Basic/V line counts - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Basic/V line counts - Hewlett Packard ; Hi everyone, I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools? Thanks, Moe Roshannai Triosoft, Inc. mroshan@triosoftinc.com * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list ...

  1. Basic/V line counts

    Hi everyone,

    I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code
    in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools?

    Thanks,
    Moe Roshannai
    Triosoft, Inc.
    mroshan@triosoftinc.com

  2. Re: Basic/V line counts

    Why do you want a line count? I find the only useful size indication is
    returned by the LEN command, which gives a number of words of interpreter
    code.
    Cut and paste the source into an editor and check last line number?
    Or are you after the segment size to check how near it is to maximum handled
    by segmenter?

    jp

    I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code
    in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools?

    Thanks,
    Moe Roshannai
    Triosoft, Inc.
    mroshan@triosoftinc.com

  3. Re: Basic/V line counts

    Moe,

    You may want to look at this following site as I use it whenever I don't
    have my Basic/V Pocket guide handy. It's Wirt's site and I find it most
    useful for ALL things BASIC. (It has not only every manual you could want
    concerning BASIC, it also has the instructions on how to obtain the BASIC
    interpreter and compiler for free).

    You don't mention how many times you may need to do this but you may want
    to take a look at using the LIST command and redirecting it to a flat file
    followed up with a calc finfo to determine the EOF. I mention the frequency
    only because with a little command file help this could be automated.

    Thanks Wirt for maintaining your website. Oops, I spoke to soon. The links
    to at least some of the manuals appears to need fixing ;-(

    http://www.aics-research.com/basic/index.html

    BAXTER: basic

    HP32101B.00.26(4WD) BASIC (C)HEWLETT-PACKARD CO 1979
    >exit

    END OF SUBSYSTEM
    BAXTER: build bout;rec=-80,,f,ascii;disc=200
    BAXTER: listf bout,2
    ACCOUNT= BAXTER GROUP= PUB

    FILENAME CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE----
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX

    BOUT 80B FA 0 200 3 0 0 *

    BAXTER: basic

    HP32101B.00.26(4WD) BASIC (C)HEWLETT-PACKARD CO 1979
    >get btimes.source
    >list,out=bout
    >exit

    END OF SUBSYSTEM
    BAXTER: print bout;num;page=0
    1) BTIMES
    2) 10 REM ************************************************** ***
    3) 20 REM *** CONVERT DAT$ STRING TO 6 DIGIT REPRESENTATION ***
    4) 30 REM *** FOR CHECKOUT AND IN DATE STAMP ***
    5) 40 REM ************************************************** ***
    6) 50 DIM K1$[2],K2$[2],K3$[2],R4$[8]
    7) 60 Y$="0"
    8) 70 IF DAT$(6,8)="JAN" THEN K2$="01"
    9) 80 IF DAT$(6,8)="FEB" THEN K2$="02"
    10) 90 IF DAT$(6,8)="MAR" THEN K2$="03"
    11) 100 IF DAT$(6,8)="APR" THEN K2$="04"
    12) 110 IF DAT$(6,8)="MAY" THEN K2$="05"
    13) 120 IF DAT$(6,8)="JUN" THEN K2$="06"
    14) 130 IF DAT$(6,8)="JUL" THEN K2$="07"
    15) 140 IF DAT$(6,8)="AUG" THEN K2$="08"
    16) 150 IF DAT$(6,8)="SEP" THEN K2$="09"
    17) 160 IF DAT$(6,8)="OCT" THEN K2$="10"
    18) 170 IF DAT$(6,8)="NOV" THEN K2$="11"
    19) 180 IF DAT$(6,8)="DEC" THEN K2$="12"
    20) 190 K1$=DAT$(10,11)
    21) 200 K3$=DAT$(16,17)
    22) 210 IF K1$[1,1]=" " THEN K1$=Y$+K1$[2,2]
    23) 220 R4$=K2$+"/"+K1$+"/"+K3$
    24) 230 PRINT TAB(7);R4$
    BAXTER:calc finfo("bout",19)
    24, $18, %30
    BAXTER:

    PS. there is a way to suppress the name of the file (line 1), but I can't
    recall how to due that.

    Regards,

    Reid E. Baxter

    Moe Roshannai
    OFT.COM> To
    Sent by: HP-3000 HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Systems cc
    Discussion
    TC.EDU> [HP3000-L] Basic/V line counts

    10/03/2006 06:23
    PM

    Please respond to
    mroshan@eretailso
    ft.com

    Hi everyone,

    I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code
    in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools?

    Thanks,
    Moe Roshannai
    Triosoft, Inc.
    mroshan@triosoftinc.com

    thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and
    any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
    defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
    received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
    ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
    JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
    applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
    If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
    contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,

  4. Re: Basic/V line counts

    Moe:

    Good morning.

    The best way to determine the number of lines of code is to copy the
    file to a dummy file. Retrieve the dummy file into basic and do a
    renumber by 1. This list the last line.

    The last line number is also the number of lines of code.

    Hope this helps.

    Olav.

    Moe Roshannai wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code
    >in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Moe Roshannai
    >Triosoft, Inc.
    >mroshan@triosoftinc.com

  5. Re: Basic/V line counts

    use the Phantasm basic code editor written by Gavin Scott about 23
    years ago, it was the best way to work with basic code back then by a
    long shot.

    At 08:39 AM 10/4/2006, okappert wrote:
    >Moe:
    >
    >Good morning.
    >
    >The best way to determine the number of lines of code is to copy the
    >file to a dummy file. Retrieve the dummy file into basic and do a
    >renumber by 1. This list the last line.
    >
    >The last line number is also the number of lines of code.
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >Olav.
    >
    >Moe Roshannai wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everyone,
    >>I wonder; what is the fastest way to determine the number of lines of code
    >>in a Basic/V segment. Are there any tools?
    >>Thanks,
    >>Moe Roshannai
    >>Triosoft, Inc.
    >>mroshan@triosoftinc.com
    >>

    >>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    >>* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

    Regards,

    Shawn Gordon
    President