Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller - Hewlett Packard ; We run Server 2003 on a Proliant DL320 G2 with integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID controller. Driver version 2.5.2006.613 is installed along with HP Proliant Integrated ATA Raid Management Utility version 2.5.32.7. It is configured as RAID 1. The HP ...

  1. Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller

    We run Server 2003 on a Proliant DL320 G2 with integrated Ultra ATA-100
    IDE RAID controller. Driver version 2.5.2006.613 is installed along
    with HP Proliant Integrated ATA Raid Management Utility version
    2.5.32.7. It is configured as RAID 1. The HP Management Homepage shows
    its status, but provides no management utilities. The Spy Service tray
    icon has options to stop the service or delete the log file, but
    nothing else. I see no way to read the log file or actually run
    management utilities, such as a drive consistency check, on the array
    from within the operating system. The only management possible is
    through the BIOS configuration program. Is there no way to read the log
    file and no actual management possible from within the OS or am I
    missing some components? In the megaraid program directory is an
    executable called Hyperrecover.exe but it isn't documented anywhere.
    Does anyone out there have a clue? Thanks for your help!

  2. Re: Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller

    wrote
    > We run Server 2003 on a Proliant DL320 G2

    Good

    > with integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID controller.

    Ouch!

    > Driver version 2.5.2006.613 is installed along
    > with HP Proliant Integrated ATA Raid Management Utility version
    > 2.5.32.7.

    Don't care. Use the LATEST firmware and drivers for everything.

    > It is configured as RAID 1. The HP Management Homepage shows
    > its status,

    Hmm

    > but provides no management utilities.

    Indeed.

    > The Spy Service tray
    > icon has options to stop the service or delete the log file, but
    > nothing else. I see no way to read the log file or actually run
    > management utilities, such as a drive consistency check, on the array
    > from within the operating system. The only management possible is
    > through the BIOS configuration program. Is there no way to read the log
    > file and no actual management possible from within the OS or am I
    > missing some components? In the megaraid program directory is an
    > executable called Hyperrecover.exe but it isn't documented anywhere.
    > Does anyone out there have a clue? Thanks for your help!

    SATA is low cost, low reliability, no big deal when it screws up. SATA RAID
    is a bit of an oxymoron - like what's the point of having redundancy using a
    technology that can't report or detect pre-failures, is not suitable for
    heavy usage, and is generally not recommended for production in anything
    other than a micro-business environment. (DL = rack server = not
    micro-business => SATA cannot be production => we don't care much)

    Update the firmware, and apply the latest Proliant Support Pack (7.60)
    http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24184.html

  3. Re: Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller

    Jez T wrote:
    > wrote
    > > We run Server 2003 on a Proliant DL320 G2

    > Good
    >
    > > with integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID controller.

    > Ouch!
    >
    > > Driver version 2.5.2006.613 is installed along
    > > with HP Proliant Integrated ATA Raid Management Utility version
    > > 2.5.32.7.

    > Don't care. Use the LATEST firmware and drivers for everything.
    >
    > > It is configured as RAID 1. The HP Management Homepage shows
    > > its status,

    > Hmm
    >
    > > but provides no management utilities.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > > The Spy Service tray
    > > icon has options to stop the service or delete the log file, but
    > > nothing else. I see no way to read the log file or actually run
    > > management utilities, such as a drive consistency check, on the array
    > > from within the operating system. The only management possible is
    > > through the BIOS configuration program. Is there no way to read the log
    > > file and no actual management possible from within the OS or am I
    > > missing some components? In the megaraid program directory is an
    > > executable called Hyperrecover.exe but it isn't documented anywhere.
    > > Does anyone out there have a clue? Thanks for your help!

    > SATA is low cost, low reliability, no big deal when it screws up. SATA RAID
    > is a bit of an oxymoron - like what's the point of having redundancy using a
    > technology that can't report or detect pre-failures, is not suitable for
    > heavy usage, and is generally not recommended for production in anything
    > other than a micro-business environment. (DL = rack server = not
    > micro-business => SATA cannot be production => we don't care much)
    >
    > Update the firmware, and apply the latest Proliant Support Pack (7.60)
    > http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24184.html

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it. In the summer when I did
    firmware and support packs it listed similar contents to this one, but
    made no difference -- there was still no management component. (The HP
    support person I spoke with about it thought there was no management
    capability at all.) Makes you wonder what the "management utility" is
    that's in the support pack. I don't know what the owner had in mind
    when it was purchased or what HP had in mind when they made the product
    -- probably low cost. I certainly prefer the SCSI RAID arrays on our
    Dell servers, and the Dell management software. (Not that it makes any
    difference, but the Proliant is ultra ide ata 100, not SATA.)
    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller

    wrote

    > still no management component. (The HP
    > support person I spoke with about it thought there was no management
    > capability at all.) Makes you wonder what the "management utility" is
    > that's in the support pack.

    HP ProLiant Integrated ATA RAID Management Utility for Windows
    version 2.5.32.7 C (13 Apr 06)
    http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23404.html
    That's all you've got as a management utility (I think you found that...)

    > I don't know what the owner had in mind
    > when it was purchased or what HP had in mind when they made the product
    > -- probably low cost.

    Definately.

    > I certainly prefer the SCSI RAID arrays on our
    > Dell servers, and the Dell management software.

    HP SCSI RAID technology is a LOT easier to manage than Dell. Mainly due to a
    consistency with the Smart Array controllers and the Management software
    that goes back 10 years.

  5. Re: Proliant DL320: Managing Megaraid IDE RAID controller

    Jez T wrote:
    > wrote
    > >
    > > still no management component. (The HP
    > > support person I spoke with about it thought there was no management
    > > capability at all.) Makes you wonder what the "management utility" is
    > > that's in the support pack.

    > HP ProLiant Integrated ATA RAID Management Utility for Windows
    > version 2.5.32.7 C (13 Apr 06)
    > http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23404.html
    > That's all you've got as a management utility (I think you found that...)

    Yes, that's the one that's installed now. Nearly useless.

    > > I don't know what the owner had in mind
    > > when it was purchased or what HP had in mind when they made the product
    > > -- probably low cost.

    > Definately.
    >
    > > I certainly prefer the SCSI RAID arrays on our
    > > Dell servers, and the Dell management software.

    > HP SCSI RAID technology is a LOT easier to manage than Dell. Mainly due to a
    > consistency with the Smart Array controllers and the Management software
    > that goes back 10 years.

    I haven't run the HP SCSI array management. You make a good point --
    having a lot of history with an application is really valuable. Thanks
    for your suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread