HP officejet K80 scanner failure ........................ - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP officejet K80 scanner failure ........................ - Hewlett Packard ; My K80 All-In-One has quit copying and reports error message "scan failure" on its display. The printer is perhaps 5 years old. Is the scanner lamp likely to have burned out? What else can I look for? Regards, Ted S...

  1. HP officejet K80 scanner failure ........................

    My K80 All-In-One has quit copying and reports error message "scan
    failure" on its display. The printer is perhaps 5 years old.

    Is the scanner lamp likely to have burned out? What else can I look for?

    Regards, Ted S

  2. Re: HP officejet K80 scanner failure ........................

    It's NOT the light. The printer loads the source page for a copy and
    the light does turn on. Also, I see a message saying it's warming up.

    That's where it stops. Any suggestions?

    Ted

    Ted033 wrote:
    > My K80 All-In-One has quit copying and reports error message "scan
    > failure" on its display. The printer is perhaps 5 years old.
    >
    > Is the scanner lamp likely to have burned out? What else can I look for?
    >
    > Regards, Ted S

  3. Re: HP officejet K80 scanner failure .....................

    Don't know the actual scanner, the scanner lamp is a CCFL, Cold
    cathode Flouresecent Lamp, a bit like the flouresecent tubes you see
    in shops but without the filiment heaters at the ends.... these CCFLs
    work at about 1.4KV, to drive these they use a inverter that steps the
    voltage up, it's the voltage that ionises the gas in the tube there's
    no filiment to burn out.

    When these fail the 'white light' from them starts to discolour and
    glowing with a pinkish tint and or usually develops a flicker, when
    the inverter goes it could develop such symptoms or go altogether
    without any symptoms.

    On some scanner's you can see the light during the scan between the
    lid. I would suspect the lamps or inverter after a few years of
    use, but 'Scan Failure' could almost relate to any other component.

    Davy

+ Reply to Thread