    From: john pitman
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:24:59 PM
    Subject: [HP3000-L] posix question.....

    I have a funny one.

    A user is running a program that creates files in a posix dir - /xyz say. A
    batch job under a different logon then ftps the files to another system, and
    renames the files to another posix dir, say /abc. This means the /abc
    files are listed as created by the batch job user.

    Next day, user runs same program again.This checks for existence of files
    in /abc dir, and all the opens fail, with errno = 50. Even if I do a
    chmod 777 on the first file, the open still fails.even though I can see the
    file as the session user, and I can cat it to the terminal..

    What am I missing here please?

    If I run the program as MGR, it all works fine..

    Thanks,

    john

    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html*

    Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/...ures_spam.html

  2. Re: posix question....

    Thanks for the ideas guys, but no wiser, but see below

    When I run the program as MGR, it works. When I run it as a lesser user,
    fails to open files that are there.
    I have changed owner of the sub directory to be that of non-mgr user, done a
    chmod 555 and then 777 on all the files, no go. Added AL and AM to user,
    still no go. Always getting a 50 from errno, but bad account doesn't make
    sense, if it works as MGR?

    Anyway, have just tried making the file name relative, rather than absolute,
    and that seems to have fixed it....but why? The user is a member of the
    account (obviously!)....

    Thanks
    john