Some HP Pavillion 6535 Questions - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Some HP Pavillion 6535 Questions - Hewlett Packard ; I was recently given an HP Pavillion 6535. I upgraded the RAM to its maximum 256MB and have installed Debian Linux on it so it can be used as a router. It is running beautifully (much better than when it ...

  1. Some HP Pavillion 6535 Questions

    I was recently given an HP Pavillion 6535. I upgraded the RAM to its
    maximum 256MB and have installed Debian Linux on it so it can be used
    as a router. It is running beautifully (much better than when it was
    running Windows-98). However, I have some technical questions about
    this system (mostly just so I can complete my little data sheet that I
    write up for all systems I build).

    1: What is the fastest CPU that this can take? It currently has just
    its original 466MHz Celeron CPU with 128KB cache. Can it use a
    Pentium II instead of a Celeron? And if so, are there P2 CPUs that
    are faster than 466MHz and with more L2 cache?

    2: Is there any way to change the amount of system memory that the
    on-board video uses? I think it is currently using 4MB, but according
    to the info sticker on the top of the case, it can pull up to 11MB. I
    checked the options in the BIOS. But the only thing there relating to
    video is the ability to switch between PCI or AGP (and this
    motherboard has no AGP slot). I'll probably keep it at 4MB anyway,
    but I would still like to know how to change this just in case I feel
    like upping the resolution.

    3: According to a data sheet I downloaded from HP, the video can
    seemingly handle at best: 800x600 - 16 bit color or 1024x768 - 8 bit
    color. This seems awfully lean for a video adapter that can use up to
    11MB of RAM. I thought that typically, with 4MB VRAM, I should be
    able to get 800x600 - 24 or 32 bit color and 1024x768 - 16 bit color.
    Is the info from HP wrong about this, or is there some other aspect
    of the on-board video controller that causes these limitations?

    That's all the questions for now. I'm sure I will probably think of
    more later.

    --
    Scarletdown
    (Spamfoil in place. Lift MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

  2. Re: Some HP Pavillion 6535 Questions

    Scarletdown wrote:
    > I was recently given an HP Pavillion 6535. I upgraded the RAM to its
    > maximum 256MB and have installed Debian Linux on it so it can be used as
    > a router. It is running beautifully (much better than when it was
    > running Windows-98). However, I have some technical questions about
    > this system (mostly just so I can complete my little data sheet that I
    > write up for all systems I build).
    >
    > 1: What is the fastest CPU that this can take? It currently has just
    > its original 466MHz Celeron CPU with 128KB cache. Can it use a Pentium
    > II instead of a Celeron? And if so, are there P2 CPUs that are faster
    > than 466MHz and with more L2 cache?
    >
    > 2: Is there any way to change the amount of system memory that the
    > on-board video uses? I think it is currently using 4MB, but according
    > to the info sticker on the top of the case, it can pull up to 11MB. I
    > checked the options in the BIOS. But the only thing there relating to
    > video is the ability to switch between PCI or AGP (and this motherboard
    > has no AGP slot). I'll probably keep it at 4MB anyway, but I would
    > still like to know how to change this just in case I feel like upping
    > the resolution.
    >
    > 3: According to a data sheet I downloaded from HP, the video can
    > seemingly handle at best: 800x600 - 16 bit color or 1024x768 - 8 bit
    > color. This seems awfully lean for a video adapter that can use up to
    > 11MB of RAM. I thought that typically, with 4MB VRAM, I should be able
    > to get 800x600 - 24 or 32 bit color and 1024x768 - 16 bit color. Is the
    > info from HP wrong about this, or is there some other aspect of the
    > on-board video controller that causes these limitations?
    >
    > That's all the questions for now. I'm sure I will probably think of
    > more later.

    The 6535 has a motherboard with the Intel 810 chipset. This chipset was
    designed to use the Celeron and Pentium III processors at either 66 or
    100 MHz front-side bus settings. Since you have a Celeron 466 installed,
    you are now running a 66 front-side which is not helping your
    performance at all. Hopefully, when you upgraded your RAM, you went with
    100 or 133MHz RAM. This would allow you to upgrade your processor to a
    P3 running a 100MHz frontside. You will notice an immediate performance
    jump. As to the max speed P3 that you can install, that I can't answer.
    You would have to do some investigation on the HP website, E-mail HP
    support to see what speeds are supported by the motherboard and also to
    see whether there are BIOS upgrades available that have added new
    processor speeds. I found a blog on the net describing upgrades to
    computers using the same motherboard as your 6535. Here is the URL:
    http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/mother..._end_users.htm
    Note that towards the bottom of the page you can see that although HP
    has stated that 256 is mobo max RAM, users have gone to as much as 512
    with no problems and Pentium III's with markings of Costa Rica,
    1100/256/100/1.75V SL5QW. That is 1.1 GHz, 256 L2 cache, 100MHz
    frontside, 1.75V voltage. You may need to upgrade BIOS to go that high.
    It appears you have a lot of headroom for upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread