USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197 - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all: In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can all ...

  1. USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    Hi all:

    In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
    three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
    Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
    all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
    recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
    will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
    harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
    thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
    minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
    than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.

    I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
    have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.

    All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
    on the IBM laptop.

    Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?

    Thanks.

    Zhixin

  2. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    It sounds like the "external 2.5 harddisk with USB" only supports
    USB 1.x to me. I have some flash drives that only work at USB 1.1
    speeds. They have to state USB2, or the device won't operate at
    480Mbps.

    Just for reference, my USB2 external HD transfers just under 1GB per
    minute.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    Date: 17 Mar 2005 17:41:27 -0800

    Hi all:

[...]

  3. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
    > three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
    > Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
    > all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
    > recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
    > will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
    > harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
    > thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
    > minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
    > than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
    > have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.
    >
    > All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
    > on the IBM laptop.
    >
    > Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Zhixin

    I'd suggest checking the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section in the
    Device Manager. You should see at least one Enhanced Host Controller
    entry properly configured if you expect to get high-speed operation at
    the interface.

    -Dave

  4. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    David Kinsell wrote:
    > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all:
    > >
    > > In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
    > > three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
    > > Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
    > > all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
    > > recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
    > > will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
    > > harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
    > > thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
    > > minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
    > > than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.
    > >
    > > I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
    > > have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.
    > >
    > > All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
    > > on the IBM laptop.
    > >
    > > Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > Zhixin
    > >

    > I'd suggest checking the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section in the
    > Device Manager. You should see at least one Enhanced Host Controller
    > entry properly configured if you expect to get high-speed operation at
    > the interface.

    Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it should
    (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a "USB 2.0 Root
    Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is listed in the
    *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device tree which
    does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what happened on my
    (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface and a
    plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using the 1.1
    tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0 interface,
    and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working at 1.1 speed. I had
    to force-remove the wrong devices and force-install the drivers which
    came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.

    I hope this helps.

  5. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT

    Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it should
    (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a "USB 2.0
    Root Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is listed in
    the *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device tree
    which does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what happened on my
    (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface and a
    plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using the 1.1
    tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0
    interface, and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working at 1.1
    speed. I had to force-remove the wrong devices and force-install the
    drivers which came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.

    I hope this helps.

    Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion 8655c under 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

  6. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    BillW50 wrote:

    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message news:423a9ea3$0$79962$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT
    >
    > Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it should
    > (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a "USB 2.0
    > Root Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is listed in
    > the *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device tree
    > which does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what happened on my
    > (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface and a
    > plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using the 1.1
    > tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0
    > interface, and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working at 1.1
    > speed. I had to force-remove the wrong devices and force-install the
    > drivers which came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?

    Yes. I should have said so. Sorry about that.

  7. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards, after I
    plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards, Windows
    would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
    frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has a
    VIA chipset, I later noticed.

    I will try to check whether my external HD & DVD-RW are installed to
    the right USB 2.0 tree.

    Thanks everybody for your help.

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > BillW50 wrote:
    > >
    > > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

    > > Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT
    > >
    > > Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it

    should
    > > (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a

    "USB 2.0
    > > Root Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is

    listed in
    > > the *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device

    tree
    > > which does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what

    happened on my
    > > (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface

    and a
    > > plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using

    the 1.1
    > > tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0
    > > interface, and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working

    at 1.1
    > > speed. I had to force-remove the wrong devices and

    force-install the
    > > drivers which came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.
    > >
    > > I hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?

    > Yes. I should have said so. Sorry about that.

  8. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards, after I
    > plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards, Windows
    > would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
    > frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has a
    > VIA chipset, I later noticed.

    I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
    (Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
    instead of the drivers which came with the card. After force-installing
    (XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD, even when pointed to
    it) the drivers which came with the card, this freeze problem was gone.
    So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver Details...) *which* drivers are
    installed for the devices listed in the 2.0 device tree. If it says
    "Provider: Microsoft ...", then you probably have the wrong drivers.

  9. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    Hi,

    I have installed the driver from VIA for my ZoneNet card and it is
    still the same thing. Right-clicked on "VIA USB2.0 Enhanced Host
    Controller" in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree in Device
    Manager, and then Properties->Driver->Driver Details, I didn't see a
    tree but a list of files such as:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\vulfnth.sys (Provider: VIA Technologies,
    INc)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

    Only the file vulfnth.sys is from VIA, others are from Microsoft.

    So I didn't find a USB 2.0 tree. I am wondering how I can get the tree.

    Thanks for your help.

    Zhixin

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards,

    after I
    > > plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards,

    Windows
    > > would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
    > > frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has

    > > VIA chipset, I later noticed.

    > I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
    > (Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
    > instead of the drivers which came with the card. After

    force-installing
    > (XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD, even when pointed

    > it) the drivers which came with the card, this freeze problem was

    gone.
    > So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver Details...) *which* drivers

    are
    > installed for the devices listed in the 2.0 device tree. If it says
    > "Provider: Microsoft ...", then you probably have the wrong drivers.

  10. Re: USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

    [Re-arranged. Please bottom/interleaved post.]

    zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards,
    > > > after I plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the
    > > > cards, Windows would sometimes recognize the HD for a short
    > > > moment, and then went frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets
    > > > and the ZoneNet card has a VIA chipset, I later noticed.

    > > I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
    > > (Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
    > > instead of the drivers which came with the card. After
    > > force-installing (XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD,
    > > even when pointed to it) the drivers which came with the card, this
    > > freeze problem was gone. So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver
    > > Details...) *which* drivers are installed for the devices listed in
    > > the 2.0 device tree. If it says "Provider: Microsoft ...", then you
    > > probably have the wrong drivers.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed the driver from VIA for my ZoneNet card and it is
    > still the same thing. Right-clicked on "VIA USB2.0 Enhanced Host
    > Controller" in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree in Device
    > Manager, and then Properties->Driver->Driver Details, I didn't see a
    > tree but a list of files such as:

    With "tree", I mean the *device* tree, not a *drivers* tree.

    For example my USB 2.0 looks like this in the Device Manager, after I
    open the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" tree by clicking on the "+"
    icon in front of it:

    - \ -> Universal Serial Bus controllers

    | -> USB 2.0 Host Controller
    |
    | -> USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

    For *each* of these (in my case two) devices, you can do Properties ->
    Driver -> Driver Details. In my case *all* drivers/files listed are not
    by Microsoft (but by OWC, OrangeWare Coporation).

    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\vulfnth.sys (Provider: VIA Technologies,
    > INc)
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll
    >
    > Only the file vulfnth.sys is from VIA, others are from Microsoft.
    >
    > So I didn't find a USB 2.0 tree. I am wondering how I can get the tree.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Zhixin

    I had exactly these driver/file names (except of course for
    vulfnth.sys) when I still had the wrong drivers! So I again advise you
    to *force-install* the drivers which came with the card.

    Force-install can be difficult, because often XP thinks it knows
    better and still installs the Microsoft stuff. What worked for me is
    this procedure (note that the *names* of the devices/drivers/files/
    directories may/will be different for you):

    [Start quote:]
    Following procedure worked to install the "USB 2.0 Host Controller"
    and "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" devices with the OWC drivers:
    Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> "NEC PCI to USB
    Enhanced Host Controller (B1)" -> Driver -> Update Driver... -> Welcome
    to the Hardware Update Wizard -> * Install from a list or specific
    location (Advanced) -> Next -> * Don't search. I will choose the driver
    to install. -> Next -> in the "Model" list, the following are displayed:
    NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Open Host Controller (B1)
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB 2.0 Host Controller
    select "USB 2.0 Host Controller" and Have Disk... and set "Copy
    manufacturer's file from:" to the C:\Sitecom\Drivers\USB 2.0 directory.
    -> Next
    This will install the "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device (with OWC
    drivers/software cbuninst.exe, ousb2hub.sys and ousbehci.sys). After
    that, the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard" (note "New") will
    be started, saying "The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0
    Root Hub Device" -> * Install from a list or specific location
    (Advanced) -> Next -> * Don't search. I will choose the driver to
    install. -> Next -> in the "Model" list, the following is displayed:
    USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
    select "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" and Have Disk... and set "Copy
    manufacturer's file from:" to the C:\Sitecom\Drivers\USB 2.0 directory
    -> Next
    This will install the "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" device (with OWC
    driver ousb2hub.sys).
    [End quote.]

    The key items are selecting "Don't search. I will choose the driver to
    install.", choosing the right device names from the "Model" list and
    directing XP to the directory which contains the desired drivers. If you
    fail any of these, XP will know 'better' and install the Microsoft
    stuff.

    I hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread