Re: Create a CSV file - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Create a CSV file - Hewlett Packard ; I also used tab but found that using a special charactor such as " | " ismore reliable. I even used the tilde for awile until I that several people were using it as an abbreviation for approximately. I also ...

  1. Re: Create a CSV file

    I also used tab but found that using a special charactor such as " | " ismore
    reliable. I even used the tilde for awile until I that several people were using it
    as an abbreviation for approximately. I also try to put the filed most likely to
    contain interfernce (freee form text) in the last position in the export file. Even
    using ODBC or ADO to read data into excel is less than 100% reliable.

  2. Re: Create a CSV file

    Whatever delimiter you choose, you MUST examine your data to ensure
    it doesn't contain this value. I've found using the POSIX "tr" command
    very helpful. I've also created an Excel macro to replace various non
    printable characters with spaces and then using the TAB character as the
    delimiter. (Of couse, I can't put my finger on it at the
    moment....DOH!)

    RAT

    Rich Trapp | Solutions Architect | Managed Business Solutions (MBS)
    (970) 494-4980 | Fax: (970) 416-1543 | Toll free: 800-421-1016 | 1201
    Oakridge Dr. Suite 301 | Fort Collins, CO 80525-5562 |
    rich.trapp@mbshome.com | www.mbshome.com

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - The information in this email and subsequent
    attachments is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
    addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
    Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail
    by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you
    have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
    immediately and delete the material from your computer.

  3. Re: Create a CSV file

    Hi All
    Rich brings up a great "Gotcha" avoider!!!

    Check your data before you do this type of thing... I used to get bit
    by phone number fields alot... thinking that they were numeric only (SRN
    Databases) but since the fields were 'X' Type (IIRC) they sometimes had
    "unprintable" characters in them (especially from one of my clerks that
    liked wearing lots of bracelets that hit keys ) Took me weeks to track
    down how and what was happening ... but that is another ramblin'

    Thanks,
    Art
    Art Bahrs, CISSP Information Security The Regence Group
    (503) 225-4992 Cell 971-244-2459 FAX (503)
    220-3806

    "Rich Trapp"
    SHOME.COM> To
    Sent by: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    "HP-3000 cc
    Systems
    Discussion" Subject
    N.UTC.EDU>

    03/08/2007
    08:54 AM

    Please respond
    "Rich Trapp"
    SHOME.COM>
    |------------|
    | [ ] Secure |
    | E-mail |
    |------------|

[...]

    ***IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.***

  4. Re: Create a CSV file

    Interesting thread.

    The "unprintable" characters issue was actually
    why I wrote the Clean command in STExport and the $clean function
    in Suprtool. Some imports were skewing of for apparently undetectable
    reasons. I don't mean this as a plug, just a comment on development
    as exporting and importing became more prevalent in our customer base,
    but I will put the plug reference around this paragraph.

    Of course some importers pay attention to "escaping" out the delimiter
    character if it appears to be part of the data, so another solution would be
    to escape out the delimeter character if found to be part of the data
    but fundamentally Rich is correct in knowing your data is key.

    Neil

    > Hi All
    > Rich brings up a great "Gotcha" avoider!!!
    >
    > Check your data before you do this type of thing... I used to get bit
    > by phone number fields alot... thinking that they were numeric only (SRN
    > Databases) but since the fields were 'X' Type (IIRC) they sometimes had
    > "unprintable" characters in them (especially from one of my clerks that
    > liked wearing lots of bracelets that hit keys ) Took me weeks to track
    > down how and what was happening ... but that is another ramblin'
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Art
    > ================================================== =====
    > Art Bahrs, CISSP Information Security The Regence Group
    > (503) 225-4992 Cell 971-244-2459 FAX (503)
    > 220-3806
    >

    > Rich Trapp:
    >

    > Whatever delimiter you choose, you MUST examine your data to ensure
    > it doesn't contain this value. I've found using the POSIX "tr" command
    > very helpful. I've also created an Excel macro to replace various non
    > printable characters with spaces and then using the TAB character as the
    > delimiter. (Of couse, I can't put my finger on it at the
    > moment....DOH!)
    >
    > RAT
    >
    > Rich Trapp | Solutions Architect | Managed Business Solutions (MBS)
    > (970) 494-4980 | Fax: (970) 416-1543 | Toll free: 800-421-1016 | 1201
    > Oakridge Dr. Suite 301 | Fort Collins, CO 80525-5562 |
    > rich.trapp@mbshome.com | www.mbshome.com
    >

    > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - The information in this email and subsequent
    > attachments is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
    > addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
    > Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail
    > by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you
    > have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
    > immediately and delete the material from your computer.

    > ***IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.***

  5. Re: Create a CSV file

    I believe shifted-backtick (~) by convention approximately.

    --Bruno

  6. Question regarding use of dual monitors

    please excuse off-topic post ... but I am searching for people who are using
    two or monitors at work or home for that matter. Interested in the
    experience of it. If you want to share thoughts on this, please contact me.
    (I'm suscribed to this list via a private account, but if you can respond to
    my work account, that would be super:
    patrick_thibodeau@computerworld.com

    Patrick Thibodeau
    Senior Editor