HP4M manual feed tray won't shut/open properly - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP4M manual feed tray won't shut/open properly - Hewlett Packard ; I've had this printer over 10 years - bought it used from a guy who swore it had only printed about 20 prints. He's probably right. It was "as new." Never had a problem with it I couldn't fix - ...

  1. HP4M manual feed tray won't shut/open properly

    I've had this printer over 10 years - bought it used from a guy who
    swore it had only printed about 20 prints. He's probably right. It was
    "as new."

    Never had a problem with it I couldn't fix - basically just paper jams
    and similar. Never had it serviced in any way. Only used maybe 6-7 toner
    cartridges with it.

    Suddenly today, after printing off a couple hundred Manual Feed prints,
    the manual feeder got jammed. I guess maybe I was too harsh with it when
    trying to close it. It's always seemed a little weird to open and
    close, balky - probably the design.

    The first problem was that the tongue-like pull-out projection that you
    have to pull out after swinging the door down wouldn't push all the way
    back in when I tried to close it all back. It stuck out maybe 1/8 to 1/4
    inch too far to allow the door to close the last bit. I had to force it
    to get it in. When I finally got both sides of that in so the manual
    feed door would close flush, I found that I couldn't open the door back
    up. It only opens a couple of inches and I have to force it to get it
    that far. It closes OK now, but I can't open it: something seems wrong
    as if something doesn't fit in its groove anymore.

    The printer turns on and the self test doesn't show a problem. Is it
    relatively simple to get in there and check it out and figure out what's
    evidently misaligned, out of it's socket or bent? When I try to pull
    open the manual feeder door, I can see on both ends that the plastic
    nubs that fit in holes are being twisted (evidently the hinge
    mechanism). IOW, their axis angle should be perpendicular to the hole,
    but as I try to pull the door down the nubs get more and more deformed
    from the axis. That's the only clue I have at this point to what's going
    on. I assume I have to figure out a way to get in there and take that
    assembly apart and see what's amiss. Any hints, tips, clues very much
    appreciated!

    Dan

  2. Re: HP4M manual feed tray won't shut/open properly

    Fixed it! The pull-out tongue's alignment nub (not the one I discussed
    for the door itself) had jumped it's groove. I forced it back in. Could
    be it's been out of its groove ever since I bought it. Maybe that's why
    that guy sold it to me. I'm probably dreaming. Anyway, it's fixed now!

+ Reply to Thread