How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC? - Hewlett Packard ; I bought a Pavilion as a back up off eBay. The prior owner must have used it as an ashtray. It was amazingly gross. The hood fan had to be thrown away and I wiped tar off everything and took ...

  1. How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC?

    I bought a Pavilion as a back up off eBay. The prior owner must have
    used it as an ashtray. It was amazingly gross. The hood fan had to be
    thrown away and I wiped tar off everything and took it all apart. Used
    a vac and a blower. The dust mixed with tar for a brown goo. What a
    waste of time.

    I am trying to put it together and have it in a storage room. the case
    is off. When I walk in the room, I get an almost immediate headache
    from the tar smell which is weird. I am considering putting it in the
    dumpster.

    Anyway to clean it? I think CompUsa had a cleaner. Any suggestions.

    Tip: If you buy anything off eBay - ask the seller if he is a smoker
    before bidding.

  2. Re: How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC?

    You probably want to replace the power supply too. It probably has tar and goo
    inside, and power supplies are devilishly hard to clean. There are commercial
    cleaners for circuit boards. I'd advise using one. For the non-circuit boards,
    start with a mild solvent like isopropyl alcohol... Ben Myers

    On 18 May 2005 13:19:23 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >I bought a Pavilion as a back up off eBay. The prior owner must have
    >used it as an ashtray. It was amazingly gross. The hood fan had to be
    >thrown away and I wiped tar off everything and took it all apart. Used
    >a vac and a blower. The dust mixed with tar for a brown goo. What a
    >waste of time.
    >
    >I am trying to put it together and have it in a storage room. the case
    >is off. When I walk in the room, I get an almost immediate headache
    >from the tar smell which is weird. I am considering putting it in the
    >dumpster.
    >
    >Anyway to clean it? I think CompUsa had a cleaner. Any suggestions.
    >
    >Tip: If you buy anything off eBay - ask the seller if he is a smoker
    >before bidding.

  3. Re: How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC?

    Hi,

    George wrote:
    #Anyway to clean it? I think CompUsa had a cleaner. Any suggestions.

    There are various spray liquid electronics cleaners that can safely
    flush circuit boards. They all have one thing in common, in the
    post-floro-chloro world, they are all expensive, like $5 to $8 for a
    tiny can.

    #Tip: If you buy anything off eBay - ask the seller if he is a smoker
    #before bidding.

    Thanks, good idea.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

  4. Re: How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC?

    I have a friend of mine who is a heavy smoker, and all of his
    equipment is like that. You could try really hot water and dishwashing
    soap, being easy on the scrubbing action for the electronics. Dry
    electronics with compressed air.

    If it is a slower system, take the chance to upgrade to a better
    board/chip combo.

    Ditching the power supply would be HIGHLY recommended, as they can be
    a bitch to clean. That and they are cheap to replace.

    NeonHomer
    CompUSalv Ltd.

    On 18 May 2005 13:19:23 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >I bought a Pavilion as a back up off eBay. The prior owner must have
    >used it as an ashtray. It was amazingly gross. The hood fan had to be
    >thrown away and I wiped tar off everything and took it all apart. Used
    >a vac and a blower. The dust mixed with tar for a brown goo. What a
    >waste of time.
    >
    >I am trying to put it together and have it in a storage room. the case
    >is off. When I walk in the room, I get an almost immediate headache
    >from the tar smell which is weird. I am considering putting it in the
    >dumpster.
    >
    >Anyway to clean it? I think CompUsa had a cleaner. Any suggestions.
    >
    >Tip: If you buy anything off eBay - ask the seller if he is a smoker
    >before bidding.

  5. Re: How do you de-Tar an ex-smoker PC?

    What? Water has a corrosive effect on electronics. Better to pull all the
    boards, clean the chassis with a cleaning solution (start with isopropyl
    alcohol, which is very mild), get a can of the commercial solution used to clean
    circuit boards. I agree that the power supply should simply be replaced.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:48:08 GMT, NeonHomer wrote:

    >I have a friend of mine who is a heavy smoker, and all of his
    >equipment is like that. You could try really hot water and dishwashing
    >soap, being easy on the scrubbing action for the electronics. Dry
    >electronics with compressed air.
    >
    >If it is a slower system, take the chance to upgrade to a better
    >board/chip combo.
    >
    >Ditching the power supply would be HIGHLY recommended, as they can be
    >a bitch to clean. That and they are cheap to replace.
    >
    >NeonHomer
    >CompUSalv Ltd.
    >

    >On 18 May 2005 13:19:23 -0700, "George" wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a Pavilion as a back up off eBay. The prior owner must have
    >>used it as an ashtray. It was amazingly gross. The hood fan had to be
    >>thrown away and I wiped tar off everything and took it all apart. Used
    >>a vac and a blower. The dust mixed with tar for a brown goo. What a
    >>waste of time.
    >>
    >>I am trying to put it together and have it in a storage room. the case
    >>is off. When I walk in the room, I get an almost immediate headache
    >>from the tar smell which is weird. I am considering putting it in the
    >>dumpster.
    >>
    >>Anyway to clean it? I think CompUsa had a cleaner. Any suggestions.
    >>
    >>Tip: If you buy anything off eBay - ask the seller if he is a smoker
    >>before bidding.

+ Reply to Thread