Curiosity question. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Curiosity question. - Hewlett Packard ; I recwntly baought an HP A1030E pc. I have created the restore discs as recommended. My question is what if sat XP gets corrupted or another program that was installed on the pc. How do you restore just XP? Or ...

  1. Curiosity question.

    I recwntly baought an HP A1030E pc. I have created the restore discs as
    recommended. My question is what if sat XP gets corrupted or another program
    that was installed on the pc. How do you restore just XP? Or do you have to
    restore the entire pc to factory defaults?
    I really hate they don't give you any discs. Everything in mirrored on a D:
    drive.

  2. Re: Curiosity question.

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > I recwntly baought an HP A1030E pc. I have created the restore discs as
    > recommended. My question is what if sat XP gets corrupted or another program
    > that was installed on the pc. How do you restore just XP? Or do you have to
    > restore the entire pc to factory defaults?
    > I really hate they don't give you any discs. Everything in mirrored on a D:
    > drive.

    The newer HP restore disks will give you the option of either just
    restoring the system files (leaving data files intact) or performing a
    full format and restore.

  3. Re: Curiosity question.

    Dan,
    Thanks for replying. I did try that, and boy didi it mess up my system.
    HP (per usual) wasn't able to explain it. Sure *data* may have been left in
    place,
    but the progs. that had been added were messed up.
    PC Had to be restored to factory settings. I had to restore from my b/u.
    At least I had made one.

    "Dan" wrote in message
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >> I recwntly baought an HP A1030E pc. I have created the restore discs as
    >> recommended. My question is what if sat XP gets corrupted or another
    >> program that was installed on the pc. How do you restore just XP? Or do
    >> you have to restore the entire pc to factory defaults?
    >> I really hate they don't give you any discs. Everything in mirrored on a
    >> D: drive.
    >>

    > The newer HP restore disks will give you the option of either just
    > restoring the system files (leaving data files intact) or performing a
    > full format and restore.

  4. Re: Curiosity question.

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > Dan,
    > Thanks for replying. I did try that, and boy didi it mess up my system.
    > HP (per usual) wasn't able to explain it. Sure *data* may have been left in
    > place,
    > but the progs. that had been added were messed up.
    > PC Had to be restored to factory settings. I had to restore from my b/u.
    > At least I had made one.
    >

    > "Dan" wrote in message
    >
    >>Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recwntly baought an HP A1030E pc. I have created the restore discs as
    >>>recommended. My question is what if sat XP gets corrupted or another
    >>>program that was installed on the pc. How do you restore just XP? Or do
    >>>you have to restore the entire pc to factory defaults?
    >>>I really hate they don't give you any discs. Everything in mirrored on a
    >>>D: drive.
    >>>

    >>The newer HP restore disks will give you the option of either just
    >>restoring the system files (leaving data files intact) or performing a
    >>full format and restore.

    Glad to hear you had a backup. I probably should have clarified my
    answer a bit better. The "non-destructive" restore that HP has will, in
    fact, leave data files in place. BUT, in most cases, you will have to
    reinstall applications to correct Registry entries applying to the
    applications that you have installed after purchase. I work with HP
    restores all the time and sometimes it works out that applications work
    just fine. Other times I have come up with the problem that you experienced.

  5. Re: Curiosity question.

    Dan,
    I am sure many people are satisfied w/HP. But lets just say I am not one.
    While I think their printers are very good, their pc's are another story.
    I had a prob. that led them to have me do the non-destructive, then
    destructive
    restores. When this failed to correct the prob. they decided it looked like
    a video card prob.
    They sent me 6 cards. All wrong. 1 was even a PCI Expres card which this box
    has no slot.
    So now they want me to ship the pc back to them for a 'bench check'.

    In the meantime it looks like I resolved the prob. It looks like it was a
    prob. w/Symantec Inet. Sec. 2005.
    Btw, this is also something they package w/the pc.

    I have made so much noise w/them that when I called telling them I needed a
    pwr. pack for the speakers
    that came w/the F1905 monitor and they sent me the little connector cable,
    that they are sending me a Logitec 2.1
    speaker/subwoofer kit. I really dread dealing w/them.

    Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

    ..
    "Dan" wrote in message
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >> Dan,
    >> Thanks for replying. I did try that, and boy didi it mess up my system.
    >> HP (per usual) wasn't able to explain it. Sure *data* may have been left
    >> in place,
    >> but the progs. that had been added were messed up.
    >> PC Had to be restored to factory settings. I had to restore from my b/u.
    >> At least I had made one.
    >>

    >> "Dan" wrote in message

    >>>The newer HP restore disks will give you the option of either just
    >>>restoring the system files (leaving data files intact) or performing a
    >>>full format and restore.

    > Glad to hear you had a backup. I probably should have clarified my answer
    > a bit better. The "non-destructive" restore that HP has will, in fact,
    > leave data files in place. BUT, in most cases, you will have to reinstall
    > applications to correct Registry entries applying to the applications that
    > you have installed after purchase. I work with HP restores all the time
    > and sometimes it works out that applications work just fine. Other times I
    > have come up with the problem that you experienced.

  6. Re: Curiosity question.

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > Dan,
    > I am sure many people are satisfied w/HP. But lets just say I am not one.
    > While I think their printers are very good, their pc's are another story.
    > I had a prob. that led them to have me do the non-destructive, then
    > destructive
    > restores. When this failed to correct the prob. they decided it looked like
    > a video card prob.
    > They sent me 6 cards. All wrong. 1 was even a PCI Expres card which this box
    > has no slot.
    > So now they want me to ship the pc back to them for a 'bench check'.
    >
    > In the meantime it looks like I resolved the prob. It looks like it was a
    > prob. w/Symantec Inet. Sec. 2005.
    > Btw, this is also something they package w/the pc.
    >
    > I have made so much noise w/them that when I called telling them I needed a
    > pwr. pack for the speakers
    > that came w/the F1905 monitor and they sent me the little connector cable,
    > that they are sending me a Logitec 2.1
    > speaker/subwoofer kit. I really dread dealing w/them.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
    >
    > .
    > "Dan" wrote in message
    >
    >>Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dan,
    >>>Thanks for replying. I did try that, and boy didi it mess up my system.
    >>>HP (per usual) wasn't able to explain it. Sure *data* may have been left
    >>>in place,
    >>>but the progs. that had been added were messed up.
    >>>PC Had to be restored to factory settings. I had to restore from my b/u.
    >>>At least I had made one.
    >>>

    >>>"Dan" wrote in message

    >>Glad to hear you had a backup. I probably should have clarified my answer
    >>a bit better. The "non-destructive" restore that HP has will, in fact,
    >>leave data files in place. BUT, in most cases, you will have to reinstall
    >>applications to correct Registry entries applying to the applications that
    >>you have installed after purchase. I work with HP restores all the time
    >>and sometimes it works out that applications work just fine. Other times I
    >>have come up with the problem that you experienced.

    I can sympathize with your dread. I have to deal with their telephonic
    "support" quite often. It really gets my goat when I know exactly what
    the problem is and I have to let them lead me around by the nose for 15
    or 20 minutes so that they can come up with the same conclusion I gave
    them at the very beginning of the call. Besides that, sometimes I can't
    understand what they are saying at all (read: deep East Indian accent)
    so that I spend most of my time saying "Could you repeat that ,
    please?". Yeah, they drive me nuts, too.

+ Reply to Thread