Pavilion zd8115 upgrade to XP Professional (JSF) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Pavilion zd8115 upgrade to XP Professional (JSF) - Hewlett Packard ; I just recently purchased an HP ZD8000 (8115) laptop which came preinstalled with Windows XP Home. I want to upgrade it to XP Professional, but I am concerned that there may be some issues with hardware etc. Does anyone know ...

  1. Pavilion zd8115 upgrade to XP Professional (JSF)

    I just recently purchased an HP ZD8000 (8115) laptop which came preinstalled
    with Windows XP Home. I want to upgrade it to XP Professional, but I am
    concerned that there may be some issues with hardware etc.

    Does anyone know of any issues or concerns that may exist?

    Thanks in advance

    Joe Ferraro

  2. Re: Pavilion zd8115 upgrade to XP Professional (JSF)

    In article , "Joseph Ferraro" writes:
    :I just recently purchased an HP ZD8000 (8115) laptop which came preinstalled
    :with Windows XP Home. I want to upgrade it to XP Professional, but I am
    :concerned that there may be some issues with hardware etc.

    The HP Pavillion zd8000 system can be acquired with Windows XP Home,
    Windows XP Professional, and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    pre-loaded.

    The HP Pavillion zd8000 series often has Windows MCE 2005 loaded, which
    falls somewhere between Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional in
    terms of its XP-based capabilities, though with the obvious multimedia
    capabilities added onto the Windows XP base.

    oes anyone know of any issues or concerns that may exist?

    Windows XP Professional is supported on this particular system, per
    the published specifications.

    If I were performing this reload, I would acquire the Microsoft media
    distribution kit and the requisite Microsoft service packs, and I would
    acquire the HP Pavillion softpacks (drivers, etc) onto a CD or DVD (or
    acquire the HP distribution media, as available), and I might well choose
    to reinitialize the whole disk before loading Windows XP Professional;
    I'd tend to load onto a blank disk rather than attempting an upgrade.

    (This is largely based on my personal preference, having performed a
    few of these Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional switch-overs.
    It particularly allows repartitioning of the disks appropriately for
    subsequent dual-boot operations, or for placing Windows itself in one
    partition and user files in another, etc.)

    If you have any of your own files resident on the system before the
    reload, to save it off to off-line storage media and/or to another system.

    I would also look at Windows MCE.

    --

    I am not working within any HP group even remotely affilliated with
    the Pavillion systems, and I certainly do not speak for the Pavillion

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  3. Re: Pavilion zd8115 upgrade to XP Professional (JSF)

    Agreed. Upgrades from Win 98 or Win ME to Windows XP suck. That summarizes my
    experiences with them... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:45:06 GMT, hoff@hp.nospam (Hoff Hoffman) wrote:

    >In article , "Joseph Ferraro" writes:
    >:I just recently purchased an HP ZD8000 (8115) laptop which came preinstalled
    >:with Windows XP Home. I want to upgrade it to XP Professional, but I am
    >:concerned that there may be some issues with hardware etc.
    >
    > The HP Pavillion zd8000 system can be acquired with Windows XP Home,
    > Windows XP Professional, and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > pre-loaded.
    >
    > The HP Pavillion zd8000 series often has Windows MCE 2005 loaded, which
    > falls somewhere between Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional in
    > terms of its XP-based capabilities, though with the obvious multimedia
    > capabilities added onto the Windows XP base.
    >
    >oes anyone know of any issues or concerns that may exist?
    >
    > Windows XP Professional is supported on this particular system, per
    > the published specifications.
    >
    > If I were performing this reload, I would acquire the Microsoft media
    > distribution kit and the requisite Microsoft service packs, and I would
    > acquire the HP Pavillion softpacks (drivers, etc) onto a CD or DVD (or
    > acquire the HP distribution media, as available), and I might well choose
    > to reinitialize the whole disk before loading Windows XP Professional;
    > I'd tend to load onto a blank disk rather than attempting an upgrade.
    >
    > (This is largely based on my personal preference, having performed a
    > few of these Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional switch-overs.
    > It particularly allows repartitioning of the disks appropriately for
    > subsequent dual-boot operations, or for placing Windows itself in one
    > partition and user files in another, etc.)
    >
    > If you have any of your own files resident on the system before the
    > reload, to save it off to off-line storage media and/or to another system.
    >
    > I would also look at Windows MCE.
    >
    > --
    >
    > I am not working within any HP group even remotely affilliated with
    > the Pavillion systems, and I certainly do not speak for the Pavillion
    > engineers, nor for HP in general.

    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

+ Reply to Thread