eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help - Hewlett Packard ; > 1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can > download it and examine it. Because you asked for it... Original Adobe Illustrator 10.0 file does not print= http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ai Does not print= http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    > 1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can
    > download it and examine it.

    Because you asked for it...

    Original Adobe Illustrator 10.0 file does not print=
    http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ai

    Does not print=
    http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps

    This pdf prints=
    http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf

    NB

  2. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> 1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can
    >> download it and examine it.

    > Because you asked for it...
    >
    > Original Adobe Illustrator 10.0 file does not print=
    > http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ai
    >
    > Does not print=
    > http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps
    >
    > This pdf prints=
    > http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf

    Followed up in comp.lang.postscript...

  3. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    For what it is worth, after some time experimenting, I was unable to print the
    ..ps file successfully on my HP LaserJet 5M. Also, I could not view it with
    GhostView, the open source program used to view PostScript files. My printer
    printed garbage, like yours did and GhostView complained of errors and displayed
    nothing.

    At this point, I suspect that something is not right with either Illustrator
    10.0 on the Mac, or something is not quite right with the way the Mac produces
    PostScript output... Ben Myers

    On 10 Dec 2006 18:45:25 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >> 1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can
    >> download it and examine it.

    >Because you asked for it...
    >
    >Original Adobe Illustrator 10.0 file does not print=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ai
    >
    >Does not print=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps
    >
    >This pdf prints=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf
    >
    >NB

  4. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    FWIW, here is the message file generated by GhostView, which is complaining
    about what it thinks is a decidedly non-standard PostScript file. My guess is
    that the PostScript SIMM in either an LJ4M+ or LJ5M has the same difficulty
    digesting the file. The problem here seems to be with either Illustrator or
    the Mac PostScript driver, which appears to be PS Level 2... Ben Myers

    GSview 4.8 2006-02-25
    Unknown in Comments section at line 8:
    %%DocumentFonts:

    Unknown in Comments section at line 11:
    %%DocumentSuppliedResources:

    Unknown in Comments section at line 12:
    %%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Image (1.0 0)

    Unknown in Comments section at line 13:
    %%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Utility_MAKEOCF (1.13 0)

    Unknown in Comments section at line 14:
    %%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Core (2.12 0)

    Unknown in Comments section at line 15:
    %%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Core (2.0 0)

    Unknown in Comments section at line 16:
    %%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Utils (1.0 0)

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 20:
    %%DocumentMedia: (Default) 611 791 0 () ()

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 27:
    %%BoundingBox: 12 0 612 780

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 28:
    %%HiResBoundingBox: 12 0 612 780

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 29:
    %%CropBox: 12 0 612 780

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 30:
    %%TargetDevice: (HP LaserJet 4 Plus) (2013.111) 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 31:
    %%DocumentProcessColors: (atend)

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 32:
    %%DocumentCustomColors: (atend)

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 33:
    %%EndComments

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 36:
    %%ViewingOrientation: 1 0 0 1

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 38:
    %%ViewingOrientation: 1 0 0 1

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 39:
    %%EndDefaults

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 49:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_feature-1.01

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 50:
    %%Copyright: Copyright 1990-1999 Adobe Systems Incorporated and Apple Computer
    Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 202:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 203:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_basic-4.0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 354:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 356:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_safeclipL12-1.0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 416:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 418:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_safeclipL3-1.0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 420:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 422:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_level1_colorspace-2.0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 476:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 477:
    %%BeginFile: lw8_bubn-2.1

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 587:
    %%EndFile

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 594:
    %%Version: 1.0 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 595:
    %%Copyright: Copyright (C) 2000-2000 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 939:
    %%Version: 2.0 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 940:
    %%Copyright: Copyright (C) 1997-1999 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2596:
    %%Copyright: Copyright 1997-2001 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights
    Reserved.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2597:
    %%Version: 2.12 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2789:
    %%Copyright: Copyright 1987-2001 Adobe Systems Incorporated.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2790:
    %%Version: 1.13 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2990:
    %%Version: 1.0 0

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 2991:
    %%Copyright: Copyright (C) 2000-2000 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 3004:
    %%don't initialize AGMIMG_&customcolorimage, it wrecks havoc in a nested
    environment

    Unknown in Prolog section at line 3005:
    %%AGMIMG_ccimage_exists not {/AGMIMG_&customcolorimage nd} if

    Unknown in Page section at line 3916:
    %%EndPageComments

    DSC Information
    At line 4015:
    cvt '2R

    Lines in DSC documents must be shorter than 255 characters.
    Unknown in Trailer section at line 4497:
    %%CMYKCustomColor:

    Unknown in Trailer section at line 4498:
    %%RGBCustomColor:

    GPL Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)
    Copyright (C) 2006 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved.
    This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
    Displaying DSC file C:/hp4m_ps_print_test.ps
    Displaying page 1
    Error: /syntaxerror in --%ztokenexec_continue--
    Operand stack:
    --nostringval--
    Execution stack:
    %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
    2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push
    1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3
    %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2
    %stopped_push --nostringval--
    Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1130/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:82/200(L)--
    --dict:100/153(L)--
    Current allocation mode is local
    Last OS error: No such file or directory

    --- Begin offending input ---
    %%BeginSetup
    %RBIIncludeNonPPDFeature: *NumCopies 1
    %RBIBeginNonPPDFeature: *WaitTimeout 600
    600/languagelevel where{pop languagelevel 2 ge}{false}ifelse{1 dict
    dup/WaitTimeout 4 -1 roll put setuserparams}{statusdict/waittimeout 3 -1 roll
    put}ifelse
    %RBIEndNonPPDFeature
    md begin
    sfcl{
    %%BeginFeature: *HPEconoMode True
    @PJL SET EconoMode = ON<0A>
    %%EndFeature

    }efcl
    sfcl{
    %%BeginFeature: *ManualFeed False

    <> setpagedevice
    %%EndFeature

    }efcl
    sfcl{
    %%BeginFeature: *PageSize Letter

    <>
    setpagedevice
    %%EndFeature

    }efcl
    sfcl{
    %%BeginFeature: *Smoothing None

    << /PostRenderingEnhance true
    /PostRenderingEnhanceDetails << /REValue 0 /Type 8 >>
    >> setpagedevice

    %%EndFeature

    }efcl
    end
    md begin
    (Christian Simon)setjob
    /mT[1 0 0 -1 12 780]def
    %RBIIncludeStartNup
    /sD 16 dict def
    {/Courier findfont[10 0 0 -10 0 0]:mf setfont}stopped{$error/newerror F put}if
    %ADOBeginClientInjection: DocumentSetup Start "AI10"
    %ADOEndClientInje
    --- End offending input ---
    file offset = 97426
    gsapi_run_string_continue returns -101

    On 10 Dec 2006 18:45:25 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >> 1. Save a sample PostScript file and post a pointer to it so others can
    >> download it and examine it.

    >Because you asked for it...
    >
    >Original Adobe Illustrator 10.0 file does not print=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ai
    >
    >Does not print=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps
    >
    >This pdf prints=
    >http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf
    >
    >NB

  5. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    Ben, I emailed you directly to ask if there was any glaring issue with
    the chips I described (like the PS socket is empty; whichever one that
    is (>_<)

    NB

  6. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    The PostScript SIMM, if present, should have a white sticker on it marked with
    the part number, C3129.

    If you have already printed a test page from the control panel of the LJ4M+, the
    test page will confirm the presence of the PostScript SIMM.

    You CAN print from other software on the Mac, right?

    And, as I posted earlier, I was unsuccessful printing the .PS file which you
    posted on your web site. GhostView would not display it, either. Somehow,
    your Mac is producing bad PostScript output, or Illustrator is. I cannot
    conclude otherwise.

    I do not have a completely clear idea of what works with your printer and what
    does not work. So...

    1. Have you printed a test page? If not, please do so, examine and confirm
    that the PostScript SIMM is present. I ***THINK*** you did print a test page,
    else how would you know that the memory capacity was 38MB, an unusual amount, by
    the way.

    1a. From the printed test page or by removing and inspecting the memory SIMMs,
    please verify the EXACT amount of memory installed.

    2. Does the Mac identify the printer's driver specifically as a LaserJet 4M+
    PostScript? If not, the LaserJet 4M PostScript driver is a suitable
    substitute. NO OTHER PRINTER DRIVER WILL WORK RELIABLY.

    3. Can you print successfully from other Mac programs, like Word documents or
    Safari web pages? Yes or no?

    Seems like we're going in circles a bit here Please answer the above
    questions, and maybe we can make progress... Ben Myers

    On 11 Dec 2006 12:24:54 -0800, neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Ben, I emailed you directly to ask if there was any glaring issue with
    >the chips I described (like the PS socket is empty; whichever one that
    >is (>_<)
    >
    >NB

  7. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    In article <1165805125.456154.283990@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups. com>,
    neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Does not print=
    > http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps
    >
    > This pdf prints=
    > http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf

    NB-

    This may not be a defective PostScript file. It doesn't open with
    Apple's preview, but it did print when I dropped it onto the Printer
    Setup Utility's icon for an HP 4600N. The image printed is the same as
    in your .pdf file.

    Perhaps the amount of RAM in your printer has something to do with your
    problem. My HP 4600N has the RAM maxed-out at 416 MB.

    Fred

  8. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    But the PostScript file did not print correctly on my LaserJet 5M with maximum
    memory of 50MB, and GhostView flagged a lot of errors and would not display it.

    I'm not sure how to resolve these contradictions, unless somehow Illustrator and
    the Mac together are producing PostScript Level 3, whereas the LJ4M+ is Level 2
    only? ... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:41:59 -0500, Fred McKenzie wrote:

    >In article <1165805125.456154.283990@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups. com>,
    > neon_bikini@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Does not print=
    >> http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h..._print_test.ps
    >>
    >> This pdf prints=
    >> http://neonbikini.8bit.co.uk/files/h...print_test.pdf

    >NB-
    >
    >This may not be a defective PostScript file. It doesn't open with
    >Apple's preview, but it did print when I dropped it onto the Printer
    >Setup Utility's icon for an HP 4600N. The image printed is the same as
    >in your .pdf file.
    >
    >Perhaps the amount of RAM in your printer has something to do with your
    >problem. My HP 4600N has the RAM maxed-out at 416 MB.
    >
    >Fred

  9. Re: eBay purchased legacy printer - Troubleshooting help

    Ok. Its definitely Adobe Illustrator 10.0 and Apple's PostScript having
    the trouble. I was able to dig up an old version of Adobe Illustrator
    (v10 for OS 9) from before Apple took over the PostScript on the Mac.
    The file printed fine.

    Before OS X, Adobe authored the PS driver for the Mac (v8). This also
    had an additional menu entitled PostScript Settings (this included
    option for PS1, PS2, and PS3, PS2 Only, PS3 Only). Seems Adobe had both
    AI's special settings and PS special settings. Apple removed the PS
    settings as they do appear redundant. Who knows what's also missing
    from the implementation!

    I'm going to try to get some answers over there. Hilarity ensues.

    NB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2