HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard ; "craigm" wrote in message news:xpv4h.32$tt4.244755@news.sisna.com... > Before you click the buy button you should know what you are buying, and > not > assume what you will get. Much of the information for the computers are > available as part ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

  1. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "craigm" wrote in message
    news:xpv4h.32$tt4.244755@news.sisna.com...
    > Before you click the buy button you should know what you are buying, and
    > not
    > assume what you will get. Much of the information for the computers are
    > available as part of the support pages.


    It's kind of HARD to KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE BUYING if HP's web page doesn't TELL
    YOU!!!

    Don't you think?!?



  2. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "craigm" wrote in message
    news:Qdv4h.31$4S3.76876@news.sisna.com...
    > Gonzo wrote:
    > That does not
    >> require me to EXPLAIN my choices to HP or YOU. I am the cusomer customer
    >> and I have a choice. HP seems to want to limit this. Why?
    >>
    >>

    >
    > HP has identified the products they want to sell and support. The majority
    > of the PC market is satisfied with MS Windows. That is the market they
    > sell
    > to.
    >
    > Some models have been sold with Linux preinstalled. (Yours was not one of
    > them.)
    >
    > By selling a PC with no OS, the machine will not function out of the box.
    > By
    > allowing customers to put any OS they choose on the PC they would open
    > themselves to a support nightmare. Imagine trying to do phone support for
    > a
    > PC with a unique software configuration, one that may not be able to work
    > properly.
    >
    > It appears you did not fit the market that HP sells the computers to. You
    > made the decision to buy what you did. You should have known that your
    > options were limited just by looking at the options on the web page. If
    > the
    > options were not satisfactory, you had the choice to buy elsewhere.
    >
    > In an environment where items are produced in large quantities, the
    > options
    > are limited to keep the costs down. This is both manufacturing and support
    > costs.


    Oh total BS and you know it!

    Riiiing!

    Customer: "Hello? I have this HP system that I ordered and I can't get
    your modem to work with Linux. Can you send me another modem?"

    HP Tech Support: "Im sorry Sir but we can't warranty anything regarding
    software problems and hardware compatibility because we did not sell you the
    Linux package. Good day. Click."

    How hard would that be?

    Translation: You customers are too stipid to install your own OS so we have
    taken the liberty of forcing our version of Windows on you and charging you
    for it. Oh and you won't be getting any CDs, but we won't tell you that
    when you go to ShopHP and order your system.









  3. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:

    > "craigm" wrote in message
    > news:xpv4h.32$tt4.244755@news.sisna.com...
    >> Before you click the buy button you should know what you are buying, and
    >> not
    >> assume what you will get. Much of the information for the computers are
    >> available as part of the support pages.

    >
    > It's kind of HARD to KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE BUYING if HP's web page doesn't
    > TELL YOU!!!
    >
    > Don't you think?!?


    The pages are there. Links have been provided.

    This may make it easier for you.

    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=support


  4. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > news:45530698$0$23275$dbd4f001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> FWIW, I emailed HP tech support on this and they basically told me to get
    > >> ****ed.
    > >> Even after I linked a web page with info on the settlement.
    > >>
    > >> Then they told me to order and pay for my the CDs.

    > >
    > > You pay the *shipping costs*.
    > >
    > >> That's exactly what I expected they would do.

    > >
    > > And misrepresenting things, again, is exactly what we expected you
    > > would do.

    >
    > Bzzt! Wrong again.
    >
    > Did you send me the email? No, so STFU.


    Of course I did. Remember that, *according to you*, all people here
    who disagree with you and prove you wrong - which is let's see ... all
    of them - work for HP. So yes, I obviously sent that email and it says
    that you have to pay shipping costs, i.e. you don't pay for the CDs
    themselves.

    If you have any doubts, then you will see that 'our' webpages, which
    you have be pointed at a zillion times, say exactly the same.

  5. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > news:45530698$1$23275$dbd4f001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > >> news:4551fd24$0$3755$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > >> > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> >> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > >> >> news:45508984$0$88879$dbd4d001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > >> >> > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> >> >> "Jez T" wrote in message
    > >> >> >> news:454f79a7$0$21493$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > [deleted]
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Just showing one of your more blatant misconceptions.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >> You may also have important documents, photos, movies on your
    > >> >> >> >> system and certain custom configurations that you need. And
    > >> >> >> >> if your hard drive crashes...
    > >> >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> >> A restore CD will **** this up!
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> > If you get this far, YOU have ****ed up. Backup your data.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> I do backup so no need to get insulting and make assenine
    > >> >> >> assumptions. Normal people do not backup ever day. And with an
    > >> >> >> installation CD you can cirumvent losing data that was added and
    > >> >> >> changed between backups. I would not expect you to understand
    > >> >> >> this.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Your hard drived *crashed*, remember? There *is* no "data
    > >> >> > that was added and changed between backups" which you can
    > >> >> > "cirumvent losing".
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > If you meant that the drive did not *boot* anymore (and
    > >> >> > could not be made to boot anymore), then *say* so. Using the
    > >> >> > wrong terminology and then blaming your correspondents is
    > >> >> > rather silly.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Anyway, it would be nice to hear from *informed* people
    > >> >> > whether the burn-your-own restore/recovery/ CD has a
    > >> >> > "repair" mode like the supplied-with-the-system one has. If
    > >> >> > so, your comment is false for a non-booting drive as well.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not
    > >> >> referring specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the
    > >> >> know problems and limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.
    > >> >
    > >> > But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A
    > >> > restore CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a
    > >> > restore CD (*or* an installation CD) should *not* be used. By
    > >> > using it anyway YOU "will **** this up!", as we've repeatedly
    > >> > explained. Blaming anyone, including HP, Microsoft, -
    > >> > for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to put it mildly.
    > >>
    > >> Hey Clueless one. My point was that in those situations an
    > >> Installation CD would be a better option than the lame ass backup
    > >> CD. Get it now? Do try to keep up.

    > >
    > > See below.
    > >
    > >> >> FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores
    > >> >> before a final crash and system files get corrupted. This is
    > >> >> where an installation CD comes in as a life saver.
    > >> >
    > >> > *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".
    > >> >
    > >> > You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt
    > >> > to imply that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original
    > >> > content *and nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and
    > >> > losing all user data.
    > >>
    > >> Would you like me to send you a copy of my HP customer made restore
    > >> CD? Because that is exacly the only thing it does.

    > >
    > > (Again,) False!
    > >
    > > For *your* system (which you indeed mentioned (once), albeit not
    > > initially):
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > See the "Press R to perform a standard system recovery." function
    > > in the "Recovering from recovery discs" section.
    > >
    > > A "standard system recovery" is a *non*-destructive recovery. Even
    > > if you didn't know/realize that (which would be rather strange (to
    > > put it mildly), given that the installation disk - which you hold so
    > > dearly - has the exact same functionality), the "Press F to perform
    > > a destructive recovery." in the very next sentence is a dead
    > > give-away. I.e. 'F' is destructive and 'R' isn't.
    > >
    > > So I repeat:
    > >
    > > Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?
    > >
    > > [more of the same misconceptions deleted]
    > >
    > >> > We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently
    > >> > have, because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not
    > >> > even RTFWP when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid
    > >> > flames, childish name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other
    > >> > logical fallacies, etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or
    > >> > takes your 'advice' to heart.
    > >>
    > >> There is no MANUAL when you click the BUY button dumbass. What
    > >> part of that did you not understand?

    > >
    > > Where on earth (in the response you quoted) did I say anything
    > > about the buying process? Obviously I was talking about the FM and
    > > the recovery WP you were pointed to in the very beginning. You know,
    > > the response which you 'rewarded' with "Dear Condescending
    > > Dumbass!"?
    > >
    > > So perhaps some reading and less whining, flaming, insulting, etc.
    > > is in order?

    >
    > No, what would be in order is for you crooks to send people what they
    > paid for.
    >
    > THAT would be in order.


    Thanks very much for that straw man!

    You could not debunk the point I *did* raise (i.e. that despite your
    claims the recovery disks, also for *your* system, *do* offer a
    *non*-destructive recovery), so you commented on an issue which I did
    *not* raise (and in the process, managed to get that totally wrong as
    well). Basic Logic 101 logical fallacy.

    Thanks for confirming that we were right all along.

    QED. Thanks for playing. HTH. EOD. HAND.

  6. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD


    "Gonzo" wrote
    >
    > It's really simple. Let lay it out for you as basic as I can.
    >
    > HP and MS are screwing customers who do not know about their little OS
    > Scam. And their Scam is unethical.
    >
    > Simple as that.


    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

    OEM software and consumer PCs are about providing PCs to a mass market at as
    lower price as possible. That suits most people. There's nothing unethical
    about that.

    And it is not "little", nor is it a "scam" - it is the way that most
    consumers purchase their OS - With their PCs.

    It does not suit me, which is why my PC is unbadged, and all the software on
    it is paid for on an annual contract. My choice.



  7. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD


    "Gonzo" wrote
    > I hope for your sake you don't get paid by the hour for doing this.


    Why not??? (I do actually, but that's not HP related, so strictly off-topic)

    > Is the pay any good?


    Yes.

    > That's because you are snipping only of my post. Go back and > rant snipped>



    > And if I order a system sans OS that is my business.


    Indeed. And it it NOT HP business (Unless you order a business system, but
    that's another matter), therefore it is OFF TOPIC

    > I am the cusomer customer and I have a choice. HP seems to want to limit
    > this. Why?


    You can only buy what is for sale.
    You choice is HP or not HP.

    > Well the truth hurts doesn't it?


    Depends how you see it...

    > Deal with it.


    Who's got the problem here???



  8. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD


    "craigm" wrote
    >
    > HP has identified the products they want to sell and support. The majority
    > of the PC market is satisfied with MS Windows. That is the market they
    > sell
    > to.


    Not quite. HP are in it to make a profit. No profit = bust, bust = no HP.

    They are in the market to make a profit. Simple as that.



  9. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD


    "craigm" wrote
    > Did you also make the recovery _tools_ CD? That provides the other
    > functionality you are looking for.


    Stop trying to be clever Craig - it misses the point ;-)



  10. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "Gonzo" wrote in message
    news:Aya4h.389$rG.144@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > news:4550829e$0$24843$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    >> Gonzo wrote:
    >>> That's just it. I did NOT know exactly what I was buying because HPs
    >>> purchase web page did NOT indicate an OEM HD only installation.


    Perhaps you should have researched what you were buying before you bought
    it!


    > OMFG. Not that it's any of your business. I already HAVE my OWN
    > Installation CD for XP Pro.
    >
    > Simple enough for you?
    >
    > So I was forced to pay for yet another lic that I did not need.


    Nobody *forced* you to do anything. You've even stated that you knew you
    were purchasing a license.

    HP have not screwed you over. They sold a product, same as to anyone else.
    You had a choice whether to buy or not. You even had the opportunity to
    return it if you felt it didn't meet your requirements.

    If everyone else in the world got disks with their machine but you then
    you'd have a right to moan. As it is you got the same deal as other HP (and
    many other PC manufacturers) customers, so stop pissing and moaning.

    I suggest next time you build your own PC. However, going by your posts
    you'd still find something to gripe about.



+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3