Broken power socket in Notebook - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Broken power socket in Notebook - Hewlett Packard ; Hi I have the common problem of the power socket not working properly (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). (It's an Omnibook XE2.) I decided to take the notebook apart and resolder the dodgy part. However, I removed maybe twenty little screws ...

  1. Broken power socket in Notebook

    Hi

    I have the common problem of the power socket not working properly
    (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). (It's an Omnibook XE2.) I decided to
    take the notebook apart
    and resolder the dodgy part. However, I removed maybe twenty little screws
    but still something seems to be holding the thing together. It seems like an
    invisible screw somewhere near the centre of the machine. I could well be
    hidden under a letter of the keyboard, but I don't want to risk wrecking
    the keyboard.

    Can anyone out there tell me how I can take the back off to get at the
    inside of the power socket?

    I'm aware that there are some people that I have come across in this group
    that fix machines, but I am in Dublin Ireland and as far as I can see they
    are all based in the US.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Jay.

  2. Re: Broken power socket in Notebook

    JGGS wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have the common problem of the power socket not working properly
    > (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). (It's an Omnibook XE2.) I decided to
    > take the notebook apart
    > and resolder the dodgy part. However, I removed maybe twenty little screws
    > but still something seems to be holding the thing together. It seems like an
    > invisible screw somewhere near the centre of the machine. I could well be
    > hidden under a letter of the keyboard, but I don't want to risk wrecking
    > the keyboard.
    >
    > Can anyone out there tell me how I can take the back off to get at the
    > inside of the power socket?
    >
    > I'm aware that there are some people that I have come across in this group
    > that fix machines, but I am in Dublin Ireland and as far as I can see they
    > are all based in the US.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jay.

    I have not worked on this particular model of HP notebook, but I am
    relatively sure that the screw that you are looking for is located under
    the keyboard. To lift the keyboard out of the way to get at the screw,
    most of the HP models with which I am familiar, you must remove the
    panel above the keyboard. You have to be careful with this. Sometimes
    the panel includes the hinge covers for the display. If that is the
    case, turn the computer so you are looking at the back side and look at
    the rear of the hinge covers for a screw in each side. Remove these. Now
    turn the computer back around so that you are facing the front. Most of
    the panels above the keyboard simply snap into place. Carefully insert a
    small screwdriver under the panel near the Esc key and gently pry
    upward. The panel should come loose on that end. Move the screwdriver to
    the other end of the panel and use the same prying motion. The cover
    should now be loose. If the hinge covers are part of the panel, rotate
    the screen fully to the rear so that it is almost flat. You should now
    be able to fully remove the panel. Looking at the top of the keyboard,
    you should see 3 or 4 tabs with screws in them extending from the top of
    the keyboard. Remove the screws and the you will be able to lift the
    keyboard from the top. It fits into the touchpad part of the case with
    just a few tabs that slide out easily. The keyboard is connected to the
    mainboard with a ribbon cable. Carefully remove this from the mainboard.
    You should now be able to see the screw that has been hiding from you.
    Remove this and the case should come apart.
    I have worked on many other models of HP laptops, but this one I have
    not worked on, so I may have missed the boat on some of the steps. I
    hope this will have enough info to get you past the roadblock you have
    run into. Again, go at this very gently. Don't use excess force or you
    will break something. Do this only at your own risk.

  3. Re: Broken power socket in Notebook

    That worked a treat, Dan, THANKS! Notebook now open (hope I can reassemble
    it later!) Next hurdle is to try to fix the power socket. Compared to the
    other sockets in the machine - parallel, serial, video, usb, the one that is
    probably plugged and unplugged most on a portable i.e. the power socket is
    by far the most flimsy! Funny that, planned obsolescence perhaps!!

    Thanks,

    Jay.

    "Dan" wrote in message
> [...]

    > Looking at the top of the keyboard, you should see 3 or 4 tabs with screws
    > in them extending from the top of the keyboard. Remove the screws and the
    > you will be able to lift the keyboard from the top. It fits into the
    > touchpad part of the case with just a few tabs that slide out easily. The
    > keyboard is connected to the mainboard with a ribbon cable. Carefully
    > remove this from the mainboard. You should now be able to see the screw
    > that has been hiding from you. Remove this and the case should come apart.
    > I have worked on many other models of HP laptops, but this one I have not
    > worked on, so I may have missed the boat on some of the steps. I hope this
    > will have enough info to get you past the roadblock you have run into.
    > Again, go at this very gently. Don't use excess force or you will break
    > something. Do this only at your own risk.

  4. Re: Broken power socket in Notebook

    JGGS wrote:
> [...]

    >> Looking at the top of the keyboard, you should see 3 or 4 tabs with screws
    >> in them extending from the top of the keyboard. Remove the screws and the
    >> you will be able to lift the keyboard from the top. It fits into the
    >> touchpad part of the case with just a few tabs that slide out easily. The
    >> keyboard is connected to the mainboard with a ribbon cable. Carefully
    >> remove this from the mainboard. You should now be able to see the screw
    >> that has been hiding from you. Remove this and the case should come apart.
    >> I have worked on many other models of HP laptops, but this one I have not
    >> worked on, so I may have missed the boat on some of the steps. I hope this
    >> will have enough info to get you past the roadblock you have run into.
    >> Again, go at this very gently. Don't use excess force or you will break
    >> something. Do this only at your own risk.

    I don't come out to this newsgroup very often, but I'm glad to hear
    that what I wrote helped you out. Good luck with your notebook.

  5. Re: Broken power socket in Notebook

    JGGS wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have the common problem of the power socket not working properly
    > (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). (It's an Omnibook XE2.) I decided to
    > take the notebook apart
    > and resolder the dodgy part. However, I removed maybe twenty little screws
    > but still something seems to be holding the thing together. It seems like an
    > invisible screw somewhere near the centre of the machine. I could well be
    > hidden under a letter of the keyboard, but I don't want to risk wrecking
    > the keyboard.
    >
    > Can anyone out there tell me how I can take the back off to get at the
    > inside of the power socket?
    >
    > I'm aware that there are some people that I have come across in this group
    > that fix machines, but I am in Dublin Ireland and as far as I can see they
    > are all based in the US.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jay.

    I've had the same problem in the Pavillion 5000 and 8000. GeekSquad
    says I need a new motherboard, because the socket is all one part.
    $800 motherboard for a $600 laptop? I think not.

    I now have one attached with a rubber band, and the other I hold with
    one hand (can't find a big enough band).

+ Reply to Thread