Replacement fan for HP ZE5000? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Replacement fan for HP ZE5000? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, One of the two fans connected to my heat sink (the smaller one) no longer works reliably. I took it out, blasted it with compressed air, and put it back in, but it's still barely moves when activated. ...

  1. Replacement fan for HP ZE5000?

    Hi all,

    One of the two fans connected to my heat sink (the smaller one) no
    longer works reliably. I took it out, blasted it with compressed air,
    and put it back in, but it's still barely moves when activated.

    Anyway, I don't mind giving up on it and buying a new one, but the
    only option that HP offers is to replace the entire heat sink assembly
    for $43 plus S&H. Is there some other place where I can just buy the
    offending fan? Here's all the information for the fan:

    CF0540-B08H-C006
    DC 5V 0.4A
    Taiwan
    S9138
    Sam Lam Tech Co., Ltd.

    I tried in vain to buy the fan on Sam Lam Tech's site; they only sell
    to distributors.

    I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

    Thanks in advance,

    John

  2. Re: Replacement fan for HP ZE5000?

    John, I had the same problem as you did.
    But, I took it apart. It wasn't too hard.
    Here the steps:

    There was the filter coughed right at the fan opening.
    I took the filter material out because it jam the fan & make noise.

    You need to pull the pastic fan out and clean from
    the tanglement. There a washer style lock at top of the fan. Took the
    locking washier out the fan will come out easy. Then I applied some
    auto-grease on the fan bearing. (I got a small amount from Walmart)
    And it work just like new.
    Hope this help
    - Anthony

+ Reply to Thread