Need help on a 8275 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Need help on a 8275 - Hewlett Packard ; I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some reason when i move things from the CD-rom it starts ...

  1. Need help on a 8275

    I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It
    installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some reason
    when i move things from the CD-rom it starts working ok then the HD stays
    on an flickers some but it stalls or looks like it is trying to catch up.

    Thanks Larry

  2. Re: Need help on a 8275

    "Larry" wrote in message
    >I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It
    > installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some
    > reason
    > when i move things from the CD-rom it starts working ok then the HD
    > stays
    > on an flickers some but it stalls or looks like it is trying to catch up.
    >
    > Thanks Larry

    Quick thought. The drive select jumper may be set to 'Cable Select'
    and for a system that old it has to be set to 'Master'?

    Regards,
    John

  3. Re: Need help on a 8275

    With an old Pentium II system, you may well be running into the 32MB BIOS disk
    capacity barrier, prevalent at the time. But the fact that the BIOS identifies
    the drive as 40GB is a little odd.

    You might be better off finding an inexpensive Pentium 3 board from an HP system
    and replacing the motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:52:48 GMT, Larry wrote:

    >I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It
    >installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some reason
    >when i move things from the CD-rom it starts working ok then the HD stays
    >on an flickers some but it stalls or looks like it is trying to catch up.
    >
    >Thanks Larry

  4. Re: Need help on a 8275

    Larry wrote in

    > I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It
    > installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some
    > reason when i move things from the CD-rom it starts working ok then
    > the HD stays on an flickers some but it stalls or looks like it is
    > trying to catch up.
    >
    > Thanks Larry

    I removed the jumper to make it master . I thought it had worked , but
    chocked on a 80mb zip file (89%complete). As far as hp BIOS goes only HP
    knows. I am now reformating to see . Werid the HP worked great until the
    8gb died. Thanks for the help!

    Larry

  5. Re: Need help on a 8275

    Larry wrote in news:6GnKh.151905$5j1.47003
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Larry wrote in
    >
    >> I replaced the old 8GB drive with a WD400JB ATA100 OEM drive . It
    >> installed and was IDed in the Bios an shows as a 40GB , But for some
    >> reason when i move things from the CD-rom it starts working ok then
    >> the HD stays on an flickers some but it stalls or looks like it is
    >> trying to catch up.
    >>
    >> Thanks Larry
    >>

    > I removed the jumper to make it master . I thought it had worked , but
    > chocked on a 80mb zip file (89%complete). As far as hp BIOS goes only

    HP
    > knows. I am now reformating to see . Werid the HP worked great until

    the
    > 8gb died. Thanks for the help!
    >
    > Larry

    part2
    Well i reformated and reinstalled the 95b . No problem with the cd-rom or
    Harddrive . Goning to install 98se next, very werid.

    Larry

+ Reply to Thread