nc6120 won't hibernate - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on nc6120 won't hibernate - Hewlett Packard ; I have an nc6120 running XP Pro that won't hibernate and furthermore has no option to hibernate (on either the Start button or the shutdown dialog.) I have applied all available updates from HP and Microsoft and have scoured MS's ...

  1. nc6120 won't hibernate

    I have an nc6120 running XP Pro that won't hibernate and furthermore has no option to hibernate (on either the Start button or the shutdown dialog.)

    I have applied all available updates from HP and Microsoft and have scoured MS's TechNet for ideas. I have called HP support and they have suggested that I re-install the OS. I have also talked to two HP ASE's that I work with, both of whom suggested I re-install the OS.

    Before I jump into re-installing my OS, has anyone else got any other ideas as to do or what could be wrong?

    Cheers,
    -C

    C.J. Steele
    http://intertrusion.com

  2. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    C.J. Steele wrote:
    > I have an nc6120 running XP Pro that won't hibernate and furthermore
    > has no option to hibernate (on either the Start button or the shutdown
    > dialog.)

    Checking for the obvious:

    Have you *enabled* hibernation? I.e. start -> Control Panel -> Power
    Options -> Hibernate tab -> tick "Enable hibernation -> OK.

    BTW, I also have no "option" in the start menu(s) and in the "Turn Off
    Computer" dialog, you will only see the hibernate function
    (Shift+Stand_By) if you *hover* your 'mouse' over the "Stand By" button
    ("... To hibernate instead, hold down the Shift key.", i.e. there is
    no *button* (or some such) which is labeled "hibernate" (or some such).

    > I have applied all available updates from HP and Microsoft and have
    > scoured MS's TechNet for ideas. I have called HP support and they
    > have suggested that I re-install the OS. I have also talked to two HP
    > ASE's that I work with, both of whom suggested I re-install the OS.
    >
    > Before I jump into re-installing my OS, has anyone else got any other
    > ideas as to do or what could be wrong?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -C
    >
    > C.J. Steele
    > http://intertrusion.com

  3. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    Frank,

    Definitely. I went through all of this with the HP goon I spoke with
    as well as the HP ASE's I work with. Everyone made the same basic
    recommendation... of course I'd already checked that. Oddly, there
    wasn't even a hibernate tab in the power management control panel app.,
    not even one that was grayed out. I thought that most odd as did
    everyone else I've consulted about the problem.

    I did reinstall earlier today and that seems to have fixed it.

    -C

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > C.J. Steele wrote:
    > > I have an nc6120 running XP Pro that won't hibernate and furthermore
    > > has no option to hibernate (on either the Start button or the shutdown
    > > dialog.)

    > Checking for the obvious:
    >
    > Have you *enabled* hibernation? I.e. start -> Control Panel -> Power
    > Options -> Hibernate tab -> tick "Enable hibernation -> OK.
    >
    > BTW, I also have no "option" in the start menu(s) and in the "Turn Off
    > Computer" dialog, you will only see the hibernate function
    > (Shift+Stand_By) if you *hover* your 'mouse' over the "Stand By" button
    > ("... To hibernate instead, hold down the Shift key.", i.e. there is
    > no *button* (or some such) which is labeled "hibernate" (or some such).
    >
    > > I have applied all available updates from HP and Microsoft and have
    > > scoured MS's TechNet for ideas. I have called HP support and they
    > > have suggested that I re-install the OS. I have also talked to two HP
    > > ASE's that I work with, both of whom suggested I re-install the OS.
    > >
    > > Before I jump into re-installing my OS, has anyone else got any other
    > > ideas as to do or what could be wrong?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > -C
    > >
    > > C.J. Steele
    > > http://intertrusion.com

  4. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    C.J. Steele wrote:
    > Frank,
    >
    > Definitely. I went through all of this with the HP goon I spoke with
    > as well as the HP ASE's I work with. Everyone made the same basic
    > recommendation... of course I'd already checked that. Oddly, there
    > wasn't even a hibernate tab in the power management control panel app.,
    > not even one that was grayed out. I thought that most odd as did
    > everyone else I've consulted about the problem.

    Others are probably more knowledgeable in this area than I, but if
    there was no Hibernate *tab* (under Power Options), then that was
    possibly caused by not having a hibernate *file* (normally
    C:\hiberfil.sys, System and Hidden, i.e. normally *not* visible in
    Windows Explorer, etc.).

    > I did reinstall earlier today and that seems to have fixed it.

    If it ever re-occurs, checking the hibernate file might shed some
    light.

    > -C
    >
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > > C.J. Steele wrote:
    > > > I have an nc6120 running XP Pro that won't hibernate and furthermore
    > > > has no option to hibernate (on either the Start button or the shutdown
    > > > dialog.)

    > > Checking for the obvious:
    > >
    > > Have you *enabled* hibernation? I.e. start -> Control Panel -> Power
    > > Options -> Hibernate tab -> tick "Enable hibernation -> OK.
    > >
    > > BTW, I also have no "option" in the start menu(s) and in the "Turn Off
    > > Computer" dialog, you will only see the hibernate function
    > > (Shift+Stand_By) if you *hover* your 'mouse' over the "Stand By" button
    > > ("... To hibernate instead, hold down the Shift key.", i.e. there is
    > > no *button* (or some such) which is labeled "hibernate" (or some such).
    > >
    > > > I have applied all available updates from HP and Microsoft and have
    > > > scoured MS's TechNet for ideas. I have called HP support and they
    > > > have suggested that I re-install the OS. I have also talked to two HP
    > > > ASE's that I work with, both of whom suggested I re-install the OS.
    > > >
    > > > Before I jump into re-installing my OS, has anyone else got any other
    > > > ideas as to do or what could be wrong?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > -C
    > > >
    > > > C.J. Steele
    > > > http://intertrusion.com

  5. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    Frank,

    I'm not sure about that -- my hibernate is working right now (and I
    have the associated tab) and I haven't got a hiber*.sys anywhere on my
    system. Is it possible you've got the name wrong?

    -C

    On Nov 18, 7:51 am, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > C.J. Steele wrote:
    > > Frank,

    > > Definitely. I went through all of this with the HP goon I spoke with
    > > as well as the HP ASE's I work with. Everyone made the same basic
    > > recommendation... of course I'd already checked that. Oddly, there
    > > wasn't even a hibernate tab in the power management control panel app.,
    > > not even one that was grayed out. I thought that most odd as did
    > > everyone else I've consulted about the problem. Others are probably more knowledgeable in this area than I, but if

    > there was no Hibernate *tab* (under Power Options), then that was
    > possibly caused by not having a hibernate *file* (normally
    > C:\hiberfil.sys, System and Hidden, i.e. normally *not* visible in
    > Windows Explorer, etc.).
    >
    > > I did reinstall earlier today and that seems to have fixed it. If it ever re-occurs, checking the hibernate file might shed some

    > light.
    >
    > > -C

    > > Frank Slootweg wrote:

    > > > Checking for the obvious:

    > > > Have you *enabled* hibernation? I.e. start -> Control Panel -> Power
    > > > Options -> Hibernate tab -> tick "Enable hibernation -> OK.

    > > > BTW, I also have no "option" in the start menu(s) and in the "Turn Off
    > > > Computer" dialog, you will only see the hibernate function
    > > > (Shift+Stand_By) if you *hover* your 'mouse' over the "Stand By" button
    > > > ("... To hibernate instead, hold down the Shift key.", i.e. there is
    > > > no *button* (or some such) which is labeled "hibernate" (or some such).

  6. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    It's a hidden system file... Ben Myers

    On 18 Nov 2006 18:32:39 -0800, "C.J. Steele" wrote:

    >Frank,
    >
    >I'm not sure about that -- my hibernate is working right now (and I
    >have the associated tab) and I haven't got a hiber*.sys anywhere on my
    >system. Is it possible you've got the name wrong?
    >
    >-C
    >
    >On Nov 18, 7:51 am, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >> C.J. Steele wrote:
    >> > Frank,

    >> > Definitely. I went through all of this with the HP goon I spoke with
    >> > as well as the HP ASE's I work with. Everyone made the same basic
    >> > recommendation... of course I'd already checked that. Oddly, there
    >> > wasn't even a hibernate tab in the power management control panel app.,
    >> > not even one that was grayed out. I thought that most odd as did
    >> > everyone else I've consulted about the problem. Others are probably more knowledgeable in this area than I, but if

    >> there was no Hibernate *tab* (under Power Options), then that was
    >> possibly caused by not having a hibernate *file* (normally
    >> C:\hiberfil.sys, System and Hidden, i.e. normally *not* visible in
    >> Windows Explorer, etc.).
    >>
    >> > I did reinstall earlier today and that seems to have fixed it. If it ever re-occurs, checking the hibernate file might shed some

    >> light.
    >>
    >> > -C

  7. Re: nc6120 won't hibernate

    C.J. Steele wrote:
    > Frank,
    >
    > I'm not sure about that -- my hibernate is working right now (and I
    > have the associated tab) and I haven't got a hiber*.sys anywhere on my
    > system. Is it possible you've got the name wrong?

    As I and Ben said, it's a Hidden System file, i.e. normally *not*
    visible. You could set the right Advanced settings in Windows Explorer,
    but it's probably easier to do this in a Command Prompt window:

    dir /ash C:\*.sys

    which in my case says (amongst other files):

+ Reply to Thread