xw6200 CPU temp concerns - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on xw6200 CPU temp concerns - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I recently bought a refurbished xw6200 workstation from HP and have been very pleased with the quality and quietness of it. It only came with one 2.8GHz 1MB xeon which I've since upgraded to dual 3.6 1MB's. I know ...

  1. xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Hi,
    I recently bought a refurbished xw6200 workstation from HP and have
    been very pleased with the quality and quietness of it. It only came
    with one 2.8GHz 1MB xeon which I've since upgraded to dual 3.6 1MB's. I
    know BIOS temp readings are not that accurate, but the HP BIOS offers
    no provisions for monitoring the temps so I loaded up Speedfan to at
    least give me some idea of what they were.
    What disturbs me is that one CPU (0 if it matters) seems to peak at
    temps sometimes around 51C and this is under no real load. Also the fan
    on this CPU has never dropped below 1600RPM while the cooler running
    CPU can get away with dropping down as low as 600RPM.
    Since I'm stuck with the Foxconn heatsinks for this particular
    board, I wanted to ask some other 6200 users about their temps. Even
    the cooler running CPU stays around 44-46C which just seems too hot to
    me. The CPU's were seated with great care, Artic Silver 5 and this is
    certainly not my first time around the block with dual xeons, but don't
    these temps seem unusually high or am I just being paranoid? If so, do
    you think that replacing the Foxconn heatsink fans with some quiet but
    higher CFM fans might help? Any advice appreciated.
    TIA,
    Dave

  2. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    * davec63367@yahoo.com:

    > I recently bought a refurbished xw6200 workstation from HP and have
    > been very pleased with the quality and quietness of it. It only came
    > with one 2.8GHz 1MB xeon which I've since upgraded to dual 3.6 1MB's. I
    > know BIOS temp readings are not that accurate, but the HP BIOS offers
    > no provisions for monitoring the temps so I loaded up Speedfan to at
    > least give me some idea of what they were.
    > What disturbs me is that one CPU (0 if it matters) seems to peak at
    > temps sometimes around 51C and this is under no real load. Also the fan
    > on this CPU has never dropped below 1600RPM while the cooler running
    > CPU can get away with dropping down as low as 600RPM.
    > Since I'm stuck with the Foxconn heatsinks for this particular
    > board, I wanted to ask some other 6200 users about their temps. Even
    > the cooler running CPU stays around 44-46C which just seems too hot to
    > me.

    My (recently replaced) home workstation was a xw8200 with two XEON
    3.6GHz/2MB cpus, and I can tell you that these babies run _really_ hot,
    even in idle. What you experience is normal with the old Netburst-based
    XEONs, but besides the heat and wasted energy it's not really a problem...

    > The CPU's were seated with great care, Artic Silver 5 and this is
    > certainly not my first time around the block with dual xeons, but don't
    > these temps seem unusually high or am I just being paranoid? If so, do
    > you think that replacing the Foxconn heatsink fans with some quiet but
    > higher CFM fans might help?

    Does your machine still have warranty? If yes then I'd avoid replacing
    the heatsinks with something that doesn't have a HP P/N. Especially
    since these heatsinks are not bad at all...

    Benjamin

  3. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * davec63367@yahoo.com:

    >snip<

    > My (recently replaced) home workstation was a xw8200 with two XEON
    > 3.6GHz/2MB cpus, and I can tell you that these babies run _really_ hot,
    > even in idle. What you experience is normal with the old Netburst-based
    > XEONs, but besides the heat and wasted energy it's not really a problem...

    Thank you Benjamin, I was fairly certain that this was simply the
    nature of the beast. Lot of watts, lot of heat.

    > Does your machine still have warranty? If yes then I'd avoid replacing
    > the heatsinks with something that doesn't have a HP P/N. Especially
    > since these heatsinks are not bad at all...
    >
    > Benjamin

    Yes, I still have most of my one year tech support left but frankly
    the last tech I talked to about this really wasn't very knowledgable
    about what I was asking. I guess I wasn't too clear in my original
    post. I know I can't replace the heatsinks themselves, the Foxconn's
    are the only ones that will fit the hole spacing on the board. What I
    was thinking was to just replace the fans on the heatsinks with some
    higher CFM fans. Shouldn't be a problem, I believe they are just
    standard 70mm x 15mm fans. I would go for the highest RPM and lowest
    dba of course. Maybe I should just go ahead and do a 24 hour torture
    test on them and see how hot they actually get first.

    Thanks again,
    Dave

  4. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Can you fry an egg on the chassis? If so, you have a problem... Ben Myers

    On 16 Nov 2006 19:55:21 -0800, davec63367@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> * davec63367@yahoo.com:

    >>snip<

    >> My (recently replaced) home workstation was a xw8200 with two XEON
    >> 3.6GHz/2MB cpus, and I can tell you that these babies run _really_ hot,
    >> even in idle. What you experience is normal with the old Netburst-based
    >> XEONs, but besides the heat and wasted energy it's not really a problem...

    > Thank you Benjamin, I was fairly certain that this was simply the
    >nature of the beast. Lot of watts, lot of heat.
    >

    >> Does your machine still have warranty? If yes then I'd avoid replacing
    >> the heatsinks with something that doesn't have a HP P/N. Especially
    >> since these heatsinks are not bad at all...
    >>
    >> Benjamin

    > Yes, I still have most of my one year tech support left but frankly
    >the last tech I talked to about this really wasn't very knowledgable
    >about what I was asking. I guess I wasn't too clear in my original
    >post. I know I can't replace the heatsinks themselves, the Foxconn's
    >are the only ones that will fit the hole spacing on the board. What I
    >was thinking was to just replace the fans on the heatsinks with some
    >higher CFM fans. Shouldn't be a problem, I believe they are just
    >standard 70mm x 15mm fans. I would go for the highest RPM and lowest
    >dba of course. Maybe I should just go ahead and do a 24 hour torture
    >test on them and see how hot they actually get first.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Dave

  5. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Can you fry an egg on the chassis? If so, you have a problem... Ben Myers

    Lol, no it's not quite hot enough to do any cooking yet! Actually
    the chassis temp stays around 25C, the airflow is very good and yet it
    is a very *quiet* machine. I love quiet. I'll post again when I can
    break out the wok and avoid those distracting dinner breaks.
    Dave

  6. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    * davec63367@yahoo.com:

    > Yes, I still have most of my one year tech support left but frankly
    > the last tech I talked to about this really wasn't very knowledgable
    > about what I was asking. I guess I wasn't too clear in my original
    > post. I know I can't replace the heatsinks themselves, the Foxconn's
    > are the only ones that will fit the hole spacing on the board.

    Right. But there are heatsinks that fit...

    > What I
    > was thinking was to just replace the fans on the heatsinks with some
    > higher CFM fans. Shouldn't be a problem, I believe they are just
    > standard 70mm x 15mm fans.

    Be careful, these are 4pin fans that fit to the on-board thermal
    management. On these machines the fans are matched to the thermal
    controller. By fiddling around with it you are very likely to end up
    with either worse colling and/or more noisy system.

    I really think you're trying to fix something that ain't broken...

    Benjamin

  7. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > snip<

    > Right. But there are heatsinks that fit...

    Wow, that's news to me. Could you point me in the general direction
    of where I could at least check out the specs on some of these? I
    couldn't google anything in terms of a CPU heatsink/fan replacement. I
    would appreciate it very much.

    > Be careful, these are 4pin fans that fit to the on-board thermal
    > management. On these machines the fans are matched to the thermal
    > controller. By fiddling around with it you are very likely to end up
    > with either worse colling and/or more noisy system.
    >
    > I really think you're trying to fix something that ain't broken...
    >
    > Benjamin

    You're probably right. I'm sure it's more critical on the CPU's
    than the case fans, but I did have to use a homemade shroud with a
    Visualize 92mm fan on the front of the case for awhile because the HP
    part is no longer available from them and the third party vendors
    wanted outrageous prices for the assembly. Finally found one under $40.
    Point being, the homemade job was a three pinner and other than running
    at full throttle constantly the noise difference was barely noticable.
    But I will take your advice and run CPU Burn-in for 24 hours. I don't
    want to fix something that ain't broke. If the temperatures stay below
    say 55C, I'll drop it. You have to understand Benjamin, it's my baby, I
    love it.
    Thanks,
    Dave

  8. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    * davec63367@yahoo.com:

    > Well, I'm here in the US and it consistantly came up on HP's
    > website as "No longer available". Matter of fact, the Foxconn heatsink
    > part no. comes up as "No parts found" and then lists all the models it
    > went into. Go figure.

    Well, some parts are listed in HPs part shop as "no longer available"
    but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not available from HP any more.
    The part shops usually contain parts that are demanded a lot, other HP
    part reseller usually still can get the parts that aren't listed on HPs
    part shop any more.

    > Well thanks again for your advice. I think I'll take it and just
    > leave well enough alone. I'm still going to torture test it this
    > weekend though. Intel specs give a 70C thermal on these puppies and 50
    > seems to be too close to me under no load but I trust your expertise.

    As I said I had (still have it but don't use it anymore) a fully loaded
    xw8200 (2x 3.6GHz XEON/2MB, 16GB DDR2, 4x300GB U320 10k disks, Quadro
    FX4500) which now has been replaced by a xw9300. The 3.6GHz XEONs with
    2MB still run very hot even when they are cooler than the older 1MB
    variants because the 2MB versions do support some power management
    features (EIST). At work we have dozens of xw8200 (and now an incrasing
    number of xw8400) and also several xw6200, and they all run around as
    hot as yours. Most of these machines are running 24hrs/day and under
    full load, and we very rarely have any problems with them (sometimes a
    disk goes bad, sometimes a broken memory module, but that's it
    basically). Very sturdy and extremely reliable machines. No need to
    worry about temperatures.

    Really, I'm quite sure if you make any changes you'll end up regretting
    it...

    > BTW, I was doing some googling on another subject and Itanium came up
    > on one of the HP UX groups. Boy did you take alot of sh*t over that!

    Well, I really like Itanium because it was one of the most powerful
    processors out there, especially in floating point operations. But now
    it's getting a bit long in the run, with intels latest core2-based XEONs
    (5100 dual core and 5300 quad core) being faster than Itanium.

    > Have a good weekend and thanks again,

    You're welcome.

    Benjamin

  9. Re: xw6200 CPU temp concerns

    Hi again,

    Two interesting things came up as I've been googling for any
    modification for excessive heat on the CPU's (well, one of them) in
    this box:

    1.) How the hell did this entire thread go to:
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic210811.html ??? If anywhere,
    it should have gone to "howtoleavethingsalone.com".

    2.) And how come Benjamin and Ben Myers get their names in and I'm
    only "Guest"? I feel so neglected (sniffle, sniffle).

    Seriously, my temp on CPU 0 is outrageous. I'm going over 61C
    within *one minute* of starting CPU Burn-in. I can only conclude that
    if indeed these Foxconn's are the right tool for the job, then my
    installation is at fault. Too much TIM, too little, who knows? I do
    know that if I pull the heatsink off, reseat it and it's still running
    ~15C (at least) hotter than the other, I will be very pissed because
    putting that sink in this machine is a total pain in the ass. I wish I
    could just get the 4-pin fan they use and replace it first, at least to
    try. This fan never varies more than 5 RPM off of 1600 RPM, but I can't
    seem to find one. The much cooler CPU's fan's RPM's are all over the
    place constantly.

    I'll let you all know what works so nobody else has to do this
    (especially over at howtofixcomputers.com, hehe).

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread