HP 2200DN PDF printing problems - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP 2200DN PDF printing problems - Hewlett Packard ; Hi All, Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, ...

  1. HP 2200DN PDF printing problems

    Hi All,
    Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've
    been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP
    machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, however,
    it doesn't like printing PDFs. It'll print plain text fine, but PDFs
    seem to fox it - either it'll sit there for 30 minutes or so then spit
    out a few pages, or it'll do nothing.
    No software changes to the computers have been made - is it possible
    the memory's duff?
    I've logged in to its webserver but can't find any detailed info about
    the printer RAM in there - and on the info page printed when you hold
    down the main button on power up it doesn't give info either.

    Can anyone suggest how I can get this working again?

    Ric

  2. Re: HP 2200DN PDF printing problems

    ric wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've
    > been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP
    > machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, however,
    > it doesn't like printing PDFs.

    What are you using to print PDFs? (Acrobat Reader? Copying the PDF
    file direct to the printer?)

    Are you using a PCL or PostScript driver? At what resolution?

    > It'll print plain text fine, but PDFs seem to fox it - either it'll
    > sit there for 30 minutes or so then spit out a few pages, or it'll do
    > nothing.

    What's on the pages printed?

    > No software changes to the computers have been made -

    Acrobat Reader defaults to automatic background updates, and there are
    other background things like Windows updates that can cause breakage.

    > is it possible the memory's duff?

    Unlikely if other types of files print okay. Try printing a multiple
    megabyte bitmap.

    > I've logged in to its webserver but can't find any detailed info about
    > the printer RAM in there - and on the info page printed when you hold
    > down the main button on power up it doesn't give info either.

    Press Go and Job Cancel at the same time. It should be on that page.

  3. Re: HP 2200DN PDF printing problems

    There is a well-known issue with printing PDFs properly on an HP PCL printer.
    The workaround from Adobe's web site is to check the checkbox that tells Acrobat
    (or Acrobat Reader) to rasterize the print image and send the raster image to
    the printer, rather than PCL commands and data. This works because under
    normal circumstances Windows (and probably OS X?) and the PCL driver together
    are woefully inefficient in converting the PDF to a PCL data stream. The
    consequence usually is that the printer's memory fills up with lots of PCL
    commands and data and it does not have room for the entire print image, so the
    printer kicks out a partially rasterized page.

    Other solutions:

    1. If the printer does not support PostScript right now, get a PostScript SIMM
    to install.
    2. Increase the amount of printer memory to the maximum.
    3. Reduce the printer resolution to 300 dpi.

    I first ran into this problem upgrading someone from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95.
    It seems that printer drivers have only become less efficient over the years and
    that print images (PDFs, complex Excel spreadsheets, web pages) have become more
    and more complicated.

    The best long term solution for any laser printer is to use PostScript with the
    maximum amount of memory the printer allows. Both my clients and I do not have
    any real printing problems because I've sold and currently use PostScript
    printers with a lot of memory.

    From a memory seller's web site:

    "The HP LaserJet 2200 uses 100-pin 66MHz type memory and has 2 bank(s) of 1
    socket(s) each for a total of 2 memory socket(s) . The HP LaserJet 2200 comes
    standard with 8MB of RAM and supports up to 72MB of RAM with 8MB of that in
    Fixed RAM". Maximum memory per socket is 32MB... Ben Myers

    On 20 Dec 2006 08:06:16 -0800, "ric" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've
    >been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP
    >machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, however,
    >it doesn't like printing PDFs. It'll print plain text fine, but PDFs
    >seem to fox it - either it'll sit there for 30 minutes or so then spit
    >out a few pages, or it'll do nothing.
    >No software changes to the computers have been made - is it possible
    >the memory's duff?
    >I've logged in to its webserver but can't find any detailed info about
    >the printer RAM in there - and on the info page printed when you hold
    >down the main button on power up it doesn't give info either.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest how I can get this working again?
    >
    >Ric

  4. Re: HP 2200DN PDF printing problems

    In article <1166630776.773259.191100@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.c om>,
    "ric" wrote:

    > Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've
    > been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP
    > machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, however,
    > it doesn't like printing PDFs. It'll print plain text fine, but PDFs
    > seem to fox it - either it'll sit there for 30 minutes or so then spit
    > out a few pages, or it'll do nothing.

    Ric-

    I've experienced a similar problem, but it seems to be related to a
    graphic on the cover of a weekly newsletter. I get around it by
    printing from Preview on the Macintosh, rather than from the Adobe
    Reader.

    I expect your printer does a memory check when you first turn it on,
    just as a computer might. My HP 4600 shows the memory count on its LCD
    display during startup.

    Fred

  5. Re: HP 2200DN PDF printing problems

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:06:16 -0800, ric wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Got an HP 2200 LJ at home, connected to my router via ethernet. I've
    > been printing to it quite happily for 6 months or so from both XP
    > machines and Mac OS X boxes, using default drivers. Recently, however,
    > it doesn't like printing PDFs. It'll print plain text fine, but PDFs
    > seem to fox it - either it'll sit there for 30 minutes or so then spit
    > out a few pages, or it'll do nothing.
    > No software changes to the computers have been made - is it possible
    > the memory's duff?
    > I've logged in to its webserver but can't find any detailed info about
    > the printer RAM in there - and on the info page printed when you hold
    > down the main button on power up it doesn't give info either.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest how I can get this working again?
    >
    > Ric

    FWIW - I use the rasterize image function when I run into that problem
    occasionally on my LaserJet 4000. it works great.

    --
    Clint Young

+ Reply to Thread