HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem - Hewlett Packard ; HI All, ============================== Note Before: - I am NO computer expert : ) ============================== I have a friends HP 521a that is extremely slow with only the standard 128 MB of RAM that came with it, so I said that ...

  1. HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem

    HI All,

    ==============================
    Note Before: - I am NO computer expert : )
    ==============================

    I have a friends HP 521a that is extremely slow with only the standard
    128 MB of RAM that came with it, so I said that I'd drop in a spare
    SDRAM that I had to help.

    I have spare 256MB and spare 512Mb SDRAM sticks and none of them work
    in this HP 521a, but they work fine in 2 other PCs that I just ripped
    them out of.

    They do not show in BIOS as even installed, the BIOD count just sits at
    128Mb

    I removed the 128MB RAM stick and just left a 256 (and tried a 512MB
    stick) in it, but the PC beeps with a system error beep of no memory
    installed.

    I did a quick Google and found nothing, except that the HP 512a is a
    maximum of 512 only, but short of that, nothing about being picky with
    RAM.

    HP's website states

    RAM (standard) 128 MB SDRAM
    Maximum 512 MB (2x256 MB DIMM)
    Speed 133 MHz Synchronous (runs @ 100 MHz)
    Sockets Two 168-pin DIMMs
    Size 64, 128 and 256 MB DIMMs
    Free DIMM Sockets One
    Pairs Required No
    Type Supported SDRAM, 100/133MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM
    specifications, revision 1.0 compliant

    I don't think it's a "my RAM" issue, as the 256MB stick is a Kingston
    133MHz.

    I was hoping someone had seen or heard of this problem before and had a
    solution or at least a explanation.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem

    The 521a has an Intel 810e motherboard chipset and it may or may not work
    properly with memory sticks made with high density chips. If your 256MB DIMM
    has only 8 chips, the chips are high density. Forget the 512MB DIMM altogether
    in this computer... Ben Myers

    On 7 Nov 2006 02:30:35 -0800, neogeo.au@gmail.com wrote:

    >HI All,
    >
    >==============================
    >Note Before: - I am NO computer expert : )
    >==============================
    >
    >I have a friends HP 521a that is extremely slow with only the standard
    >128 MB of RAM that came with it, so I said that I'd drop in a spare
    >SDRAM that I had to help.
    >
    >I have spare 256MB and spare 512Mb SDRAM sticks and none of them work
    >in this HP 521a, but they work fine in 2 other PCs that I just ripped
    >them out of.
    >
    >They do not show in BIOS as even installed, the BIOD count just sits at
    >128Mb
    >
    >I removed the 128MB RAM stick and just left a 256 (and tried a 512MB
    >stick) in it, but the PC beeps with a system error beep of no memory
    >installed.
    >
    >I did a quick Google and found nothing, except that the HP 512a is a
    >maximum of 512 only, but short of that, nothing about being picky with
    >RAM.
    >
    >HP's website states
    >
    >RAM (standard) 128 MB SDRAM
    >Maximum 512 MB (2x256 MB DIMM)
    >Speed 133 MHz Synchronous (runs @ 100 MHz)
    >Sockets Two 168-pin DIMMs
    >Size 64, 128 and 256 MB DIMMs
    >Free DIMM Sockets One
    >Pairs Required No
    >Type Supported SDRAM, 100/133MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM
    >specifications, revision 1.0 compliant
    >
    >I don't think it's a "my RAM" issue, as the 256MB stick is a Kingston
    >133MHz.
    >
    >I was hoping someone had seen or heard of this problem before and had a
    >solution or at least a explanation.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem

    Nya eta Aing oge sarua jigah kitu masalah na..
    kumaha tah maneh geus apal acan carana cing urang bejaan....
    hatur nuhun terimakasih tanks u

  4. Re: HP Pavilion 521a RAM / Memory Upgrade problem

    Thanks Ben

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > The 521a has an Intel 810e motherboard chipset and it may or may not work
    > properly with memory sticks made with high density chips. If your 256MB DIMM
    > has only 8 chips, the chips are high density. Forget the 512MB DIMM altogether
    > in this computer... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 7 Nov 2006 02:30:35 -0800, neogeo.au@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >HI All,
    > >
    > >==============================
    > >Note Before: - I am NO computer expert : )
    > >==============================
    > >
    > >I have a friends HP 521a that is extremely slow with only the standard
    > >128 MB of RAM that came with it, so I said that I'd drop in a spare
    > >SDRAM that I had to help.
    > >
    > >I have spare 256MB and spare 512Mb SDRAM sticks and none of them work
    > >in this HP 521a, but they work fine in 2 other PCs that I just ripped
    > >them out of.
    > >
    > >They do not show in BIOS as even installed, the BIOD count just sits at
    > >128Mb
    > >
    > >I removed the 128MB RAM stick and just left a 256 (and tried a 512MB
    > >stick) in it, but the PC beeps with a system error beep of no memory
    > >installed.
    > >
    > >I did a quick Google and found nothing, except that the HP 512a is a
    > >maximum of 512 only, but short of that, nothing about being picky with
    > >RAM.
    > >
    > >HP's website states
    > >
    > >RAM (standard) 128 MB SDRAM
    > >Maximum 512 MB (2x256 MB DIMM)
    > >Speed 133 MHz Synchronous (runs @ 100 MHz)
    > >Sockets Two 168-pin DIMMs
    > >Size 64, 128 and 256 MB DIMMs
    > >Free DIMM Sockets One
    > >Pairs Required No
    > >Type Supported SDRAM, 100/133MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM
    > >specifications, revision 1.0 compliant
    > >
    > >I don't think it's a "my RAM" issue, as the 256MB stick is a Kingston
    > >133MHz.
    > >
    > >I was hoping someone had seen or heard of this problem before and had a
    > >solution or at least a explanation.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread