HP & Seagate Hard Drive Warranty - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP & Seagate Hard Drive Warranty - Hewlett Packard ; Hi Perhaps someone can assists with this... I am in South Africa, I have an HP nx7010 notebook that is 2 years old. Last week the hard drive died... click of death while listening to mp3s. Took it into a ...

  1. HP & Seagate Hard Drive Warranty

    Hi

    Perhaps someone can assists with this...

    I am in South Africa, I have an HP nx7010 notebook that is 2 years old.
    Last week the hard drive died... click of death while listening to
    mp3s. Took it into a local repair shop, replaced it with new hard
    drive.

    New hard drive also a Seagate. Am informed that Seagate offers a 5 year
    warranty on all hard drives. The drive that died is also a Seagate...

    Now perhaps someone can advise me as to why HP only warranty its
    Seagate drives for 1 year, yet the manufacturer offers a 5 year
    warranty?

    I have tried contacting both Seagate (Storegate Africa) and HP South
    Africa, but have had nothing but a run around! HP want the entire
    notebook booked into their repair agents (ICSS) BEFORE anything can be
    done about the failed drive. Storegate Africa insists that I go through
    HP.

    What can I do to get some information regarding the warranty on HP
    Seagate hard drives?

    Drive Model: ST94019A
    Serial Number: 3KW2JY9E
    PN: 9Y1422-031
    HP: 356014-002

    Also, technician at repair shop pointed out that the Seagate drives
    have a small "breather" hole that must not be covered... yet on the HP
    nx7010 hard drive bracket, no provision is made for this and this hole
    is completely covered in the bracket. I was shown how IBM's have a hole
    cut into theirs to facilitate this. Would covering the hole with the HP
    bracket affect the new hard drive just replaced?

    Any thoughts welcomed.

  2. Re: HP & Seagate Hard Drive Warranty

    Seagate will not honor its own warranty for any drive sold as part of a computer
    system. Seagate and others sell parts to name-brand companies at deep
    discounts in return for the name-brand company taking on full warranty
    responsibility. If the warranty from HP has expired, you are out of luck.
    There really is nothing you can do about this except back up the contents of
    your hard drive regularly... Ben Myers

    On 25 Nov 2006 00:49:39 -0800, "robin" wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Perhaps someone can assists with this...
    >
    >I am in South Africa, I have an HP nx7010 notebook that is 2 years old.
    >Last week the hard drive died... click of death while listening to
    >mp3s. Took it into a local repair shop, replaced it with new hard
    >drive.
    >
    >New hard drive also a Seagate. Am informed that Seagate offers a 5 year
    >warranty on all hard drives. The drive that died is also a Seagate...
    >
    >Now perhaps someone can advise me as to why HP only warranty its
    >Seagate drives for 1 year, yet the manufacturer offers a 5 year
    >warranty?
    >
    >I have tried contacting both Seagate (Storegate Africa) and HP South
    >Africa, but have had nothing but a run around! HP want the entire
    >notebook booked into their repair agents (ICSS) BEFORE anything can be
    >done about the failed drive. Storegate Africa insists that I go through
    >HP.
    >
    >What can I do to get some information regarding the warranty on HP
    >Seagate hard drives?
    >
    >Drive Model: ST94019A
    >Serial Number: 3KW2JY9E
    >PN: 9Y1422-031
    >HP: 356014-002
    >
    >Also, technician at repair shop pointed out that the Seagate drives
    >have a small "breather" hole that must not be covered... yet on the HP
    >nx7010 hard drive bracket, no provision is made for this and this hole
    >is completely covered in the bracket. I was shown how IBM's have a hole
    >cut into theirs to facilitate this. Would covering the hole with the HP
    >bracket affect the new hard drive just replaced?
    >
    >Any thoughts welcomed.

+ Reply to Thread