LH3 floor model won't start? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on LH3 floor model won't start? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, Just inherited an HP LH3 floor model. When I plug in the vga monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply and turn it, on it does the following: one beep, three beeps, three beeps and one beep and does ...

  1. LH3 floor model won't start?

    Hi all,

    Just inherited an HP LH3 floor model. When I plug in the
    vga monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply and turn
    it, on it does the following: one beep, three beeps, three beeps
    and one beep and does nothing. The light on the vga monitor
    stays orange (no signal) and there are no error codes displayed.
    I put a Knoppix bootable 5.01 cd in the cdrom and it doesn't
    boot. Haven't opened the box yet.

    any ideas?

    thanks,
    charles......

  2. Re: LH3 floor model won't start?

    "***** charles" wrote in message
    news:89_gh.28924$qO4.22723@newssvr13.news.prodigy. net...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just inherited an HP LH3 floor model. When I plug in the
    > vga monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply and turn
    > it, on it does the following: one beep, three beeps, three beeps
    > and one beep and does nothing. The light on the vga monitor
    > stays orange (no signal) and there are no error codes displayed.
    > I put a Knoppix bootable 5.01 cd in the cdrom and it doesn't
    > boot. Haven't opened the box yet.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles......

    Well, I opened the box. It had one stick of 128M of HP ram
    in slot 0 and one stick of 64M of clone ram in slot 3. Turns out the
    1-3-3-1 beep code means bad ram. I put in 4 of my own ram
    sitcks and just beeps once (assume normal). Now the 4 ram lights
    on the motheroboard blink out every second or so. I don't know if
    that is normal or not. It still doesn't boot to the cd. The status
    light on the monitor changes color slightly during the post and
    the 3 lights on the keyboard blink on and the left most light
    stays on for a while but after that, nothing. It has one P3-500
    cpu and a terminator in the other slot. It has one scsi drive
    don't know details yet.

    any hints yet?

    later.....

  3. Re: LH3 floor model won't start?

    Well, try it with just the single 128MB stick of HP RAM. Name brand servers
    most always require ECC registered DIMMs, and won't get along with the generic
    non-ECC DIMMs used in garden variety desktops.

    Even older HP servers would complain loudly (on screen during POST) if the ECC
    EDO DIMMs did not a tiny circuit identifying them as HP-brand. But I once
    upgraded an old HP Pentium Pro server with non-HP memory, and except for the
    POST message which could be overridden, the server ran fine for a couple of
    years until replaced.

    If you then want to spend a few bucks on some more tested 256MB PC100 ECC
    registered DIMMs, I still have a few left. Sold off some recently. Not at
    all expensive, either.

    Also, once the server is working (if you can get that far), you can install dual
    CPUs if and only if their steppings and speeds match... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:03:25 GMT, "***** charles" wrote:

    >"***** charles" wrote in message
    >news:89_gh.28924$qO4.22723@newssvr13.news.prodigy. net...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Just inherited an HP LH3 floor model. When I plug in the
    >> vga monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply and turn
    >> it, on it does the following: one beep, three beeps, three beeps
    >> and one beep and does nothing. The light on the vga monitor
    >> stays orange (no signal) and there are no error codes displayed.
    >> I put a Knoppix bootable 5.01 cd in the cdrom and it doesn't
    >> boot. Haven't opened the box yet.
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles......

    >Well, I opened the box. It had one stick of 128M of HP ram
    >in slot 0 and one stick of 64M of clone ram in slot 3. Turns out the
    >1-3-3-1 beep code means bad ram. I put in 4 of my own ram
    >sitcks and just beeps once (assume normal). Now the 4 ram lights
    >on the motheroboard blink out every second or so. I don't know if
    >that is normal or not. It still doesn't boot to the cd. The status
    >light on the monitor changes color slightly during the post and
    >the 3 lights on the keyboard blink on and the left most light
    >stays on for a while but after that, nothing. It has one P3-500
    >cpu and a terminator in the other slot. It has one scsi drive
    >don't know details yet.
    >
    >any hints yet?
    >
    >later.....

  4. Re: LH3 floor model won't start?

    I've already tried it with just the one HP ram stick, no help.
    I'm still getting nothing on the screen.
    Where is the info on how to use the lcd panel? It may give me a clue.
    What are the light ram monitors supposed to look like in "normal" mode
    that are on the motherboard?

    thanks.....

    wrote:

    > >"***** charles" wrote in message
    > >news:89_gh.28924$qO4.22723@newssvr13.news.prodigy. net...
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Just inherited an HP LH3 floor model. When I plug in the
    > >> vga monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply and turn
    > >> it, on it does the following: one beep, three beeps, three beeps
    > >> and one beep and does nothing. The light on the vga monitor
    > >> stays orange (no signal) and there are no error codes displayed.
    > >> I put a Knoppix bootable 5.01 cd in the cdrom and it doesn't
    > >> boot. Haven't opened the box yet.
    > >>
    > >> any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> thanks,
    > >> charles......

    > >Well, I opened the box. It had one stick of 128M of HP ram
    > >in slot 0 and one stick of 64M of clone ram in slot 3. Turns out the
    > >1-3-3-1 beep code means bad ram. I put in 4 of my own ram
    > >sitcks and just beeps once (assume normal). Now the 4 ram lights
    > >on the motheroboard blink out every second or so. I don't know if
    > >that is normal or not. It still doesn't boot to the cd. The status
    > >light on the monitor changes color slightly during the post and
    > >the 3 lights on the keyboard blink on and the left most light
    > >stays on for a while but after that, nothing. It has one P3-500
    > >cpu and a terminator in the other slot. It has one scsi drive
    > >don't know details yet.
    > >
    > >any hints yet?
    > >
    > >later.....

  5. Re: LH3 floor model won't start?

    On the seventh day, ***** charles wrote...

    > I've already tried it with just the one HP ram stick, no help.
    > I'm still getting nothing on the screen.
    > Where is the info on how to use the lcd panel? It may give me a clue.

    just press the buttons underneath. You should see type of the machine, RAM,
    and most recent failures or status.

    > What are the light ram monitors supposed to look like in "normal" mode
    > that are on the motherboard?

    they are solid and just blink when accessed as opposed to regular blinking
    frequency with non-HP-RAM.

    I'd suggest you take most parts apart and put it back in. Power supply,
    mainboard, RAM bay and so forth are easily accessible and can be removed
    with just unfastening the screws. The server *should* come back up. If not
    (try with just one power supply and move them around), you're out of luck.

    BTW: Unplug the power cord before working in the case. The system is on
    standby when the cord is connected to a working outlet.

    Christian Dürrhauer

    Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists..
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  6. Re: LH3 floor model won't start?

    "Christian Dürrhauer" wrote in message
    > On the seventh day, ***** charles wrote...
    >
    > > I've already tried it with just the one HP ram stick, no help.
    > > I'm still getting nothing on the screen.
    > > Where is the info on how to use the lcd panel? It may give me a clue.

    > just press the buttons underneath. You should see type of the machine,

    RAM,
    > and most recent failures or status.
    >
    > > What are the light ram monitors supposed to look like in "normal" mode
    > > that are on the motherboard?

    > they are solid and just blink when accessed as opposed to regular blinking
    > frequency with non-HP-RAM.
    >
    > I'd suggest you take most parts apart and put it back in. Power supply,
    > mainboard, RAM bay and so forth are easily accessible and can be removed
    > with just unfastening the screws. The server *should* come back up. If not
    > (try with just one power supply and move them around), you're out of luck.
    >
    > BTW: Unplug the power cord before working in the case. The system is on
    > standby when the cord is connected to a working outlet.

    Took apart, moved stuff around, no luck. I will end up getting scrap weight
    for it.

    thanks.....

+ Reply to Thread