HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help - Hewlett Packard ; We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and darker ...

  1. HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.

    It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.

    I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    worthwile.

  2. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    In message <1118411879.289771.98670@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, JJ
    Jones writes
    >We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    >continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    >page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    >darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.
    >
    >It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    >and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.
    >
    >I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    >fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    >some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    >worthwile.

    Its almost certainly not worth repairing them. IIRC if you pull down
    the front cover and look sort of centre top inside just above the toner
    cartridge there is a brightness slider, fiddling with that may help.

    --
    Timothy

  3. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    My wild guess is that the fuser warms up just enough to make it through the
    power-on diagnostic test, but not warm enough to really burn the image onto a
    page. With each successive page printed, the fuser gets warmer and warmer. I
    suspect either the fuser or the power supply for the fuser.

    Though very old and very reliable, these printers are not worth the cost or time
    to repair. Next thing you know, another part will wear out. I recommend
    replacing with a reconditioned LaserJet 5 or LaserJet 4000 series model. Both
    are pretty good on space occupied, both get lots of pages out a single toner
    cartridge.

    The newer LaserJets (and Dell and Lexmark) are victims of the games now played
    by all printer manufacturers. Toner cartridges have low capacity, so your
    wallet gets sucked dry replacing cartridges regularly. The printer mfrs have
    seen what cash cows the inkjet cartridges are, so they've done the same with
    laser printers... Ben Myers

    On 10 Jun 2005 06:57:59 -0700, "JJ Jones" wrote:

    >We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    >continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    >page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    >darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.
    >
    >It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    >and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.
    >
    >I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    >fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    >some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    >worthwile.

  4. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > My wild guess is that the fuser warms up just enough to make it through the
    > power-on diagnostic test, but not warm enough to really burn the image onto a
    > page. With each successive page printed, the fuser gets warmer and warmer. I
    > suspect either the fuser or the power supply for the fuser.
    >
    > Though very old and very reliable, these printers are not worth the cost or time
    > to repair. Next thing you know, another part will wear out. I recommend
    > replacing with a reconditioned LaserJet 5 or LaserJet 4000 series model. Both
    > are pretty good on space occupied, both get lots of pages out a single toner
    > cartridge.
    >
    > The newer LaserJets (and Dell and Lexmark) are victims of the games now played
    > by all printer manufacturers. Toner cartridges have low capacity, so your
    > wallet gets sucked dry replacing cartridges regularly. The printer mfrs have
    > seen what cash cows the inkjet cartridges are, so they've done the same with
    > laser printers... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 10 Jun 2005 06:57:59 -0700, "JJ Jones" wrote:
    >

    >>We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    >>continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    >>page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    >>darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.
    >>
    >>It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    >>and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.
    >>
    >>I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    >>fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    >>some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    >>worthwile.

    I highly recommend the HP 5. They're inexpensive and a real work horse. The 5N has a
    built in JetDirect card. A duplexer and large capacity paper tray are also very useful.
    Altho, it does come std with a 250 sheet tray (half a ream)

    You could replace a number of IIP with a single 5N.

    /dan

  5. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    "JJ Jones" wrote:
    >We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    >continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    >page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    >darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.
    >
    >It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    >and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.
    >
    >I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    >fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    >some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    >worthwile.

    Most likely the charge transfer roller. They do deteriorate after a while, and
    the symptoms don't sound consistent with a High Voltage PCA or DC Controller PCA
    problem. If you do your own labor, it'd probably be worth it -- the part
    itself is <$20, IIRC.

  6. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    See Andy Hill's reply, that would be my guess too (transfer charge roller),
    fairly cheap part and still available. BTW if you change it yourself be sure to
    avoid contaminating the roller with oils from your fingers.
    Failing that the fuser or power supply are the probable culprits and they would
    be very expensive to replace (probably not worth it).
    You can be sure that the problem occuring on two printers at the same time is
    coincidence since the failure occurs with an internal printer test.
    Tony

    "JJ Jones" wrote:
    >We have a weird problem on 2 HP Laserjet IIP printers. If you run a
    >continuous print-test (Hold down Alt + Test for 5 seconds), the first
    >page comes out very faint. But each successive page gets darker and
    >darker until about the 10th page is almost perfect.
    >
    >It's strange because we've had several of these printers for many years
    >and now 2 of them are doing the same thing.
    >
    >I tested their cartridges on a good printer, and the cartridges are
    >fine, so the cartridge is not the problem.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? We're trying to get
    >some idea of the cost of repairing these things, and whether it's
    >worthwile.

  7. Re: HP LaserJet IIP - Need repair help

    Everyone: Thanks for your help!

+ Reply to Thread