Replacing power supply on HP Pavillion 501a - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Replacing power supply on HP Pavillion 501a - Hewlett Packard ; My sis has the above model given to her second hand a few years ago. Recently she's been having problems with the pc constantly shutting down. Her tech support person at her place of work told her it's most likely ...

  1. Replacing power supply on HP Pavillion 501a

    My sis has the above model given to her second hand a few years ago.
    Recently she's been having problems with the pc constantly shutting down.
    Her tech support person at her place of work told her it's most likely a
    power supply issue. I did a search and the only info on a replacement I
    came across is here: http://snipurl.com/fk37.

    Couple of questions, 1. is there any place that sells them cheaper (note: I
    did do a google search but could only come up with PS's for HPs in genral,
    not the particular model) and 2. Is the replacement simple and
    straightforward or best left to a repair shop.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: Replacing power supply on HP Pavillion 501a

    ftran999 wrote:
    > My sis has the above model given to her second hand a few years ago.
    > Recently she's been having problems with the pc constantly shutting down.
    > Her tech support person at her place of work told her it's most likely a
    > power supply issue. I did a search and the only info on a replacement I
    > came across is here: http://snipurl.com/fk37.
    >
    > Couple of questions, 1. is there any place that sells them cheaper (note: I
    > did do a google search but could only come up with PS's for HPs in genral,
    > not the particular model)

    You could measure it. It's probably a standard ATX supply. You could get
    low-end replacements for half of that price with twice the power at any
    computer shop.

    > and 2. Is the replacement simple and
    > straightforward or best left to a repair shop.

    It's generally four screws, and plugging in a bunch of connectors. If you
    halfway know what you're doing, then it's straighforward.

    The problem is likely the supply, but you should check that all fans are
    running also. Reseating RAM modules and PCI cards is also a good thing,
    as is checking all other cables to make sure they're fully plugged in.
    Not impossible it's a software problem. A machine this age would benefit
    greatly from a clean install of the OS.

    Before doing anything, do a full backup of the system, as there's some chance
    you could break the system.

    Good luck,
    Dave

    > Thanks in advance for your help.

  3. Re: Replacing power supply on HP Pavillion 501a

    ftran999 wrote:
    > My sis has the above model given to her second hand a few years ago.
    > Recently she's been having problems with the pc constantly shutting down.
    > Her tech support person at her place of work told her it's most likely a
    > power supply issue. I did a search and the only info on a replacement I
    > came across is here: http://snipurl.com/fk37.
    >
    > Couple of questions, 1. is there any place that sells them cheaper (note: I
    > did do a google search but could only come up with PS's for HPs in genral,
    > not the particular model) and 2. Is the replacement simple and
    > straightforward or best left to a repair shop.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    Power supply in your model is MicroATX form factor. As long as the power
    supply you purchase is the required (min) 200 Watt as originally
    installed in your system and is the correct form factor (MicroATX), all
    connectors will be correct. Be sure to get a MicroATX as a standard ATX
    supply has too great a depth to clear the Optical drives. This type of
    power supply is the same supply installed on all of the Hp systems that
    I have worked on. This is definitely a good DIY project as it only
    involves 4 screws and a handful of power connections. The main things to
    look out for are aligning the connectors correctly and care when
    removing and replacing the main connector to the motherboard. There is a
    catch on the side of the connector that must be depressed when removing
    the connector. Also, be sure on all connectors not to pull the wire, but
    actually grasp the connector itself.

+ Reply to Thread