USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197 - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is ...

  1. USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    Hi,

    Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a
    USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a
    speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external
    hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and
    the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after.

    The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this
    is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service
    for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called ago and
    they refused to service it by claiming that this is a compatibility
    issue.

    Thanks for your help.

    Zhixin

  2. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a
    > USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a
    > speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external
    > hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and
    > the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after.
    >
    > The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this
    > is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service
    > for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called ago and
    > they refused to service it by claiming that this is a compatibility
    > issue.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Zhixin

    Did you ever do the forced-install of the driver(s) that I advised in
    my March 28 article
    ()?

    No offense, but not reporting back and re-posting, several months
    later, without a reference to the old thread is not very nice/
    productive.

    In any case, post the *complete* "Driver File Details" for *all*
    devices in the relevant Universal Serial Bus Controller" subtree in
    the Device Manager.

    I.e. do Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
    -> open the "Universal Serial Bus Controller" device subtree and for
    *each* of the devices, double-click on the device to get the Properties
    window, go to the Driver tab, click Driver Details... and for *each* of
    the listed "Driver files:", list the path/Provider:/File version:/
    Copyright:/Digital Signer:.

  3. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    Sorry, Frank. I am so frustrated by this issue. I tried a lot of
    configuration staff and I remember posted some info about the driver
    files to the group. I have given up on configuration already actually.
    I just want to know if somebody's got a same model of Presario and had
    this same problem as mine.

    Thank you very much for your hep. I am going to post the *complete*
    config info soon.

    Regards,

    Zhixin

  4. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    Hi Frank:

    For Windows XP, the CD coming with the USB PCMCIA card only contains
    two files in its filter_nt directory, named vulfnthsys and vulfntr.sys.
    It has a complete set of driver files for Win98/me. The following is
    the description for the filter/driver files in the readme file:

    \Filter_nt: Filter drivers for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    \Win98&ME: VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller Driver and Filter Drivers for

    I followed the steps you gave in your previous email to try to force
    install the a driver other than the Standard USB Host Controller (did
    it first time in March, as described in our discussions:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...69518fda5a50bf).
    After "Don't search. I will choose the driver
    to install. -> Next ->", I saw "(Standard USB Host Controller)"
    and "VIA Technologies" in the Manufacturer's list after the
    "Show compatible hardware" checkbox is unchecked. Highlighting VIA
    Technologies in the Manufacturer list, I selected VIA USB Enhanced Host
    Controller in the Model list and installed it.

    However, after the installation of host controller driver, the
    "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard, The wizard helps you
    install software for: USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" message didn't appear.

    The driver files VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller are as the following
    (all from Microsoft):

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

    After this, I inserted the driver CD and installed the driver there for
    WinXP. The device name VIA Enhanced Host Controller was changed to VIA
    USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller I got one more file in the driver file
    list, which is:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32vulfnth.sys (from VIA Technologies, Inc., file
    version 2.49)

    After this, I still don't see the "Welcome to the Found New
    Hardware Wizard, The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0
    Root Hub Device" message come out. But I found that three of the four
    USB Root Hut have a driver file added to the driver file list, called
    "vulfntr.sys" (file version 2.60)

    Now the speed is the same as the other IBM notebook with a USB PCMCIA
    card. Transfering one GB takes about 8 minutes. I think this is the
    best I can get.

    Even switching back to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    driver gives the same speed.

    Thanks a lot.

    Zhixin
    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a
    > > USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a
    > > speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external
    > > hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and
    > > the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after.
    > >
    > > The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this
    > > is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service
    > > for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called ago and
    > > they refused to service it by claiming that this is a compatibility
    > > issue.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Zhixin

    > Did you ever do the forced-install of the driver(s) that I advised in
    > my March 28 article
    > ()?
    >
    > No offense, but not reporting back and re-posting, several months
    > later, without a reference to the old thread is not very nice/
    > productive.
    >
    > In any case, post the *complete* "Driver File Details" for *all*
    > devices in the relevant Universal Serial Bus Controller" subtree in
    > the Device Manager.
    >
    > I.e. do Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
    > -> open the "Universal Serial Bus Controller" device subtree and for
    > *each* of the devices, double-click on the device to get the Properties
    > window, go to the Driver tab, click Driver Details... and for *each* of
    > the listed "Driver files:", list the path/Provider:/File version:/
    > Copyright:/Digital Signer:.

  5. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    Hi Frank:

    For Windows XP, the CD coming with the USB PCMCIA card only contains
    two files in its filter_nt directory, named vulfnthsys and vulfntr.sys.

    It has a complete set of driver files for Win 98/me. The following is
    the description for the filter/driver files in the readme file of the
    CD:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b379f89d20a709).

    After "Don't search. I will choose the driver
    to install. -> Next ->", I saw "(Standard USB Host Controller)"
    and "VIA Technologies" in the Manufacturer's list after the
    "Show compatible hardware" checkbox is unchecked. Highlighting "VIA
    Technologies" in the Manufacturer list, I selected "VIA USB
    Enhanced Host
    Controller" in the Model list and installed it.

    However, after the installation of host controller driver, the
    "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard, The wizard helps you
    install software for: USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" message didn't appear.

    The driver files VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller are as the following
    (all from Microsoft):

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll Microsoft 5.1.2600.0
    (xpclient.010817-1148)

    After this, I inserted the driver CD and installed the driver there for

    Win XP. The device name VIA Enhanced Host Controller was changed to VIA

    USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. I got one more file in the driver
    file
    list, which is:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32vulfnth.sys (from VIA Technologies, Inc., file
    version 2.49)

    After this, I still don't see the "Welcome to the Found New
    Hardware Wizard, The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0
    Root Hub Device" message come out. But I found that three of the four
    USB Root Hubs have a driver file added to the driver file list, called
    "vulfntr.sys" (VIA Technologies, Inc., file version 2.60)

    Now the speed is the same as the other IBM notebook I tried on with
    this and other two USB PCMCIA cards. Transferring one GB takes about 8
    minutes. I think this is the
    best I can get.

    Now even switching back to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

    driver gives the same speed.

    Thanks a lot.

    Zhixin

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a
    > > USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a
    > > speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external
    > > hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and
    > > the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after.
    > >
    > > The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this
    > > is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service
    > > for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called ago and
    > > they refused to service it by claiming that this is a compatibility
    > > issue.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Zhixin

    > Did you ever do the forced-install of the driver(s) that I advised in
    > my March 28 article
    > ()?
    >
    > No offense, but not reporting back and re-posting, several months
    > later, without a reference to the old thread is not very nice/
    > productive.
    >
    > In any case, post the *complete* "Driver File Details" for *all*
    > devices in the relevant Universal Serial Bus Controller" subtree in
    > the Device Manager.
    >
    > I.e. do Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
    > -> open the "Universal Serial Bus Controller" device subtree and for
    > *each* of the devices, double-click on the device to get the Properties
    > window, go to the Driver tab, click Driver Details... and for *each* of
    > the listed "Driver files:", list the path/Provider:/File version:/
    > Copyright:/Digital Signer:.

  6. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    Hi Frank:

    For Windows XP, the CD coming with the USB PCMCIA card only contains
    two files in its filter_nt directory, named vulfnth.sys and
    vulfntr.sys. It has a complete set of driver files for Win 98/me. The
    following is the description for the filter/driver files in the readme
    file of the CD:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f4bf09777c603e).
    After "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. -> Next ->",
    I saw "(Standard USB Host Controller)" and "VIA Technologies" in the
    Manufacturer's list after the "Show compatible hardware" checkbox is
    unchecked. Highlighting "VIA Technologies" in the Manufacturer
    list, I selected "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" in the Model
    list and installed it.

    However, after the installation of host controller driver, the "Welcome
    to the Found New Hardware Wizard, The wizard helps you install software
    for: USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" message didn't appear.

    The driver files for VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller are as the
    following (all from Microsoft):

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll Microsoft 5.1.2600.1106
    (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll Microsoft 5.1.2600.0
    (xpclient.010817-1148)

    After this, I inserted the driver CD and installed the driver there for
    Win XP. The device name VIA Enhanced Host Controller was changed to VIA
    USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. I got one more file in the driver
    file list, which is:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32vulfnth.sys (from VIA Technologies, Inc., file
    version 2.49)

    After this, I still don't see the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware
    Wizard, The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0 Root Hub
    Device" message come out. But I found that three of the four USB Root
    Hubs have a driver file added to the driver file list, called
    "vulfntr.sys" (VIA Technologies, Inc., file version 2.60)

    Now the speed is the same as the other IBM notebook I tried on with
    this and other two USB PCMCIA cards. Transferring one GB takes about 8
    minutes. I think this is the best I can get.

    Now even switching back to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    driver gives the same speed.

    Thanks a lot.

    Zhixin

  7. Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Presario 2197

    On June 28, zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Frank:

    Hi, Zhixin. Thanks for you response. I finally came around to (really)
    read it and respond to it. I was on holiday/vacation and after that
    there were thousand of articles to catch up on.

    [much deleted]

    > After this, I inserted the driver CD and installed the driver there for
    > Win XP. The device name VIA Enhanced Host Controller was changed to VIA
    > USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. I got one more file in the driver
    > file list, which is:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32vulfnth.sys (from VIA Technologies, Inc., file
    > version 2.49)
    >
    > After this, I still don't see the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware
    > Wizard, The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0 Root Hub
    > Device" message come out. But I found that three of the four USB Root
    > Hubs have a driver file added to the driver file list, called
    > "vulfntr.sys" (VIA Technologies, Inc., file version 2.60)

    It seems that your case (of "force installing" the driver(s)) was even
    more difficult than mine, but now you got the two VIA-specific drivers
    (vulfnth.sys and vulfntr.sys) from the VIA CD installed, so all looks
    fine, which you confirmed with:

    > Now the speed is the same as the other IBM notebook I tried on with
    > this and other two USB PCMCIA cards. Transferring one GB takes about 8
    > minutes. I think this is the best I can get.

    This part:

    > Now even switching back to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    > driver gives the same speed.

    is still strange, but sometimes I have the same effect (i.e. a "Standard
    Enhanced PCI to USB Open Host Controller" device instead of the (in my
    case) "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device, but with the correct/fast/2.0
    speed), so I wouldn't worry too much about that! :-)

    > Thanks a lot.

    You're welcome.

    > Zhixin

    [Copy of full posting for reference:]
> [...]
    > Win XP. The device name VIA Enhanced Host Controller was changed to VIA
    > USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. I got one more file in the driver
    > file list, which is:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32vulfnth.sys (from VIA Technologies, Inc., file
    > version 2.49)
    >
    > After this, I still don't see the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware
    > Wizard, The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0 Root Hub
    > Device" message come out. But I found that three of the four USB Root
    > Hubs have a driver file added to the driver file list, called
    > "vulfntr.sys" (VIA Technologies, Inc., file version 2.60)
    >
    > Now the speed is the same as the other IBM notebook I tried on with
    > this and other two USB PCMCIA cards. Transferring one GB takes about 8
    > minutes. I think this is the best I can get.
    >
    > Now even switching back to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

+ Reply to Thread