strange hang....try 2 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on strange hang....try 2 - Hewlett Packard ; Monday this week, late in the day, system seemed to hang. I tried to start a fresh session, got through login, no prompt. Within minutes others reported this. Some users inside running programs still seemed to be able to work ...

  1. strange hang....try 2

    Monday this week, late in the day, system seemed to hang. I tried to start a
    fresh session, got through login, no prompt. Within minutes others reported
    this. Some users inside running programs still seemed to be able to work for
    a while . no prompt on the console, but messages were appearing there, but
    could not get a prompt - not network specific. Some attempts at login then
    got 'cant initiate new sessions now' msg. Using hipri forced a login, but no
    prompt.

    After a while we gave up and rebooted it, and its been up ok since.

    Anybody have any idea what could tie it up so tightly that no ci could get
    started? There was activity on the disks that sort of looked normal.

    N series, 1GB RAM, 2 HDD, 7gb free space, 1 x 220Mhz cpu. Max sessions 280,
    have seen it pass 250 a few times.

    thanks,

    john

  2. Re: strange hang....try 2

    Memory Dump? What were the scheduling sub-queues set to?
    Check for any users running in the 'B' or 'A' Que.

    I've had this problem before where the system would seem to hang.
    Could be someone playing with the (TUNE) sub-queues or someone run an
    application in the 'A' or 'B' queues, locking a system resource or two.

    If it happens again:

    My Solution is to logon to the 'B' queues, HELLO
    MICHAEL,MANAGER.SYS;PRI=BS

    Some M.P.E. experts may disagree with this , arguing that "You never
    log a session on to the 'B' queues", and they are Correct!
    My point is that one of the few times to log a session on the 'B'
    queues is in the exact scenario you just described, you ever mentioned
    re-boot.

    ;PRI=BS; You'll be logged on instantly if their is nothing wrong with
    your machine,
    and you can run something like GLANCE or SHOWPROC, (nothing that will
    hog resources) to find out what is bringing your machine to it knees.

    Your solution worked good too.

    Later,
    Mike.

    >>> john pitman 3/27/2007 11:43 pm >>>

    Monday this week, late in the day, system seemed to hang. I tried to
    start a
    fresh session, got through login, no prompt. Within minutes others
    reported
    this. Some users inside running programs still seemed to be able to
    work for
    a while . no prompt on the console, but messages were appearing there,
    but
    could not get a prompt - not network specific. Some attempts at login
    then
    got 'cant initiate new sessions now' msg. Using hipri forced a login,
    but no
    prompt.

    After a while we gave up and rebooted it, and its been up ok since.

    Anybody have any idea what could tie it up so tightly that no ci could
    get
    started? There was activity on the disks that sort of looked normal.

    N series, 1GB RAM, 2 HDD, 7gb free space, 1 x 220Mhz cpu. Max sessions
    280,
    have seen it pass 250 a few times.

    thanks,

    john

  3. Re: strange hang....try 2

    Michael,
    Had forgotten logging into B queue altogether! At least that would enable
    looking for culprit. We don't do any playing with queues - throughput is 99%
    adequate without that. Only a few of us have access to mpe prompt, and most
    don't know about those things.

    thanks, will file this just in case.

    john

    Memory Dump? What were the scheduling sub-queues set to?
    Check for any users running in the 'B' or 'A' Que.

    I've had this problem before where the system would seem to hang.
    Could be someone playing with the (TUNE) sub-queues or someone run an
    application in the 'A' or 'B' queues, locking a system resource or two.

    If it happens again:

    My Solution is to logon to the 'B' queues, HELLO
    MICHAEL,MANAGER.SYS;PRI=BS

    Some M.P.E. experts may disagree with this , arguing that "You never
    log a session on to the 'B' queues", and they are Correct!
    My point is that one of the few times to log a session on the 'B'
    queues is in the exact scenario you just described, you ever mentioned
    re-boot.

    ;PRI=BS; You'll be logged on instantly if their is nothing wrong with
    your machine,
    and you can run something like GLANCE or SHOWPROC, (nothing that will
    hog resources) to find out what is bringing your machine to it knees.

    Your solution worked good too.

    Later,
    Mike.

    >>> john pitman 3/27/2007 11:43 pm >>>

    Monday this week, late in the day, system seemed to hang. I tried to
    start a
    fresh session, got through login, no prompt. Within minutes others
    reported
    this. Some users inside running programs still seemed to be able to
    work for
    a while . no prompt on the console, but messages were appearing there,
    but
    could not get a prompt - not network specific. Some attempts at login
    then
    got 'cant initiate new sessions now' msg. Using hipri forced a login,
    but no
    prompt.

    After a while we gave up and rebooted it, and its been up ok since.

    Anybody have any idea what could tie it up so tightly that no ci could
    get
    started? There was activity on the disks that sort of looked normal.

    N series, 1GB RAM, 2 HDD, 7gb free space, 1 x 220Mhz cpu. Max sessions
    280,
    have seen it pass 250 a few times.

    thanks,

    john

  4. Re: strange hang....try 2

    John,

    Before you "logon" to the B queue, you best make sure you CAN.

    :ALTACCT SYS;MAXPRI=BS
    :ALTUSER MANAGER.SYS;MAXPRI=BS

    or simply

    :HELLO MANAGER.SYS
    :ALTPROC ;pri=bs;tree

    Then do a

    :SHOWPROC to confirm that you are in the B queue

    -Craig

    john pitman wrote:
    Michael,
    Had forgotten logging into B queue altogether! At least that would enable
    looking for culprit. We don't do any playing with queues - throughput is 99%
    adequate without that. Only a few of us have access to mpe prompt, and most
    don't know about those things.

    thanks, will file this just in case.

    john

    Looking for earth-friendly autos?