eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help - Hewlett Packard ; I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't afford a new ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    email fine.

    It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus? If I change fonts frequently,
    what do I need to do to keep postscript printing? Can I convert the PS
    output w/o creating a PDF? The 4M Plus has another language called
    PCL-- what is this?

    I know its a lot of questions. If you print from a postscript
    application you'll likely have the real questions that I need to be
    asking. ehehe.

    NB

  2. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    > LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    > user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    > afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    > model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    > email fine.
    >
    > It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    > rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help.

    This makes it sound like a lack of memory. The LJ4M takes 8M 72-pin
    SIMMs, and you may be able to find them for next to nothing:

    http://www.shawnbehrens.de/hpmem.htm

    > It eliminated some errors, but I'm still having trouble with the
    > fonts. Will someone explain the deal with downloading fonts to the 4M
    > Plus? If I change fonts frequently, what do I need to do to keep
    > postscript printing? Can I convert the PS output w/o creating a PDF?

    I can't recall any problems with LJ4M fonts, but it's been a while.

    > The 4M Plus has another language called PCL-- what is this?

    HP's PDL:

    http://undocprint.printassociates.co..._languages/pcl

  3. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    My simple, and perhaps simplistic, response is that I have never had any
    difficulty printing anything with PostScript on a LaserJet 4M, 4M+ or 5M as long
    as the on-board memory is maxed out. For the LJ4M+, this means installing
    three 16MB 72-pin fast page mode SIMMs (strictly conforming to JEDEC spec)
    alongside the PostScript SIMM. I used a 4M+ for a number of years, and have
    used a 5M for a couple now. When I say never, I mean NEVER. To install the
    SIMMs, you may need to remove the usual 4MB SIMM that comes along with the
    PostScript.

    Open up the panel on the right side (one screw, then it slides off toward the
    back), then open up the metal door which covers the SIMM sockets.

    I have also sold a number of these printers, always with memory at the max of
    50MB, and never gotten a complaint from anyone about being able to print
    something.

    Illustrator could possibly be a little convoluted in the way that it generates
    its PostScript output. You might also try producing a PDF with Illustrator,
    either through Acrobat (if included with the Adobe software you bought) or a
    VERY handy bit of Open Source software called PDFCreator, which I use often.

    Finally, PCL5 is the 5th incarnation of HP's proprietary Printer Control
    Langauge. HP might have seen it as the answer to PostScript, but it is
    decidedly inferior when handling PostScript files generated by Adobe products.
    Adobe even has on line help for its Acrobat Reader, suggesting that when
    printing to a PCL printer the output should be generated as a bitmap, one of the
    Acrobat Reader checkbox options. I seem to recall that Illustrator has this
    option, too. You might try it, until you've added memory to your LJ4M+.

    If you do not have a reliable source for 16MB 72-pin SIMMs for HP printers,
    contact me off line. I have a bunch and will sell three at a fair price.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 7 Dec 2006 17:37:11 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    >LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    >user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    >afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    >model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    >email fine.
    >
    >It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    >rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    >I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    >with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus? If I change fonts frequently,
    >what do I need to do to keep postscript printing? Can I convert the PS
    >output w/o creating a PDF? The 4M Plus has another language called
    >PCL-- what is this?
    >
    >I know its a lot of questions. If you print from a postscript
    >application you'll likely have the real questions that I need to be
    >asking. ehehe.
    >
    >NB

  4. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    One more thing. You can print a test page from the printer control panel. Take
    the printer off line, then cycle through options with the menu button until you
    see "TEST MENU". Hit the Item button once, then Select to print a test page,
    which will tell you how much memory the printer has, as well as other
    information like pages printed... Ben Myers

    On 7 Dec 2006 17:37:11 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    >LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    >user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    >afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    >model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    >email fine.
    >
    >It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    >rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    >I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    >with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus? If I change fonts frequently,
    >what do I need to do to keep postscript printing? Can I convert the PS
    >output w/o creating a PDF? The 4M Plus has another language called
    >PCL-- what is this?
    >
    >I know its a lot of questions. If you print from a postscript
    >application you'll likely have the real questions that I need to be
    >asking. ehehe.
    >
    >NB

  5. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    > LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    > user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    > afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    > model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    > email fine.
    >
    > It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    > rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    > I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    > with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus?

    Another thought: maybe you have Illustrator set to output PostScript
    level 3 code. The LJ4M is PostScript level 2.

  6. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    The HP 4 seems to be very versitle. If there are any modifications to
    improve the 4M, I'm sure I'll find them in the groups. With eBay 4Ms
    are going to be around even longer.

    My 4M+ came with 32MB and its lightening fast on all my other print
    jobs. (BM, do you sell memory on eBay or in a B'nM store?)

    The trouble with Illustrator may be worse. I've read in a few groups
    that the newer applications have a lot of print bloat. Maybe
    Illustrator X for Mac OS X is not compatible with the 4M+.

    I'm going to keep asking to try to learn more about how the 4M works
    with postscript fonts--until I find the User Manual.

    NB

  7. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    Good point! I hadn't thought of that, even though I did a lot of work with a
    client and Illustrator recently. Well worth a try to produce PostScript Level
    2 output... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:16 -0000, Warren Block wrote:

    >neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    >> LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    >> user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    >> afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    >> model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    >> email fine.
    >>
    >> It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    >> rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    >> I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    >> with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus?

    >Another thought: maybe you have Illustrator set to output PostScript
    >level 3 code. The LJ4M is PostScript level 2.

  8. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    The sole modifications possible for the 4M+ are additional memory and an
    Ethernet card. It does make sense to "network" a laser printer even if only
    one computer is using it. Ethernet is much, much, much faster than either
    AppleTalk or parallel port. Is there the possibility that the cable between
    computer and printer is defective?

    I sell quite a bit of stuff on eBay (eBay ID ben_myers with consistent good
    feedback for years), but for a small transaction eBay is not worth it. If your
    printer has 32MB of memory, it would either a pair of 16MB or one 16MB + 2x8MB,
    with the 4th SIMM socket occupied by the PostScript SIMM. You would need
    either one or two 16MB SIMMs, depending on the present memory setup. If you
    want to get some memory, I'll sell it direct with payment via check or PayPal.

    Print bloat seems to be a spreading disease with nearly all software these days.
    Microsoft is still the world leader in producing software with unnecessary print
    bloat. The very complexity of Adobe's graphics oriented software leads to print
    bloat. Maxing out printer memory is one way to deal with the bloat.

    The other possibilities really involve print parameters, both at the level of
    the operating system and Illustrator itself. Although limited visually, try
    producing something with Illustrator selecting from among only the standard 35
    fonts, making sure that Illustrator knows to use the fonts baked into the
    printer. If you have Adobe Acrobat or the Mac has a version of PDFCreator, try
    producing PDF as an intermediate result, then printing the PDF. Those are the
    only other suggestions that come to mind right now... Ben Myers

    On 7 Dec 2006 21:16:59 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >The HP 4 seems to be very versitle. If there are any modifications to
    >improve the 4M, I'm sure I'll find them in the groups. With eBay 4Ms
    >are going to be around even longer.
    >
    >My 4M+ came with 32MB and its lightening fast on all my other print
    >jobs. (BM, do you sell memory on eBay or in a B'nM store?)
    >
    >The trouble with Illustrator may be worse. I've read in a few groups
    >that the newer applications have a lot of print bloat. Maybe
    >Illustrator X for Mac OS X is not compatible with the 4M+.
    >
    >I'm going to keep asking to try to learn more about how the 4M works
    >with postscript fonts--until I find the User Manual.
    >
    >NB

  9. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    On the seventh day, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote...

    > The trouble with Illustrator may be worse. I've read in a few groups
    > that the newer applications have a lot of print bloat. Maybe
    > Illustrator X for Mac OS X is not compatible with the 4M+.

    Postscript is probably one of the most durable and compatible standards
    there is (with a few minor exceptions to the rule). Having said that, it is
    highly unlikely your printer is at fault. Also, PCL is not that bad. There
    are, however, newer versions of the PS standard. If Illustrator doesn't
    support the old (I think it must be v.2) PS, you're definitely better off
    using PCL and bitmaps.

    Check your printer driver (use the newest you can get) and its settings. A
    good rule is to try out both printer languages. So, if one fails, you might
    still get results using the other. It is crucial that you follow Ben's
    advice to max out memory.

    I am still using a 5SiMx and some 4. They are slower for the first page and
    besides having max. memory they work noticably longer on graphics than
    newer printers such as the 43x0, but other than that, they are rock solid
    workhorses. I have never had any troubles, neither with the hardware, nor
    with Postscript.

    HTH

    Christian Dürrhauer

    Ford Prefect: We're safe. Arthur Dent: Ah. Good. Ford Prefect: We're in a
    cabin of one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet. Arthur Dent:
    Ah. This is obviously some strange usage of the word "safe" that I hadn't
    previously been aware of.

  10. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    The HP LASERJET 4, 4, 4M, 4M, 5, 5M, 5N Service Manual.pdf
    http://www.feedroller.com/Store/hp_manuals.php
    (Scroll down on the above page).

    On 7 Dec 2006 17:37:11 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    -|I purchased a legacy HP 4M+ to temporarily replace my old Apple
    -|LaserWriter. Ok. Its old and I don't have a manual (HP doesn't have the
    -|user manual online anymore I needed a quick replacement and couldn't
    -|afford a new laser printer. I probably should have held out for a newer
    -|model, but I was in a hurry. The printer prints text, browsers, and
    -|email fine.
    -|
    -|It chokes on Adobe Illustrator. I searched groups and found out down
    -|rezing from 600 to 300 dpi will help. It eliminated some errors, but
    -|I'm still having trouble with the fonts. Will someone explain the deal
    -|with downloading fonts to the 4M Plus? If I change fonts frequently,
    -|what do I need to do to keep postscript printing? Can I convert the PS
    -|output w/o creating a PDF? The 4M Plus has another language called
    -|PCL-- what is this?
    -|
    -|I know its a lot of questions. If you print from a postscript
    -|application you'll likely have the real questions that I need to be
    -|asking. ehehe.
    -|
    -|NB

  11. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    > The HP LASERJET 4, 4, 4M, 4M, 5, 5M, 5N Service Manual.pdf
    > http://www.feedroller.com/Store/hp_manuals.php

    The service manual. I don't know... Does that have the instructions for
    troubleshooting font set up? I think the service manual is its own
    document totally devoted to troubleshooting the hardware guts.

    The modification I was thinking of were more like 3RD party software to
    set it up, OR a combination of applications and advise like the memory
    upgrades that reflect the knowledge of users who are trying to hold on
    to the hardware they have that is still working. A friend of mine still
    uses an older version of some graphics software--whatever. I've tried
    to get him to upgrade, but he insists he OWNS the software and as long
    as he can work around it, he has no reason to upgrade. Work arounds
    keeping old equipment viable that is what I am looking to in groups
    for. ehehe

    I believe that fonts not installed on the printer only make the printer
    slower. Illustrator X has a feature that is default set to PS2, which
    this printer has. When I test a print with a font (outlined fonts print
    fine) the job disappears. It doesn't print and it never shows up in the
    print que on the host computer. This leads me to think the driver is
    choking. I choose the what I believe is the 4M+ legacy driver. If there
    is another driver that works on the 4M+ I have not found it yet.

    NB

  12. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    On drivers here is the list I have available:
    HP LaserJet 4 Plus v2013.111
    HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 300DPI
    HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 600DPI
    HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 600DPI
    HP LaserJet 4MP v2013.103

    I've been using the 4/4M PS 600DPI. After my post I tried a few others
    with various disasterous effects. Its all very discouraging.

  13. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    For OS X, the HP web site has two downloads for the LaserJet 4M Plus:

    HP LaserJet Mac OS X Universal Binary Generic Print Driver Installer
    HP LaserJet Printing Software and Utility

    I do not know the difference between the two.

    Your other choice is to download and install the 4M Plus PostScript PPD file
    from the Adobe web site.

    Note that the 4 Plus and 4MP are very different animals. Do not even bother
    with a the 4MP, ever.

    I suspect that the first driver on your list is HP PCL5... Ben Myers

    On 8 Dec 2006 10:29:20 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >On drivers here is the list I have available:
    >HP LaserJet 4 Plus v2013.111
    >HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 300DPI
    >HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 600DPI
    >HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 600DPI
    >HP LaserJet 4MP v2013.103
    >
    >I've been using the 4/4M PS 600DPI. After my post I tried a few others
    >with various disasterous effects. Its all very discouraging.

  14. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    OK. I'm back. A little more dig'n and i understand that the printer's
    PS firmware can be reinstalled. I've done some cleaning up based on
    this disscussion thread and here is the corner I've painter myself
    into:

    When printing any fonts in Adobe Illustrator X, this HP 4M+ postscript
    printer barfs out pages. Here is the setup.
    + The 4M+
    |-- Set to factory defaults except for the TCP/IP.
    |-- Prints vector art/font outlines fine from Illustrator X.
    |-- Printer Driver: HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 300DPI.
    |-- 38MB RAM.

    + Print Setup in Adobe Illustrator X
    |-- Page is one character of Zapf Dingbats (included in the
    preinstalled typefaces on the HP4M+).
    |-- Page Set Up: select the printer.
    |-- Print Dialog: PS2.

    Will someone explain firmware maintenance for the 4M?

  15. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    I am not familiar with the driver setup on a Mac, but here are some things to
    consider based on the setup on a Windows PC:

    1. You can't change or maintain the firmware on an HP laser printer. It is
    burned onto a PostScript SIMM and into the circuit board that drives the
    printer. Make sure that the PostScript SIMM is the right one for the LJ 4M+.
    Every HP PostScript printer requires a different PostScript personality SIMM.
    They are not compatible between models of printers. Remove the SIMM, & verify
    that it is the correct part number by googling it. What you are describing is
    somewhat exceptional. And make sure that the test page printed by the printer
    identifies it as a 4M+. It is possible that someone switched plastic housings
    when refurbing the printer. They are physically interchangable, because the
    4M+ is essentially a modestly upgraded 4M with the same guts, different
    firmware, different PostScript SIMM, and better power saving features.
    2. In the world of Windows drivers, there is a Font Substitution Table which
    controls whether the printer uses built-in fonts or downloadable ones. For
    economy and speed of printing with the greatest reliability, you want to use the
    printer's built-in fonts when it does not compromise print quality.
    3. Likewise, there are parameters that control the downloading of fonts as
    bitmaps and as outlines.
    4. There are driver options to convert gray text and gray graphics to be managed
    by PostScript.
    5. You can also set up the driver to match the amount of memory available for
    PostScript use, although I have found that tweaking this setting does not do
    much at all.
    6. But most important of all, you should be using the Mac driver for the
    LaserJet 4M Plus, not the older LaserJet 4M. In theory, a 4M+ will work with
    the 4M driver. In practice, it may not.

    38MB of printer memory is somewhat unusual. What are the capacities of the
    installed memory SIMMs?

    How is your printer connected to the Mac? Via Ethernet, parallel port,
    AppleTalk, or otherwise? ... Ben Myers

    On 10 Dec 2006 10:03:11 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >OK. I'm back. A little more dig'n and i understand that the printer's
    >PS firmware can be reinstalled. I've done some cleaning up based on
    >this disscussion thread and here is the corner I've painter myself
    >into:
    >
    >When printing any fonts in Adobe Illustrator X, this HP 4M+ postscript
    >printer barfs out pages. Here is the setup.
    >+ The 4M+
    >|-- Set to factory defaults except for the TCP/IP.
    >|-- Prints vector art/font outlines fine from Illustrator X.
    >|-- Printer Driver: HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript 300DPI.
    >|-- 38MB RAM.
    >
    >+ Print Setup in Adobe Illustrator X
    >|-- Page is one character of Zapf Dingbats (included in the
    >preinstalled typefaces on the HP4M+).
    >|-- Page Set Up: select the printer.
    >|-- Print Dialog: PS2.
    >
    >Will someone explain firmware maintenance for the 4M?

  16. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > I am not familiar with the driver setup on a Mac, but here are some things to
    > consider based on the setup on a Windows PC:

    > 2. In the world of Windows drivers, there is a Font Substitution Table which
    > controls whether the printer uses built-in fonts or downloadable ones. For
    > economy and speed of printing with the greatest reliability, you want to use the
    > printer's built-in fonts when it does not compromise print quality.
    > 3. Likewise, there are parameters that control the downloading of fonts as
    > bitmaps and as outlines.

    Related to this is the sometimes hard-to-find setting of whether or not
    to substitute or download TrueType fonts. On the LJ4050 Windows driver,
    it's General/Printing Preferences/Advanced/Graphic/TrueType Font and can
    be set to "Substitute With Device Font" or "Download as Softfont". I
    can't recall the first option ever working.

  17. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    > When printing any fonts in Adobe Illustrator X, this HP 4M+ postscript
    > printer barfs out pages.

    More specifics might help; what, exactly, is on those pages? Is it
    PostScript code? Is it bitmap data printed as text (smiley faces and
    graphics characters)?

    "Barfs out pages" sounds like the job might be corrupt. Some ideas:

    * The printer is misidentifying the job as PCL. You can set the
    "personality" (autodetection of PDL) on the printer to PostScript
    only.

    * PostScript error? Turn on "print PostScript errors" on the LJ4 menus.

    * The program is sending the fonts in a format the printer can't handle.
    Depends on the software.

    > Will someone explain firmware maintenance for the 4M?

    The short answer is "there isn't any". The longer answer is that you
    can replace the PostScript SIMM, but it's unlikely that will make a
    difference. (Unless the replacement is a later bugfixed version, and
    what you are seeing may not be a bug, and there may not be a fix. So
    ignore this for now.)

  18. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    I'm going to check these details. Just to answer a few questions to
    keep the ball rolling,

    >LaserJet 4M Plus, not the older LaserJet 4M. In theory, a 4M+ will work with
    >the 4M driver.

    I've tried all the drivers I listed above. All have the same result.

    >38MB of printer memory is somewhat unusual. What are the capacities of the
    >installed memory SIMMs?

    Self Test says total memory 38 MB. Maybe the refurbisher put in some
    bad SIMMS to sell the printer? But then why would it work at all? I
    will open the box to check the chips. Is there a parity (is that the
    term?) issue when installing ram in the printer?

    >How is your printer connected to the Mac? Via Ethernet, parallel port,
    >AppleTalk, or otherwise?

    + HUB
    |-- DSL 192.168.0.1
    |-- TiG4 DHCP from DSL modem
    |-- Printer 192.168.0.100

    > More specifics might help; what, exactly, is on those pages? Is it
    > PostScript code? Is it bitmap data printed as text (smiley faces and
    > graphics characters)?

    Its monospaced ASCII text that overprints itself, sometimes a few
    lines, sometimes nothing but a blank page or one period.

    > * The printer is misidentifying the job as PCL. You can set the
    > "personality" (autodetection of PDL) on the printer to PostScript
    > only.

    My regression test for this is to always make an AI doc with one
    character of a font installed on the printer (zapf dingbats). I always
    check the documents set up to be sure it has the PPD description
    (margins, and what not). Print dialog is default (PS level 2) and force
    download of font.

    I've tried Personality= PS and Personality=PCL, Personality=AUTO

    > * PostScript error? Turn on "print PostScript errors" on the LJ4 menus.

    This is a strange one and confusing. I turned on PS error reporting and
    turned it off because I mistakenly believed the copious amounts of
    pages printed were the error report. I knbow now this is not the case.
    I have one PS error report that is also misleading because it
    contradicts the actual settings:

    ERROR: Your application needs to be configured for printing to a
    PostScript Language Level 2 printer. > PostScript options section of the Advanced Print dialog.>

    > And its not because I printed PS3. Default is PS2 and I have never
    > tried PS3 since the printer does not support it.

    It is possible your application is sending a font that needs PS3, or a
    buggy driver that thinks a PS3 feature is available under PS2. I'd
    suggest two things:

    1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can
    download it and examine it.

    2. Post a summary of the problem and the pointer to the file in
    comp.lang.postscript.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast