HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password - Hewlett Packard ; I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS and used the option to reset the password for the admin ...

  1. HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

    I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came
    with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS
    and used the option to reset the password for the admin and also for
    the drivelock. I entered the old passwords for each and in the new
    password and confirm password field I just hit the Enter key. Now the
    power on password won't accept the enter key (blank field) or the old
    password. I cannot access floppy drive or bios as it comes on as soon
    as the POST test completes. I have disassembled the laptop and removed
    the CMOS battery but I have heard the passwords are stored in a
    security chip on the mobo. Is there any way to reset this password, get
    ahold of the admin password, or short out the password chip, resetting
    the security chip? I tried to call HP, but as I looked at the bottom of
    the laptop, the serial number label is gone. The guy my friend bought
    it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
    or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
    s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

    madscientist wrote:
    > I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came
    > with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS
    > and used the option to reset the password for the admin and also for
    > the drivelock. I entered the old passwords for each and in the new
    > password and confirm password field I just hit the Enter key. Now the
    > power on password won't accept the enter key (blank field) or the old
    > password. I cannot access floppy drive or bios as it comes on as soon
    > as the POST test completes. I have disassembled the laptop and removed
    > the CMOS battery but I have heard the passwords are stored in a
    > security chip on the mobo. Is there any way to reset this password, get
    > ahold of the admin password, or short out the password chip, resetting
    > the security chip? I tried to call HP, but as I looked at the bottom of
    > the laptop, the serial number label is gone. The guy my friend bought
    > it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
    > or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
    > s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

    Best bet I can think of is to check Ebay. There are some sellers out
    there that sell the chip the password is stored on. You would need to
    purchase the chip and then find someone with the necessary skills to
    disassemble the laptop, remove the old chip and solder in the new one. I
    am a computer tech that had to deal with this exact problem on this same
    model of laptop. Believe me, I wasted a whole lot of time trying to hack
    my way through this problem. The only other alternative would be to
    replace the entire system board. (That is what I ended up doing.)
    After purchasing the chip (usually about $100.00) and then paying a tech
    to do the work you might end up paying what you might have to spend for
    a used motherboard.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

    I have found a company that selld the security IC chips. I think I am
    able to replace it myself as I have the tools necessary to disassemble
    and desolder/solder. I have installed mod chips for people on ps2's and
    xbox's, so I am familiar with the process. The only thing is I am
    wondering is if I should purchase the password recovery service for an
    extra $50, since I did the same thing to change the drivelock password.
    Once I do all this work I may end up running into the same issue with
    the drivelock password. Thanks for the info though. I see the used
    mobos go for over 200 bucks on ebay.

  4. Re: HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

    Mad: There is very likely an alternate or "backdoor" BIOS powerup
    password that will work. See:
    Backdoor BIOS passwords: http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html,
    http://www.labmice.net/articles/BIOS_hack.htm,
    http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml,
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?cmospwd.html

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 9 Sep 2005 09:07:21 -0700, "madscientist" wrote:

    -|I have found a company that selld the security IC chips. I think I am
    -|able to replace it myself as I have the tools necessary to disassemble
    -|and desolder/solder. I have installed mod chips for people on ps2's and
    -|xbox's, so I am familiar with the process. The only thing is I am
    -|wondering is if I should purchase the password recovery service for an
    -|extra $50, since I did the same thing to change the drivelock password.
    -|Once I do all this work I may end up running into the same issue with
    -|the drivelock password. Thanks for the info though. I see the used
    -|mobos go for over 200 bucks on ebay.

  5. Re: HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

    Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    > Mad: There is very likely an alternate or "backdoor" BIOS powerup
    > password that will work. See:
    > Backdoor BIOS passwords: http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html,
    > http://www.labmice.net/articles/BIOS_hack.htm,
    > http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml,
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?cmospwd.html
    >
    > Skip Knoble, Penn State
    >
    > On 9 Sep 2005 09:07:21 -0700, "madscientist" wrote:
    >
    > -|I have found a company that selld the security IC chips. I think I am
    > -|able to replace it myself as I have the tools necessary to disassemble
    > -|and desolder/solder. I have installed mod chips for people on ps2's and
    > -|xbox's, so I am familiar with the process. The only thing is I am
    > -|wondering is if I should purchase the password recovery service for an
    > -|extra $50, since I did the same thing to change the drivelock password.
    > -|Once I do all this work I may end up running into the same issue with
    > -|the drivelock password. Thanks for the info though. I see the used
    > -|mobos go for over 200 bucks on ebay.

    When I was working this problem, I tried every back door password I
    could dig up off the Internet but no dice. I'm sure that one exists,
    though, so HP can reset them in the case of a lost or forgotten pwd. I
    tried a program called "bios320" that would give me a working password
    for my desktop, but it would not return a working password for the laptop.

+ Reply to Thread