Pavilion 505n CPU upgrade? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Pavilion 505n CPU upgrade? - Hewlett Packard ; A friend of mine brought me a 'tired' Pavilion 505n running WinXP-pro. I would like to give her some new life for this system to hold it for another year or two. The only two options I see are replacing ...

  1. Pavilion 505n CPU upgrade?

    A friend of mine brought me a 'tired' Pavilion 505n running WinXP-pro.
    I would like to give her some new life for this system to hold it for
    another year or two. The only two options I see are replacing the
    memory (currently 2 sticks of 256M installed), and the CPU, current the
    478-Celeron FSB400 @ 2.2G.

    The memory will be easy. perhaps drop two stick at 256M or 512M in
    (whatever I have around). The second is more challenging since I don't
    know how 'locked' the motherboard is.

    Looks like a TRIGEM GL VE 2002052 motherboard, with the 845 chipset,
    478-pin socket and a 400FSB. I am told HP locks this motherboard down
    somehow.

    I can still find a Pent-4, 478, 400FSB CPU running at 2.4G
    inexpensively.

    Is this worth it?

  2. Re: Pavilion 505n CPU upgrade?

    Oops. My error. Currently is has two sticks of 128M

  3. Re: Pavilion 505n CPU upgrade?

    You'll get the most bang for the buck by taking the memory up to 512MB or more.
    A 2.4GHz P4 will surely be faster than a 2.2GHz Celeron, but at what price?

    .... Ben Myers

    On 14 Nov 2006 10:09:36 -0800, markharris2000@comcast.net wrote:

    >A friend of mine brought me a 'tired' Pavilion 505n running WinXP-pro.
    >I would like to give her some new life for this system to hold it for
    >another year or two. The only two options I see are replacing the
    >memory (currently 2 sticks of 256M installed), and the CPU, current the
    >478-Celeron FSB400 @ 2.2G.
    >
    >The memory will be easy. perhaps drop two stick at 256M or 512M in
    >(whatever I have around). The second is more challenging since I don't
    >know how 'locked' the motherboard is.
    >
    >Looks like a TRIGEM GL VE 2002052 motherboard, with the 845 chipset,
    >478-pin socket and a 400FSB. I am told HP locks this motherboard down
    >somehow.
    >
    >I can still find a Pent-4, 478, 400FSB CPU running at 2.4G
    >inexpensively.
    >
    >Is this worth it?

+ Reply to Thread