Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750 - Hewlett Packard ; I have the latest drivers for my PSC 750. When I try to install it, I get the message: The system cannot open the device or file specified Internal Error 2755. 110, c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver... ...\hp psc 700 series \Setup\setup.msi The directory ...

  1. Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

    I have the latest drivers for my PSC 750. When I try to install
    it, I get the message:

    The system cannot open the device or file specified
    Internal Error 2755. 110,
    c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver...
    ...\hp psc 700 series \Setup\setup.msi

    The directory c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver above is where I
    specified the files to be copied in the setup procedure. The files are indeed
    copied there, but the error message occurs during the actual install. I
    searched the web for similar errors. The site
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...324906&sd=tech says to
    ensure that account SYSTEM had Full Control to the root directory of the hard
    drive. Directories "c:\Program Files", "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard" and
    subfolders under the latter inheritted these widened permissions. This does
    not solve the problem. I saw other places on the web that suggest giving
    Full Control to the EVERYONE account. This sounds kind of drastic. Is this
    a good idea? I usually do not operate using the administrator account
    specifically because I rely on restricted permissions for safety.

    Thanks for any comments.

    Fred

  2. Re: Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

    PS: Posted to:
    microsoft.public.win2000.security
    alt.os.windows2000, comp.sys.hp.hardware, comp.sys.hp.misc

[...]

  3. Re: Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

    Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
    the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
    path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
    difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
    which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
    department? ... Ben Myers

    On 24 Mar 2005 01:28:41 GMT, Fred Ma wrote:

    >I have the latest drivers for my PSC 750. When I try to install
    >it, I get the message:
    >
    > The system cannot open the device or file specified
    > Internal Error 2755. 110,
    > c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver...
    > ...\hp psc 700 series \Setup\setup.msi
    >
    >The directory c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver above is where I
    >specified the files to be copied in the setup procedure. The files are indeed
    >copied there, but the error message occurs during the actual install. I
    >searched the web for similar errors. The site
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default...324906&sd=tech says to
    >ensure that account SYSTEM had Full Control to the root directory of the hard
    >drive. Directories "c:\Program Files", "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard" and
    >subfolders under the latter inheritted these widened permissions. This does
    >not solve the problem. I saw other places on the web that suggest giving
    >Full Control to the EVERYONE account. This sounds kind of drastic. Is this
    >a good idea? I usually do not operate using the administrator account
    >specifically because I rely on restricted permissions for safety.
    >
    >Thanks for any comments.
    >
    >Fred

  4. Re: Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
    > the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
    > path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
    > difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
    > which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
    > department? ... Ben Myers

    I believe that /is/ the default path. It results from downloading the install
    program into c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver. The install
    program has no problem unpacking and writing the files into subdirectory "hp
    psc 700 series". Where it seems to have trouble is copying those files into
    "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard".

    Fred

    > On 24 Mar 2005 01:28:41 GMT, Fred Ma wrote:
    >

    >>I have the latest drivers for my PSC 750. When I try to install
    >>it, I get the message:
    >>
    >> The system cannot open the device or file specified
    >> Internal Error 2755. 110,
    >> c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver...
    >> ...\hp psc 700 series \Setup\setup.msi
    >>
    >>The directory c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver above is where I
    >>specified the files to be copied in the setup procedure. The files are indeed
    >>copied there, but the error message occurs during the actual install. I
    >>searched the web for similar errors. The site
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...324906&sd=tech says to
    >>ensure that account SYSTEM had Full Control to the root directory of the hard
    >>drive. Directories "c:\Program Files", and
    >>subfolders under the latter inheritted these widened permissions. This does
    >>not solve the problem. I saw other places on the web that suggest giving
    >>Full Control to the EVERYONE account. This sounds kind of drastic. Is this
    >>a good idea? I usually do not operate using the administrator account
    >>specifically because I rely on restricted permissions for safety.

  5. Re: Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

    Fred Ma wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    > > Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
    > > the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
    > > path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
    > > difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
    > > which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
    > > department? ... Ben Myers

    > I believe that /is/ the default path. It results from downloading the install
    > program into c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver. The install
    > program has no problem unpacking and writing the files into subdirectory "hp
    > psc 700 series". Where it seems to have trouble is copying those files into
    > "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard".

    Well, Ben, you were right. Thanks for pointing out that snafu factor.
    It looks like the permissions for NTFS is not as simple as the permissions
    shown under cygwin's "ls -l". Now that it installs, I'm onto the next
    problems in getting them to work (but that's another story).

    Fred

+ Reply to Thread