HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine - Hewlett Packard ; I have a old Pavilion 8570 c which runs special software. I need a back up of this machine. I thought I could just buy another HP Pavilion Pentium 3 based machine and ghost the drive and have a back ...

  1. HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    I have a old Pavilion 8570 c which runs special software. I need a
    back up of this machine. I thought I could just buy another HP
    Pavilion Pentium 3 based machine and ghost the drive and have a back
    up. The 8570 C uses a 4560 Mhz P3 and HP's site says it uses an Asus
    P2B-VE.

    The software I have has special hardware settings and I cannot get the
    programmers to go down that road. HP's site says
    6460,8400,8500,7200,7300 series Pavilion's use the same motherboards.

    Any ideas on cloning. I was hoping to move to a faster and newer P3
    pavilion off of eBay like a 1 Ghz machine. Any ideas on moving to a
    new computer using virtual machine software to emulate all my settings
    from the 8570 C?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Even if you can clone the drive successfully, you need to ensure that the same
    model of motherboard, graphics subsystem, and network adapter are in the second
    system if the computer is running Windows. Otherwise, you would be faced with
    mucking about with Windows drivers, a thankless task.

    Why not use Symantec's Ghost to clone the drive?

    If your system is running special hardware, I would not bet that virtual machine
    software like VMWare can handle it.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 9 May 2005 07:39:38 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >I have a old Pavilion 8570 c which runs special software. I need a
    >back up of this machine. I thought I could just buy another HP
    >Pavilion Pentium 3 based machine and ghost the drive and have a back
    >up. The 8570 C uses a 4560 Mhz P3 and HP's site says it uses an Asus
    >P2B-VE.
    >
    >The software I have has special hardware settings and I cannot get the
    >programmers to go down that road. HP's site says
    >6460,8400,8500,7200,7300 series Pavilion's use the same motherboards.
    >
    >Any ideas on cloning. I was hoping to move to a faster and newer P3
    >pavilion off of eBay like a 1 Ghz machine. Any ideas on moving to a
    >new computer using virtual machine software to emulate all my settings
    >from the 8570 C?
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    I did use Ghost. The drive has been Ghosted. The hardware settings
    and drivers could be the problem. I am pretty sure I can go to another
    8570 C. HP's web site says
    6460,6466,6470z,8400,8480z,8490,8496,8500,8570c,85 76c asll used the
    same ASUS board with a Intel 440 ZX chip set.

    I was just wondering if a Ghosted drive should work on other HP
    Pavilion P3 machines or a if Virtual machine might work on a new
    machine. There is no special hardware just the settings have to be the
    same. Probably the Windows drivers you mention. Thanks for any help.

  4. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    The Ghosted drive should work flawlessly on any HP machine with the identical
    model of motherboard. Differences in chipsets would prevent flawless operation
    on HP boxes with different models of motherboard... Ben Myers

    On 9 May 2005 13:30:20 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >I did use Ghost. The drive has been Ghosted. The hardware settings
    >and drivers could be the problem. I am pretty sure I can go to another
    >8570 C. HP's web site says
    >6460,6466,6470z,8400,8480z,8490,8496,8500,8570c,85 76c asll used the
    >same ASUS board with a Intel 440 ZX chip set.
    >
    >I was just wondering if a Ghosted drive should work on other HP
    >Pavilion P3 machines or a if Virtual machine might work on a new
    >machine. There is no special hardware just the settings have to be the
    >same. Probably the Windows drivers you mention. Thanks for any help.

  5. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Thanks. I pretty much had the same idea that I had to stick to the
    same MB.

    I have the thing maxed out at 256 MB of RAM. It runs a daily process
    and sometimes it fails and has to be re-reun. I wish I had a moderm
    2.8 gig machine.

    What would be the fatest current IDE or EIDE hard drive that would
    allow me to essentially ghost and plug in. 10,000 RPM IDE? I am
    running a 1995 or more recent era hard drive. I have it backed up on a
    few ghost drives.

    I wish I could find a virtual machine to ghost the setting and hard
    drive to run on a modern PC.

  6. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Another option would be to get a large capacity compact flash card and an IDE
    adapter to read/write it. Ghost the hard drive image onto the compact flash
    card, which operates much faster than any hard disk currently available.
    Compact flash cards are available in up to 2GB capacity.

    Failure of the process could also be due to software constraints, especially if
    the computer is running Windows 95, 98, or ME. All of these versions of Windows
    have relatively poor memory management.

    Despite what the HP web site states, you can upgrade the processor to 600MHz,
    with a Slot 1 CPU running at 2.05v and with 100MHz FSB. Also, I suspect that
    512MB memory would be OK, as long as DIMMs with low density chips are installed.
    Either of these upgrades may ease the pain. Finally, a PowerLeap adapter
    running a 1.4GHz CPU may work. Check the PowerLeap web site for more info.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 9 May 2005 19:03:46 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >Thanks. I pretty much had the same idea that I had to stick to the
    >same MB.
    >
    >I have the thing maxed out at 256 MB of RAM. It runs a daily process
    >and sometimes it fails and has to be re-reun. I wish I had a moderm
    >2.8 gig machine.
    >
    >What would be the fatest current IDE or EIDE hard drive that would
    >allow me to essentially ghost and plug in. 10,000 RPM IDE? I am
    >running a 1995 or more recent era hard drive. I have it backed up on a
    >few ghost drives.
    >
    >I wish I could find a virtual machine to ghost the setting and hard
    >drive to run on a modern PC.

  7. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Thanks Ben. Some great and neat ideas.

  8. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    BTW - I am running Windows NT Server.

  9. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Another options is trying to Ghost and install a SCSI drive. If I
    could get a 2940 Adaptec UW SCSI then the thing would be 3 or 4 times
    faster.

  10. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Yes, SCSI generally outperforms IDE. An Adaptec 29160 with an Ultra 160 drive
    would be about the quickest this side of flash... Ben Myers

    On 10 May 2005 17:15:29 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >Another options is trying to Ghost and install a SCSI drive. If I
    >could get a 2940 Adaptec UW SCSI then the thing would be 3 or 4 times
    >faster.

  11. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    Thanks. I was thinking of a cheap SCSI drive array or external. One
    guy said it has to be an internal drive. I talked to some guys and they
    said ghosting from the IDE to a SCSI drive would be a little work but
    possible.

    My guess is I would be at least 3 x faster. Thanks for your help.

  12. Re: HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

    I would add memory to the system, to the 512MB max, before doing anything else.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 10 May 2005 18:24:53 -0700, "George" wrote:

    >Thanks. I was thinking of a cheap SCSI drive array or external. One
    >guy said it has to be an internal drive. I talked to some guys and they
    >said ghosting from the IDE to a SCSI drive would be a little work but
    >possible.
    >
    >My guess is I would be at least 3 x faster. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread