The selling of Itanium. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on The selling of Itanium. - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, I am just getting it off my chest. HP is stupid with regard to the selling of Itaniium machines. I don't need hand holding and the additional costs of being made to go through a reseller with regard ...

  1. The selling of Itanium.

    Hi all,

    I am just getting it off my chest.

    HP is stupid with regard to the selling of Itaniium machines.
    I don't need hand holding and the additional costs of
    being made to go through a reseller with regard to getting
    an Itanium computer. At the moment, I can't just order an
    Itanium computer over the Internet from HP's website and
    have them ship it to my door for me to use and abuse. I
    am required to go to a reseller which from a manufacturing
    standpoint increases my cost. Please let me order an
    RX1620 or RX2620 over the Interenet and put the following
    in it:

    1U rack mount case or midtower if it is less expensive
    2 cpu socket motherboard
    a flashable bios that can be upgraded to fix bugs
    the least expensive Itanium 2 dual core chip
    256M of ram
    the least expensive IDE/SATA hard drive in it
    a dvd-rom reader for loading software
    video on board
    4 usb ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse, 2 left over)
    2 firewire ports
    1 1000base T port
    1 mic port
    1 sound in port
    1 spearker port

    and sell it for $999 plus shipping and tax.

    Design it so that the beginning cost is low but if the customer
    wants to upgrade it to fast cpu'.s, lots of fast hd's, and a
    fast video card, he/she can.

    What prevents HP from doing this?

    Well, at least I feel better.

    later,
    charles.......

  2. Re: The selling of Itanium.

    "***** charles" wrote

    > HP is stupid with regard to the selling of Itaniium machines.

    No they're not. Most Itaniums get purchased with a juicy support contract to
    go with them.

    > I don't need hand holding and the additional costs of
    > being made to go through a reseller with regard to getting
    > an Itanium computer.

    Itanium is NOT value. => resaler with added value.

    > At the moment, I can't just order an

    > the least expensive IDE/SATA hard drive in it

    WTF???

    > if the customer
    > wants to upgrade it to fast cpu'.s, lots of fast hd's, and a
    > fast video card, he/she can.

    Order their own parts. HP make complete systems, not shells that you go and
    build up into something else. If you want to do that, buy your own
    processor/systemboard/etc and assemble you own machine. HP do NOT supply to
    this market - they supply to a corporate market where people buy complete
    systems and use them for what they have been designed to be used (corporate
    computing with support contracts)

    > What prevents HP from doing this?

    Profit.

  3. Re: The selling of Itanium.

    * ***** charles:

    > I am just getting it off my chest.
    >
    > HP is stupid with regard to the selling of Itaniium machines.
    > I don't need hand holding and the additional costs of
    > being made to go through a reseller with regard to getting
    > an Itanium computer. At the moment, I can't just order an
    > Itanium computer over the Internet from HP's website and
    > have them ship it to my door for me to use and abuse. I
    > am required to go to a reseller which from a manufacturing
    > standpoint increases my cost. Please let me order an
    > RX1620 or RX2620 over the Interenet and put the following
    > in it:
    >
    > 1U rack mount case or midtower if it is less expensive
    > 2 cpu socket motherboard
    > a flashable bios that can be upgraded to fix bugs

    The firmware (Itanium doesn't use a BIOS!) of every Itanium machine is
    upgradeable, so what?

    > the least expensive Itanium 2 dual core chip
    > 256M of ram
    > the least expensive IDE/SATA hard drive in it

    For a server?

    > a dvd-rom reader for loading software
    > video on board
    > 4 usb ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse, 2 left over)
    > 2 firewire ports
    > 1 1000base T port
    > 1 mic port
    > 1 sound in port
    > 1 spearker port
    >
    > and sell it for $999 plus shipping and tax.

    What for?

    > Design it so that the beginning cost is low but if the customer
    > wants to upgrade it to fast cpu'.s, lots of fast hd's, and a
    > fast video card, he/she can.

    What you describe is a barebone. HP doesn't sell barebones. HP sells
    complete solutions for business users, not some el-cheapo parts for PC
    kiddies.

    If you want a barebone have a look on the offerings from Supermicro and
    intel. They offer barebone Itanium2 systems that can be fitted with what
    you want. Not that it does make much sense for average users to buy
    Itanium...

    > What prevents HP from doing this?

    The right mind and knowing the business..

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread