HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP! - Hewlett Packard ; Was working fine last night, woke up this morning & my pc was off so I attempted to power on as usual except when I pushed the power button, nothing happened. I even held it in for a few seconds ...

  1. HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP!

    Was working fine last night, woke up this morning & my pc was off so I
    attempted to power on as usual except when I pushed the power button,
    nothing happened. I even held it in for a few seconds & still nothing.
    I did notice in the back right next to where the power cable plugs into
    the pc that a green light was lit so there's power going to the pc, I
    just can't turn the thing on with the power button. I then opened the
    box & cleaned everything with a can of air but still....NOTHING. Does
    anyone have any significant suggestions? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP!

    D wrote:
    > Was working fine last night, woke up this morning & my pc was off so I
    > attempted to power on as usual except when I pushed the power button,
    > nothing happened. I even held it in for a few seconds & still nothing.
    > I did notice in the back right next to where the power cable plugs into
    > the pc that a green light was lit so there's power going to the pc, I
    > just can't turn the thing on with the power button. I then opened the
    > box & cleaned everything with a can of air but still....NOTHING. Does
    > anyone have any significant suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Don't let that little green light fool you. I have seen P.S.'s with the
    green light lit that are bad. My first guess would be power supply, but
    it could be motherboard, ram, cpu or a bad pci card. It could even be
    the switch on the front of the case. Something you might try. Remove all
    power from the computer, that is, unplug it. Then hold the power button
    in for a full minute. Now, plug the computer in and try to power cycle
    it. If it comes on, great. If it doesn't, you'll probably have to get it
    to a tech to have it diagnosed.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP!

    I'm getting somewhere...I unplugged all the drive connections just to
    see if there was a short somewhere but still no power SO...I borrowed a
    power supply box from a compaq, hooked up the main power connection on
    the MB & low & behold..the thing powered right up. Am I to assume it's
    indeed the power supply? If so I need to buy one that fits my unit
    because the compaq supply was too large in physical size. Thanks.

  4. Re: HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP!

    D wrote:
    > I'm getting somewhere...I unplugged all the drive connections just to
    > see if there was a short somewhere but still no power SO...I borrowed a
    > power supply box from a compaq, hooked up the main power connection on
    > the MB & low & behold..the thing powered right up. Am I to assume it's
    > indeed the power supply? If so I need to buy one that fits my unit
    > because the compaq supply was too large in physical size. Thanks.

    Go ahead and plug all your drives back in. If the computer powers up
    with the replacement, you can be sure the original PS is faulty. Finding
    those replacement HP supplies can be a bit difficult, but remember, EBAY
    is our friend. Just do a search for "HP power supply" and you'll return
    a couple pages of new and used supplies for sale.

  5. Re: HP Pavilion 520n No Power - PLEASE HELP!

    Looks like it was indeed the power supply, things have been running
    smooth for the past few days. PC is quieter also. Thanks to all for the
    tips.

+ Reply to Thread