OT:Gingrich's Affair During Clinton Probe (Hypocrites) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT:Gingrich's Affair During Clinton Probe (Hypocrites) - Hewlett Packard ; What a bunch of hypocrites. Worthless like the rest http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...0.html?cnn=yes WASHINGTON—Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an ...

  1. OT:Gingrich's Affair During Clinton Probe (Hypocrites)

    What a bunch of hypocrites. Worthless like the rest

    http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...0.html?cnn=yes

    WASHINGTON—Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was
    having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President
    Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with
    a conservative Christian group.

    "The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential
    candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James
    Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The
    Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own
    standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

    Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a
    hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

    "The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in
    front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of
    Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice
    charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the riskof
    being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am
    not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the
    government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move
    forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

    Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept
    Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many
    conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican
    presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

    Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up
    before deciding in the fall whether to run.

    Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two
    messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

    Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his
    second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's
    relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide
    more than 20 years younger than he is.

    His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley,
    ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it,
    Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was
    recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

    Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

    "There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that
    were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back
    on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

    Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from
    Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being
    reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt
    funding to advance his political goals.

  2. Re: OT:Gingrich's Affair During Clinton Probe (Hypocrites)

    > What a bunch of hypocrites.

    Not really. For it to be hypocrisy, Newt would have had to say to a grand jury
    that he never had an affair.

    > "The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony
    > front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of
    > Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice
    > charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of
    > being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am
    > not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the
    > government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move
    > forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest
    > officials."

    That's correct. Here are the four articles of impeachment. You will find no
    article impeaching the President for having an affair:

    1. The president provided perjurious, false and misleading testimony to the
    grand jury regarding the Paula Jones case and his relationship with Monica
    Lewinsky.
    House: Passed 228-206
    Committee: Passed 21-16

    2. The president provided perjurious, false and misleading testimony in the
    Jones case in his answers to written questions and in his deposition.

    House: Failed 229-205
    Committee: Passed 20-17

    3. The president obstructed justice in an effort to delay, impede, cover up
    and conceal the existence of evidence related to the Jones case.
    House: Passed 221-212
    Committee: Passed 21-16

    4. The president misused and abused his office by making perjurious, false and
    misleading statements to Congress. (Amended by a 29-5 vote. See draft
    version.)
    House: Failed 285-148
    Committee: Passed 21-16

    Only one article passed with the strength of Republican votes. The other
    article had enough Republicans voting against it to fail but enough Democrats
    joined in to pass it.

    Today, the irony is rich as Scooter Libby was just convicted for the same
    offense that President Clinton received a $90,000 fine and (temporary)
    disbarment.