I've been given a "working" monitor as above, but it's had the VGA
connector cut off (it was stolen / recovered, but the insurance company
had already paid out for new kit - so the "old" ones had the connectors
cut off prior to returning them to the policyholder for disposal).

I haven't had any luck finding the pinouts for this model on the net -
can anyone advise ? (it has an IDE-style connector at the monitor end,
it's not a standard VGA to VGA / DVI to VGA)

Until recently you were able to get this cable direct from HP, but they
appear to have dropped this line now (the company gave away the rest a
couple of months ago and had no problems getting them at the time).