a330n recovery - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on a330n recovery - Hewlett Packard ; My a330n came with WXP Home. The DVD writer could read but not write. I deleted the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro. The writer still could not write, and HP tech supp said I'd have to reinstall XP ...

  1. a330n recovery

    My a330n came with WXP Home. The DVD writer could read but not write. I
    deleted the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro. The writer still could
    not write, and HP tech supp said I'd have to reinstall XP Home to use PC
    Doctor so we could continue troubleshooting.

    Somehow, the Recovery partition became C:, and XP Pro was on D:, so I
    couldn't run the Recovery Setup to restore the unit as it was originally.

    I've copied all the files from the Recovery drive to another computer,
    removed all the partitions and repartitioned as before (size-wise), and now
    XP Pro is on the C: drive. I copied the Recovery structure from the other
    computer to the D: drive, but when I try to run the Recovery Setup when
    restarting, the computer ignores the F10 keypress, and boots to XP Pro.

    Anyone know if there's a way I can make F10 recovery work again, and/or
    restore the computer the way it was originally?

    Thanks.

    Tim

  2. Re: a330n recovery

    The first mistake that you made was deleting the partition with XP
    Home on it. Contained within the Windows folder was another folder
    called SMINST that is the key to being able to use the Recovery
    partition. What you should have done was chosen the 'upgrade' path of
    installing XP Pro.
    The best thing that you can do is to order a set of recovery disks
    from HP and start again from scratch.

    Mike

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:15:27 -0400, "Tim Green"
    wrote:

    >My a330n came with WXP Home. The DVD writer could read but not write. I
    >deleted the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro. The writer still could
    >not write, and HP tech supp said I'd have to reinstall XP Home to use PC
    >Doctor so we could continue troubleshooting.
    >
    >Somehow, the Recovery partition became C:, and XP Pro was on D:, so I
    >couldn't run the Recovery Setup to restore the unit as it was originally.
    >
    >I've copied all the files from the Recovery drive to another computer,
    >removed all the partitions and repartitioned as before (size-wise), and now
    >XP Pro is on the C: drive. I copied the Recovery structure from the other
    >computer to the D: drive, but when I try to run the Recovery Setup when
    >restarting, the computer ignores the F10 keypress, and boots to XP Pro.
    >
    >Anyone know if there's a way I can make F10 recovery work again, and/or
    >restore the computer the way it was originally?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Tim

  3. Re: a330n recovery

    Thanks Mike. That takes the mystery out of it. Recovery disks are on the
    way.

    Tim

    "Mike" wrote in message
    > The first mistake that you made was deleting the partition with XP
    > Home on it. Contained within the Windows folder was another folder
    > called SMINST that is the key to being able to use the Recovery
    > partition. What you should have done was chosen the 'upgrade' path of
    > installing XP Pro.
    > The best thing that you can do is to order a set of recovery disks
    > from HP and start again from scratch.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:15:27 -0400, "Tim Green"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My a330n came with WXP Home. The DVD writer could read but not write. I
    > >deleted the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro. The writer still

    could
    > >not write, and HP tech supp said I'd have to reinstall XP Home to use PC
    > >Doctor so we could continue troubleshooting.
    > >
    > >Somehow, the Recovery partition became C:, and XP Pro was on D:, so I
    > >couldn't run the Recovery Setup to restore the unit as it was originally.
    > >
    > >I've copied all the files from the Recovery drive to another computer,
    > >removed all the partitions and repartitioned as before (size-wise), and

    now
    > >XP Pro is on the C: drive. I copied the Recovery structure from the other
    > >computer to the D: drive, but when I try to run the Recovery Setup when
    > >restarting, the computer ignores the F10 keypress, and boots to XP Pro.
    > >
    > >Anyone know if there's a way I can make F10 recovery work again, and/or
    > >restore the computer the way it was originally?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Tim

  4. Re: a330n recovery

    No probs Tim, you are very welcome.
    I learnt that from doing exactly the same thing... not my brightest
    moment when I realised what I had done.
    HP should have NEVER stopped shipping recovery disks with their PC's
    for exactly this reason.

    Mike

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:20:50 -0400, "Tim Green"
    wrote:

    >Thanks Mike. That takes the mystery out of it. Recovery disks are on the
    >way.
    >
    >Tim
    >

    >"Mike" wrote in message
    >> The first mistake that you made was deleting the partition with XP
    >> Home on it. Contained within the Windows folder was another folder
    >> called SMINST that is the key to being able to use the Recovery
    >> partition. What you should have done was chosen the 'upgrade' path of
    >> installing XP Pro.
    >> The best thing that you can do is to order a set of recovery disks
    >> from HP and start again from scratch.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:15:27 -0400, "Tim Green"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My a330n came with WXP Home. The DVD writer could read but not write. I
    >> >deleted the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro. The writer still

    >could
    >> >not write, and HP tech supp said I'd have to reinstall XP Home to use PC
    >> >Doctor so we could continue troubleshooting.
    >> >
    >> >Somehow, the Recovery partition became C:, and XP Pro was on D:, so I
    >> >couldn't run the Recovery Setup to restore the unit as it was originally.
    >> >
    >> >I've copied all the files from the Recovery drive to another computer,
    >> >removed all the partitions and repartitioned as before (size-wise), and

    >now
    >> >XP Pro is on the C: drive. I copied the Recovery structure from the other
    >> >computer to the D: drive, but when I try to run the Recovery Setup when
    >> >restarting, the computer ignores the F10 keypress, and boots to XP Pro.
    >> >
    >> >Anyone know if there's a way I can make F10 recovery work again, and/or
    >> >restore the computer the way it was originally?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >
    >> >Tim

+ Reply to Thread