Re: Can I sue HP for damages? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Can I sue HP for damages? - Hewlett Packard ; "Dan Caron" wrote > To Ben Myers: > I suspect that you work for, or have worked for, one of the larger OEM's. > I just want to set the record straight on something you said. > Although some OEM's ...

  1. Re: Can I sue HP for damages?

    "Dan Caron" wrote
    > To Ben Myers:
    > I suspect that you work for, or have worked for, one of the larger OEM's.
    > I just want to set the record straight on something you said.
    > Although some OEM's may substitute one unit for another in the repair
    > cycle, the OEM that I work for would never do anything of the sort.
    > Tracking a computer through the repair process is very, and I mean VERY,
    > high on the priority list in the repair facility I work in. Making sure
    > that the customer receives their own computer is of the highest
    > importance. I will not say which OEM I work for, but let's say it is in
    > the top four in the US. I would hope that the other three OEMs ahead of us
    > would not be guilty of such shenanigans.

    I have to agree with that 100%. The serial number of a machine uniquely
    identifies it, it's owner, the software licensed against it (like OEM
    Windows), and its warranty. There's no way HP or any other OEM will swap one
    machine for another just for a repair.

  2. Re: Can I sue HP for damages?

    "Jez T" wrote:
    >"Dan Caron" wrote
    >> To Ben Myers:
    >> I suspect that you work for, or have worked for, one of the larger OEM's.
    >> I just want to set the record straight on something you said.
    >> Although some OEM's may substitute one unit for another in the repair
    >> cycle, the OEM that I work for would never do anything of the sort.
    >> Tracking a computer through the repair process is very, and I mean VERY,
    >> high on the priority list in the repair facility I work in. Making sure
    >> that the customer receives their own computer is of the highest
    >> importance. I will not say which OEM I work for, but let's say it is in
    >> the top four in the US. I would hope that the other three OEMs ahead of us
    >> would not be guilty of such shenanigans.

    >I have to agree with that 100%. The serial number of a machine uniquely
    >identifies it, it's owner, the software licensed against it (like OEM
    >Windows), and its warranty. There's no way HP or any other OEM will swap one
    >machine for another just for a repair.

    Several large printer manufacturers (household names) replace printers that
    fail during warranty especially in the early days of warranty. This is usually
    at the entry to midrange end of the market. Not sure about PC's.
    Not only is it an OK thing to do but it is excellent customer service since it
    often gets the customer back printing faster.
    There are no negative effects on warranty or software licencing.
    Tony
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

  3. Re: Can I sue HP for damages?

    "Tony" wrote
    > "Jez T" wrote:
    >>I have to agree with that 100%. The serial number of a machine uniquely
    >>identifies it, it's owner, the software licensed against it (like OEM
    >>Windows), and its warranty. There's no way HP or any other OEM will swap
    >>one
    >>machine for another just for a repair.

    > Several large printer manufacturers (household names) replace printers
    > that
    > fail during warranty especially in the early days of warranty. This is
    > usually
    > at the entry to midrange end of the market. Not sure about PC's.
    > Not only is it an OK thing to do but it is excellent customer service
    > since it
    > often gets the customer back printing faster.
    > There are no negative effects on warranty or software licencing.
    > Tony
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Hmm - I was thinking PCs - not printers. Consumer PCs tend to have a
    return-to-base warranty.

    Replacing a "machine" can be discretionary, and it can be "mandatory"
    depending on the type of machine. There's a particular type of HP tape
    library that's a 'Whole unit replacement', and if you have an external HP
    DLT tape drive, they also get replaced by another one - repaired,
    refurbished, or new.

    Replacing low end printers is probably economic more than customer service.
    You can't justify the cost of tracking something that's so low margin, so
    you just swap it with another one, recover the one that's failed, and if
    it's not an easy repair, scrap it.

+ Reply to Thread