Pavillion Windows XP corrupt - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Pavillion Windows XP corrupt - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, My mother managed to corrupt the systems directory on her HP Pavilion computer. She also threw away the system cd-rom's with the box. I purchased her an upgrade to XP professional but it will not install without the previous ...

  1. Pavillion Windows XP corrupt

    Hello,
    My mother managed to corrupt the systems directory on her HP Pavilion
    computer. She also threw away the system cd-rom's with the box. I
    purchased her an upgrade to XP professional but it will not install without
    the previous CD systems disk. How to I get the upgrade to read that there
    is already Windows XP on the hard drive? She purchased two systems, the WP
    home that was installed and the new XP professional so this is NOT trying to
    get something without paying. Any help will be received gratefully.

    Lance

  2. Re: Pavillion Windows XP corrupt

    "Lance" wrote in message
    news:EVZCe.5131$dU3.1267@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > Hello,
    > My mother managed to corrupt the systems directory on her HP Pavilion
    > computer. She also threw away the system cd-rom's with the box. I
    > purchased her an upgrade to XP professional but it will not install
    > without the previous CD systems disk. How to I get the upgrade to read
    > that there is already Windows XP on the hard drive? She purchased two
    > systems, the WP home that was installed and the new XP professional so
    > this is NOT trying to get something without paying. Any help will be
    > received gratefully.
    >
    > Lance

    Do you have any old Win98 or WinME disks from another old computers around?
    Any of those will work. It doesn't have to be the disk from THAT machine.
    All you need it for is to read a Windows CD so it can continue with the
    install. I recently did a clean install of WindowsXP Home Edition on one of
    my Pavilions when I had to do a system recovery and found that disk #6 of my
    HP recovery disks was corrupt. I couldn't afford to wait to have one
    shipped so I ran to Office Depot and bought and upgrade of WinXP and had to
    dig around in my old computer stuff to find an old WinME disk, but it did
    the trick.

+ Reply to Thread