usbstor.sys - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on usbstor.sys - Hewlett Packard ; I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file from driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it "has not ...

  1. usbstor.sys

    I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software
    because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file from
    driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it
    "has not passed Windows Logo testing".. when I click to install anyway, I
    get another message saying "file does not exist or is the incorrect
    version". I went to the MS website, since it's an MS file (I have Windows
    XP) but no help there.. at least they don't offer any downloads for usbstor.
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    Janine

  2. Re: usbstor.sys

    "Janine Williams" wrote in message
    >I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software
    >because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file from
    >driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it
    >"has not passed Windows Logo testing".. when I click to install anyway, I
    >get another message saying "file does not exist or is the incorrect
    >version". I went to the MS website, since it's an MS file (I have Windows
    >XP) but no help there.. at least they don't offer any downloads for
    >usbstor. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    If you want to install a downloaded driver get the one from HP:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=1119598

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

  3. Re: usbstor.sys

    According the Microsoft, usbstor.sys is the storage port driver for USB storage,
    i.e. an external USB disk drive, an USB magnetic card reader, or an USB memory
    stick. I would imagine that the OfficeJet 6310 installation software wants
    usbstor.sys to deal with the built in magnetic card slots on the 6310.
    usbstor.sys is a standard part of Windows, beginning with Windows ME and Windows
    2000.

    Which version of Windows are you running? Do you have the original install or
    restore CD for Windows for your computer? AFAIK, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    pre-install usbstor.sys along with all the other hardware modules in the system,
    so I would infer that you are trying to install thr 6310 on a Windows ME or even
    a Windows 98 computer. Please confirm which version of Windows you are using.

    To download usbstor.sys and related files for Windows ME, go to the Vivitar web
    site:

    http://www.vivitar.com/vivitarwork/library.php

    Unless the downloadable installation software from the HP web site includes a
    copy of usbstor,sys, it may be futile to download and try it. Perhaps the HP
    response to your problem can clarify this... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:07:33 GMT, "Janine Williams"
    wrote:

    >I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software
    >because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file from
    >driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it
    >"has not passed Windows Logo testing".. when I click to install anyway, I
    >get another message saying "file does not exist or is the incorrect
    >version". I went to the MS website, since it's an MS file (I have Windows
    >XP) but no help there.. at least they don't offer any downloads for usbstor.
    >Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >
    >Janine

  4. Re: usbstor.sys

    I have Windows XP, which is why I don't understand why it's not already
    there. Unfortunately I don't have the original Windows XP CD. That download
    on the HP site ... I'm not sure about that, it's like 298.19M file... I just
    need the one usbstore file which is around 26,000kb. I downloaded one from
    the driverguide.com site but my computer tells me its the wrong version.
    Seems like it would be easier to find a download for this file....

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    > According the Microsoft, usbstor.sys is the storage port driver for USB
    > storage,
    > i.e. an external USB disk drive, an USB magnetic card reader, or an USB
    > memory
    > stick. I would imagine that the OfficeJet 6310 installation software
    > wants
    > usbstor.sys to deal with the built in magnetic card slots on the 6310.
    > usbstor.sys is a standard part of Windows, beginning with Windows ME and
    > Windows
    > 2000.
    >
    > Which version of Windows are you running? Do you have the original
    > install or
    > restore CD for Windows for your computer? AFAIK, Windows 2000 and
    > Windows XP
    > pre-install usbstor.sys along with all the other hardware modules in the
    > system,
    > so I would infer that you are trying to install thr 6310 on a Windows ME
    > or even
    > a Windows 98 computer. Please confirm which version of Windows you are
    > using.
    >
    > To download usbstor.sys and related files for Windows ME, go to the
    > Vivitar web
    > site:
    >
    > http://www.vivitar.com/vivitarwork/library.php
    >
    > Unless the downloadable installation software from the HP web site
    > includes a
    > copy of usbstor,sys, it may be futile to download and try it. Perhaps
    > the HP
    > response to your problem can clarify this... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:07:33 GMT, "Janine Williams"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software
    >>because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file
    >>from
    >>driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it
    >>"has not passed Windows Logo testing".. when I click to install anyway, I
    >>get another message saying "file does not exist or is the incorrect
    >>version". I went to the MS website, since it's an MS file (I have Windows
    >>XP) but no help there.. at least they don't offer any downloads for
    >>usbstor.
    >>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>
    >>Janine

  5. Re: usbstor.sys

    You are 1000% correct. usbstor.sys should be already there on your system.
    What happens when you do a Windows seach for usbstor ? Maybe it's there
    someplace, but not in a folder where Windows can use it?

    If your computer system was set up at the "factory" or set up with a Windows
    restore CD, this would explain the absence. What brand of computer is it? Can
    you contact the manufacturer and ask for your own Windows install CD. Under
    serious pressure from Micro$oft, in its usual lame attempts to prevent software
    piracy, name brand manufacturers often do not include a Windows install CD "in
    the box" with a new system.

    I am using a Windows 2000 system right now, but you probably cannot use the
    Windows 2000 version of usbstor.sys . I'll try emailing it to you anyway. I
    can plug in a Windows XP system, find usbstor.sys and email it to you... Ben
    Myers

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:43:01 GMT, "Cameron" wrote:

    >I have Windows XP, which is why I don't understand why it's not already
    >there. Unfortunately I don't have the original Windows XP CD. That download
    >on the HP site ... I'm not sure about that, it's like 298.19M file... I just
    >need the one usbstore file which is around 26,000kb. I downloaded one from
    >the driverguide.com site but my computer tells me its the wrong version.
    >Seems like it would be easier to find a download for this file....
    >
    >"Ben Myers" wrote in message
    >> According the Microsoft, usbstor.sys is the storage port driver for USB
    >> storage,
    >> i.e. an external USB disk drive, an USB magnetic card reader, or an USB
    >> memory
    >> stick. I would imagine that the OfficeJet 6310 installation software
    >> wants
    >> usbstor.sys to deal with the built in magnetic card slots on the 6310.
    >> usbstor.sys is a standard part of Windows, beginning with Windows ME and
    >> Windows
    >> 2000.
    >>
    >> Which version of Windows are you running? Do you have the original
    >> install or
    >> restore CD for Windows for your computer? AFAIK, Windows 2000 and
    >> Windows XP
    >> pre-install usbstor.sys along with all the other hardware modules in the
    >> system,
    >> so I would infer that you are trying to install thr 6310 on a Windows ME
    >> or even
    >> a Windows 98 computer. Please confirm which version of Windows you are
    >> using.
    >>
    >> To download usbstor.sys and related files for Windows ME, go to the
    >> Vivitar web
    >> site:
    >>
    >> http://www.vivitar.com/vivitarwork/library.php
    >>
    >> Unless the downloadable installation software from the HP web site
    >> includes a
    >> copy of usbstor,sys, it may be futile to download and try it. Perhaps
    >> the HP
    >> response to your problem can clarify this... Ben Myers
    >>

    >> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:07:33 GMT, "Janine Williams"
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just purchased an HP officejet 6310 and can't even install the software
    >>>because it keeps looking for a usbstor.sys file. I downloaded the file
    >>>from
    >>>driversguide.com but when trying things again, I get the message that it
    >>>"has not passed Windows Logo testing".. when I click to install anyway, I
    >>>get another message saying "file does not exist or is the incorrect
    >>>version". I went to the MS website, since it's an MS file (I have Windows
    >>>XP) but no help there.. at least they don't offer any downloads for
    >>>usbstor.
    >>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>Janine

  6. Re: usbstor.sys

    Have a look here-:
    http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/28/28628.htm its a USB driver file,
    are the USB drivers installed..? Check in device manager, click
    control panel, Perf & maintenance, click System and then the
    Hardware tab.

    Davy

+ Reply to Thread