Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ?? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ?? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi. Does anyone know if the various speed CPU modules are interchangeable between 800CS/CT machines, to facilitate upgrading? Are there any supply-voltage considerations ie. could the 166MMX module be destroyed if fitted into an early 800? TIA for any info ...

  1. Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ??

    Hi.
    Does anyone know if the various speed CPU modules are interchangeable
    between 800CS/CT machines, to facilitate upgrading?
    Are there any supply-voltage considerations ie. could the 166MMX module
    be destroyed if fitted into an early 800?

    TIA for any info - Mark.

  2. Re: Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ??

    crumpton69@googlemail.com wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the various speed CPU modules are interchangeable
    > between 800CS/CT machines, to facilitate upgrading?

    IIRC these machines used MMC-1 CPU modules. (About the size of a
    playing card, and they have two connectors on the bottom that look
    rather like miniature Centronics connectors. There is a very
    similar-looking but totally incompatible MMC-2 card which has a single
    connector with several rows of pins).

    I think you can go up to 266MHz Pentium MMX on this machine. The
    regulator is on the CPU card, so there is no need to futz with settings
    on the mainboard.

  3. Re: Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ??

    zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote:

    > IIRC these machines used MMC-1 CPU modules. (About the size of a
    > playing card, and they have two connectors on the bottom that look
    > rather like miniature Centronics connectors.

    Really?
    Can anyone confirm this... would be nice, but somehow I imagined the
    OB800 would use proprietary modules!

    > I think you can go up to 266MHz Pentium MMX on this machine. The
    > regulator is on the CPU card, so there is no need to futz with settings
    > on the mainboard.

    That's good news about the voltage reg.
    Has anyone out there actually upgraded to above a 166MMX ??
    If so, then *please* share! :-)

    - Mark.

  4. Re: Omnibook 800 - can CPU modules be swapped 100-133-166MMX ??

    crumpton69@googlemail.com wrote:

    > > IIRC these machines used MMC-1 CPU modules. (About the size of a

    > Really?
    > Can anyone confirm this... would be nice, but somehow I imagined the
    > OB800 would use proprietary modules!

    Open it. Then you'll be sure. I had a few old Omnibooks and I think
    800CS and 800CT models amongst them. Looks like the fastest speed
    available was 400MHz. But for reasons I forget - BIOS maybe - these
    machines didn't run with anything faster than 200-and-something. 266 I
    believe.

    Here are some pictures:

    > Has anyone out there actually upgraded to above a 166MMX ??

    The units we had were 233s.

+ Reply to Thread