How to plug HP LaserJet 6P into a network? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How to plug HP LaserJet 6P into a network? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I just set up a small network at home and are now looking for a possibility to connect my HP LaserJet 6P to the network. The only thing I found at the moment is bying a JetDirect System. As ...

  1. How to plug HP LaserJet 6P into a network?

    Hi,
    I just set up a small network at home and are now looking for a
    possibility to connect my HP LaserJet 6P to the network. The only thing
    I found at the moment is bying a JetDirect System. As I know this is a
    standalone system, a print server in the network which is connected to
    the printer paralell. But isn't this solution as slow as to connect the
    printer via paralell port to one of the pc's? Is there a kind of
    network card for the 6P available.

    Kind regards,
    Klaus

  2. Re: How to plug HP LaserJet 6P into a network?

    kdaling@uos.de wrote:

    > I just set up a small network at home and are now looking for a
    > possibility to connect my HP LaserJet 6P to the network. The only thing
    > I found at the moment is bying a JetDirect System. As I know this is a
    > standalone system, a print server in the network which is connected to
    > the printer paralell. But isn't this solution as slow as to connect the
    > printer via paralell port to one of the pc's?

    Depending on port settings, it could be faster, like if you had the PC
    parallel port in a slower mode. But at least it wouldn't be any slower.

    > Is there a kind of network card for the 6P available.

    The LJ6P doesn't have a slot for adding an internal card, so there's not
    much that can be done.

  3. Re: How to plug HP LaserJet 6P into a network?

    The primary benefit of using a network printer (i.e. jetdirect or IP or
    something) is that the printer can be used even when all the other machines
    are powered down. If you use the "share" technique to access the printer,
    the machine sharing the printer will always have to be powered up.

    As for speed... no difference.

    -Frank

    wrote in message
    news:1166227407.166714.19540@79g2000cws.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hi,
    > I just set up a small network at home and are now looking for a
    > possibility to connect my HP LaserJet 6P to the network. The only thing
    > I found at the moment is bying a JetDirect System. As I know this is a
    > standalone system, a print server in the network which is connected to
    > the printer paralell. But isn't this solution as slow as to connect the
    > printer via paralell port to one of the pc's? Is there a kind of
    > network card for the 6P available.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Klaus

+ Reply to Thread