HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly - Hewlett Packard ; I had a color (Staples) #23 cartrige in my 712C, and the printer wasn't used for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot weather. When I decided to print something the other day, the color was ...

  1. HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    I had a color (Staples) #23 cartrige in my 712C, and the printer wasn't used
    for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot weather. When I
    decided to print something the other day, the color was bad. I then got a HP
    #23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas what the problem might be?

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    --
    "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"

    Web Page:

  2. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    "W. Watson" wrote:
    >I had a color (Staples) #23 cartrige in my 712C, and the printer wasn't used
    >for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot weather. When I
    >decided to print something the other day, the color was bad. I then got a HP
    >#23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas what the problem might be?
    >

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >--
    > "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    > looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    > -- Old political saying
    >
    > Web Page:

    If both cartridges have identical problems (in other words exhibit exactly the
    same defects), then you should consider celaning the contacts on the back of
    the cartridges with a soft damp cloth. If the defects are differebt then you
    probably have two bad cartridges. In this case the HP cartridge can probably be
    replaced under warranty.
    Tony
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

  3. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    Tony wrote:
    > "W. Watson" wrote:
    >
    >>I had a color (Staples) #23 cartrige in my 712C, and the printer wasn't used
    >>for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot weather. When I
    >>decided to print something the other day, the color was bad. I then got a HP
    >>#23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas what the problem might be?
    >>

    >> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    >> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    >> Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >>--
    >> "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    >> looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    >> -- Old political saying
    >>
    >> Web Page:

    > If both cartridges have identical problems (in other words exhibit exactly the
    > same defects), then you should consider celaning the contacts on the back of
    > the cartridges with a soft damp cloth. If the defects are differebt then you
    > probably have two bad cartridges. In this case the HP cartridge can probably be
    > replaced under warranty.
    > Tony
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    :-) At the prices they charge, it should be impossible to get a bad
    cartridge.

  4. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    news:q0P7h.595$ql2.140@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >I had a color (Staples) #23 cartridge in my 712C, and the printer
    >wasn't used for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot
    >weather. When I decided to print something the other day, the color was
    >bad. I then got a HP #23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas what
    >the problem might be?

    Please be more specific on the nature of "the color was bad". Try
    printing a rudimentary nozzle diagnostic as shown at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...=bpd07098#N846.
    This should print a small nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and
    yellow.

    Are one or more of the colors missing completely? If so you may have an
    old cartridge. Check the warranty date as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bua02014.
    If the cartridge is beyond it two year warranty replace it with a fresh
    cartridge which should fix your problem. If the cartridge is in
    warranty then contact your dealer or HP for a warranty replacement.
    When buying new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the
    package. I would look for a cartridge with at least six months
    remaining before the "install by" date, this would have a year of
    remaining warranty.

    If each color prints something but there are regular blocks of missing
    nozzles or regular gaps in the nozzle pattern then clean the contacts as
    shown at:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060.

    If each color prints but there are random missing nozzles then try a
    cleaning cycle from the toolbox.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

  5. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    > news:q0P7h.595$ql2.140@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >
    >> I had a color (Staples) #23 cartridge in my 712C, and the printer
    >> wasn't used for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot
    >> weather. When I decided to print something the other day, the color
    >> was bad. I then got a HP #23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas
    >> what the problem might be?

    > Please be more specific on the nature of "the color was bad". Try
    > printing a rudimentary nozzle diagnostic as shown at
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...=bpd07098#N846.
    > This should print a small nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and
    > yellow.
    >
    > Are one or more of the colors missing completely? If so you may have an
    > old cartridge. Check the warranty date as shown at:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bua02014.
    > If the cartridge is beyond it two year warranty replace it with a fresh
    > cartridge which should fix your problem. If the cartridge is in
    > warranty then contact your dealer or HP for a warranty replacement. When
    > buying new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the package. I
    > would look for a cartridge with at least six months remaining before the
    > "install by" date, this would have a year of remaining warranty.
    >
    > If each color prints something but there are regular blocks of missing
    > nozzles or regular gaps in the nozzle pattern then clean the contacts as
    > shown at:
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060.
    >

    > If each color prints but there are random missing nozzles then try a
    > cleaning cycle from the toolbox.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot. Here's what things looked like.

    I tried printing a picture of the famous Rainbow (rock) Arch in N. AZ. It
    has a blue sky overhead with more sky in the arch way. The arch is red, as
    many of the surrounding rocks. The resulting printed picture is just about
    entirely b/w. (House PC here.)

    I tried a shot of a comet (Swan, a recent visitor). The sky wasted a lot of
    black ink (it's black anyway, but I mistakenly let it print full page), and
    although there was a reasonable amount of blue in the tail it was far from
    perfect. (House PC here.)

    When I started the printer from the garage computer to print a 17 pg b/w
    document, it was pretty erratic. Sometimes it would start several pages in.
    Other times it would start with the first page but in landscape mode--the
    print was fine. I cleaned up the b/w cartridge but never tried it on a doc
    again. It did seem to do a good job afterwards on the printer/PC combo in
    the house with some text. I think b/w is OK.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    --
    "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    -- Old political saying

    Web Page:

  6. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    W. Watson wrote:

    > Bob Headrick wrote:
    >

    >> "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >> news:q0P7h.595$ql2.140@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >>
    >>> I had a color (Staples) #23 cartridge in my 712C, and the printer
    >>> wasn't used for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot
    >>> weather. When I decided to print something the other day, the color
    >>> was bad. I then got a HP #23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas
    >>> what the problem might be?

    >> Please be more specific on the nature of "the color was bad". Try
    >> printing a rudimentary nozzle diagnostic as shown at
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...=bpd07098#N846.
    >> This should print a small nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and
    >> yellow.
    >>
    >> Are one or more of the colors missing completely? If so you may have
    >> an old cartridge. Check the warranty date as shown at:
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bua02014.
    >> If the cartridge is beyond it two year warranty replace it with a
    >> fresh cartridge which should fix your problem. If the cartridge is in
    >> warranty then contact your dealer or HP for a warranty replacement.
    >> When buying new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the
    >> package. I would look for a cartridge with at least six months
    >> remaining before the "install by" date, this would have a year of
    >> remaining warranty.
    >>
    >> If each color prints something but there are regular blocks of missing
    >> nozzles or regular gaps in the nozzle pattern then clean the contacts
    >> as shown at:
    >> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060.
    >>

    >> If each color prints but there are random missing nozzles then try a
    >> cleaning cycle from the toolbox.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
    >>

    > Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot. Here's what things looked like.
    >
    > I tried printing a picture of the famous Rainbow (rock) Arch in N. AZ.
    > It has a blue sky overhead with more sky in the arch way. The arch is
    > red, as many of the surrounding rocks. The resulting printed picture is
    > just about entirely b/w. (House PC here.)
    >
    > I tried a shot of a comet (Swan, a recent visitor). The sky wasted a lot
    > of black ink (it's black anyway, but I mistakenly let it print full
    > page), and although there was a reasonable amount of blue in the tail it
    > was far from perfect. (House PC here.)
    >
    > When I started the printer from the garage computer to print a 17 pg b/w
    > document, it was pretty erratic. Sometimes it would start several pages
    > in. Other times it would start with the first page but in landscape
    > mode--the print was fine. I cleaned up the b/w cartridge but never tried
    > it on a doc again. It did seem to do a good job afterwards on the
    > printer/PC combo in the house with some text. I think b/w is OK.
    >

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    I was mistaken about the printer. It's an 812c. Why I though otherwise, I
    can only guess. I don't see an 812c or 812 listed under the internal test list.

    I tried the "press resume four times" test and got nothing. I then tried to
    print a rtf doc from word pad that uses color text. I put the words red,
    yellow and blue in their respective colors. Blue didn't print, and both of
    the other two were in ...... blue!

    My wife tells me, she has a 722c, I can test it by going to the control
    panel and find a test among the printer icon material.

    I'll now proceed with that test

    I don't think we cleaned the print heads inside the printer, just on the
    cartridge.

    Back in an hour or two.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    --
    "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    -- Old political saying

    Web Page:

  7. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    Well, that was interesting. I tried the Win2K printer test and it produced a
    b/w page of data about the printer. Nothing particuarly interesting, and
    certainly no test of color. The b/w is fine.

    I then tried MS Paint and made 3 rectangles of blue, red and green. I added
    some text in b/w. Only the text appeared. I tried cleaning the print area
    inside the printer, but it didn't help.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    --
    "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    -- Old political saying

    Web Page:

  8. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    I found the test pages my wife had told me about. Options are to align the
    printer and clean the heads. I tried both and ended up with just b/w output.

    I then took the color cartridge, #23, out of her machine, and tried it. and
    it printed my colored rectangle sheet as it should. So the problem is the
    cartridge, and I have no idea why the HP cartridge I bought at Staples, and
    HP #23, didn't work.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    --
    "The only person that you can trust is someone who
    looks you in the eye, and says, 'I'm not voting for you.'"
    -- Old political saying

    Web Page:

  9. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    W. Watson wrote:
    > I had a color (Staples) #23 cartrige in my 712C, and the printer wasn't
    > used for 9 months. It was in the garage during cold and hot weather.
    > When I decided to print something the other day, the color was bad. I
    > then got a HP #23, and put it in. Same problem. Any ideas what the
    > problem might be?
    >

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Turf the friggin' thing in the gabage. it was crap when you bought it
    and it definitely hasn't improved with age.
    Useless piece of junk isn't even heavy enough to use as a doorstop.

  10. Re: HP Deskjet 712C Not Printing Properly

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    news:gcR8h.1934$1s6.431@newsread2.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
    >I found the test pages my wife had told me about. Options are to align
    >the printer and clean the heads. I tried both and ended up with just
    >b/w output.
    >
    > I then took the color cartridge, #23, out of her machine, and tried
    > it. and it printed my colored rectangle sheet as it should. So the
    > problem is the cartridge, and I have no idea why the HP cartridge I
    > bought at Staples, and HP #23, didn't work.

    The most common reason for the #23 cartridge to not print any colors is
    that the blue nozzle tape has not been removed. Check the blue tape and
    remove it if it is still attached. [I must confess I have put a
    cartridge into the printer with the tape on and not been able to print
    :-)]

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

+ Reply to Thread