HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard ; In article , Ben Myers wrote: > >Note that the above applies to Windows XP. The Windows 2000 Pro CD has zero >cross-checking of motherboard BIOS signature versus anything on the CD itself. The Dell W2K Pro install CD is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

  1. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    In article ,
    Ben Myers wrote:

    >Note that the above applies to Windows XP. The Windows 2000 Pro CD has zero
    >cross-checking of motherboard BIOS signature versus anything on the CD itself.

    The Dell W2K Pro install CD is modified to check for a Dell BIOS
    signature. If not found, it flat out refuses to install. I ran into this
    myself, and eventually found out how do circumvent this (it involves
    renaming several files back to their original names and zapping one data
    file that contains the template for the BIOS signature search).

  2. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Ain't necessarily so. I have reloaded the OS onto tons of Dell equipment,
    > desktops and notebooks, starting with a Dell OEM Windows XP CD....

    On a dv8000t with SATA drives you cannot install Windows XP SP2 from a
    generic install CD, the SATA drivers aren't on it. You can't do the f5
    driver install without a compatible floppies. The USB compatible floppy
    drives are not so easy to obtain, I bought a sony from newegg and had to
    return it. I never did find a floppy drive that would work. What you
    have to do is burn a custom XP install CD that incorporates the proper
    SATA drivers and install from that. There are instructions on the
    internet how to do this.

    Dell will send you an XP install CD if you insist, they did that for me
    this year for a notebook. By the time I got the CD, I had returned the
    notebook to costco, so I refused deliver of the CD.

    I tried the same thing with HP and they completely refused to send me an
    XP install CD. I don't think the people who you talk to on the phone
    there have these as a part number, so they really can't send them.
    Forcing you to use the OS image they ship sucks since it is full of
    circus-ware that takes hours to remove, and you can never remove it all.
    I told myself, never buy HP again, but this notebook has been ok. But HP
    generally has it's head up its ass, very poor software support.

  3. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    lilmikey3@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP, and they refuse to send me the OEM
    > installation CD for the XP operating system, saying it is already loaded on
    > the machine. Can they do this? I'm not happy, I paid for Windows XP and I
    > don't have an installable copy.

    On a dv8000t with SATA drives you cannot install Windows XP SP2 from a
    generic install CD, the SATA drivers aren't on it. You can't do the f5
    driver install without a compatible floppy. The USB compatible floppy
    drives are not so easy to obtain, I bought a sony from newegg and had to
    return it. I never did find a floppy drive that would work. What you
    have to do is burn a custom XP install CD that incorporates the proper
    SATA drivers and install from that. There are instructions on the
    internet how to do this.

    Dell will send you an XP install CD if you insist, they did that for me
    this year for a notebook. By the time I got the CD, I had returned the
    notebook to costco, so I refused delivery of the CD.

    I tried the same thing with HP and they completely refused to send me an
    XP install CD. I don't think the people who you talk to on the phone
    there have these as a part number, so they really can't send them.
    Forcing you to use the OS image they ship sucks since it is full of
    circus-ware that takes hours to remove, and you can never remove it all.
    I told myself, never buy HP again, but this notebook has been ok. But HP
    generally has it's head up its ass, very poor software support.

  4. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    lilmikey3@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP, and they refuse to send me the OEM
    > installation CD for the XP operating system, saying it is already loaded on
    > the machine. Can they do this? I'm not happy, I paid for Windows XP and I
    > don't have an installable copy.

    You can burn the i386 folder with the OS install to CD, and if you are
    clever you can also include the SATA drivers. Instructions to make a
    bootable XP install CD are at sites like this

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357

    Use the product key from the bottom of the notebook.

    This is useful also:

    HP dv8000t Taken Apart

    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511

    I would print these pages out in case the sites dissappear and keep them
    with your notebook manuals. They provide valuable information you will
    never get from HP.

  5. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Last year a suit against Hp was settled. It involved Hp not giving a set of
    instillation disks. There were as best I recall eight disks involved which
    included the operating system. This was for computer between particular
    dates. Hp had to mail sets of the disks to all who had purchased their
    products within the specified time. I don't remember most of the details as
    to where it was brought. It was a class action on behalf of customers. I
    know because they mailed me a set of the disks. You guys might want to run
    this case down.
    Mike
    "Paul" wrote in message
    > lilmikey3@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP, and they refuse to send me the
    >> OEM installation CD for the XP operating system, saying it is already
    >> loaded on the machine. Can they do this? I'm not happy, I paid for
    >> Windows XP and I don't have an installable copy.

    > You can burn the i386 folder with the OS install to CD, and if you are
    > clever you can also include the SATA drivers. Instructions to make a
    > bootable XP install CD are at sites like this
    >
    > http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357
    >
    > Use the product key from the bottom of the notebook.
    >

    > This is useful also:
    >
    > HP dv8000t Taken Apart
    >
    > http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511
    >

    > I would print these pages out in case the sites dissappear and keep them
    > with your notebook manuals. They provide valuable information you will
    > never get from HP.

  6. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > Gonzo wrote:
    >> "Jez T" wrote in message

    > [deleted]
    >
    > Just showing one of your more blatant misconceptions.

    >> > If you get this far, YOU have ****ed up. Backup your data.

    >> I do backup so no need to get insulting and make assenine assumptions.
    >> Normal people do not backup ever day. And with an installation CD you
    >> can
    >> cirumvent losing data that was added and changed between backups. I
    >> would
    >> not expect you to understand this.

    > Your hard drived *crashed*, remember? There *is* no "data that was
    > added and changed between backups" which you can "cirumvent losing".
    >
    > If you meant that the drive did not *boot* anymore (and could not be
    > made to boot anymore), then *say* so. Using the wrong terminology and
    > then blaming your correspondents is rather silly.
    >
    > Anyway, it would be nice to hear from *informed* people whether the
    > burn-your-own restore/recovery/ CD has a "repair" mode like
    > the supplied-with-the-system one has. If so, your comment is false for a
    > non-booting drive as well.

    OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not referring
    specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the know problems and
    limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.

    FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores before a final
    crash and system files get corrupted. This is where an installation CD
    comes in as a life saver.

    Got it? Get some reading comprehension.

    But I digress, I would not expect an HP tech drone to understand.

  7. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    OMG Mike, you are a life saver. I hope I can be part of this suit.

    Do you have any more information or a link?

    "Mike" wrote in message
    > Last year a suit against Hp was settled. It involved Hp not giving a set
    > of instillation disks. There were as best I recall eight disks involved
    > which included the operating system. This was for computer between
    > particular dates. Hp had to mail sets of the disks to all who had
    > purchased their products within the specified time. I don't remember most
    > of the details as to where it was brought. It was a class action on behalf
    > of customers. I know because they mailed me a set of the disks. You guys
    > might want to run this case down.
    > Mike
    > "Paul" wrote in message
    >> lilmikey3@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP, and they refuse to send me the
    >>> OEM installation CD for the XP operating system, saying it is already
    >>> loaded on the machine. Can they do this? I'm not happy, I paid for
    >>> Windows XP and I don't have an installable copy.

    >> You can burn the i386 folder with the OS install to CD, and if you are
    >> clever you can also include the SATA drivers. Instructions to make a
    >> bootable XP install CD are at sites like this
    >>
    >> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357
    >>
    >> Use the product key from the bottom of the notebook.
    >>

    >> This is useful also:
    >>
    >> HP dv8000t Taken Apart
    >>
    >> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511
    >>

    >> I would print these pages out in case the sites dissappear and keep them
    >> with your notebook manuals. They provide valuable information you will
    >> never get from HP.

  8. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Curious! I never ran into that one. I have used a standard OEM Win 2000 Pro
    CD on Dells with never a complaint... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:24:54 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >>Note that the above applies to Windows XP. The Windows 2000 Pro CD has zero
    >>cross-checking of motherboard BIOS signature versus anything on the CD itself.

    >The Dell W2K Pro install CD is modified to check for a Dell BIOS
    >signature. If not found, it flat out refuses to install. I ran into this
    >myself, and eventually found out how do circumvent this (it involves
    >renaming several files back to their original names and zapping one data
    >file that contains the template for the BIOS signature search).

  9. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    This is the 1st I'm hearing of this. Any added info is apprec.

    "Gonzo" wrote in message
    > OMG Mike, you are a life saver. I hope I can be part of this suit.
    >
    > Do you have any more information or a link?
    >
    > "Mike" wrote in message
    >> Last year a suit against Hp was settled. It involved Hp not giving a set
    >> of instillation disks. There were as best I recall eight disks involved
    >> which included the operating system. This was for computer between
    >> particular dates. Hp had to mail sets of the disks to all who had
    >> purchased their products within the specified time. I don't remember most
    >> of the details as to where it was brought. It was a class action on
    >> behalf of customers. I know because they mailed me a set of the disks.
    >> You guys might want to run this case down.
    >> Mike
    >> "Paul" wrote in message

    >>> You can burn the i386 folder with the OS install to CD, and if you are
    >>> clever you can also include the SATA drivers. Instructions to make a
    >>> bootable XP install CD are at sites like this
    >>>
    >>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357
    >>>
    >>> Use the product key from the bottom of the notebook.
    >>>

    >>> This is useful also:
    >>>
    >>> HP dv8000t Taken Apart
    >>>
    >>> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511
    >>>

    >>> I would print these pages out in case the sites dissappear and keep them
    >>> with your notebook manuals. They provide valuable information you will
    >>> never get from HP.

  10. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    In article <7ug2l2p1e4diu9i5j9ipjgglg05e7e9lht@4ax.com>,
    Ben Myers wrote:

    >On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:24:54 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:
    >

    >>In article ,
    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Note that the above applies to Windows XP. The Windows 2000 Pro CD has zero
    >>>cross-checking of motherboard BIOS signature versus anything on the CD

    >itself.
    >>
    >>The Dell W2K Pro install CD is modified to check for a Dell BIOS
    >>signature. If not found, it flat out refuses to install. I ran into this
    >>myself, and eventually found out how do circumvent this (it involves
    >>renaming several files back to their original names and zapping one data
    >>file that contains the template for the BIOS signature search).
    >>

    >Curious! I never ran into that one. I have used a standard OEM Win 2000 Pro
    >CD on Dells with never a complaint... Ben Myers

    The primary file is bchk32.exe which resides in the i386 directory of the
    Dell W2K install CD. It is executed very early in the boot/setup process, and
    writes a random file in a temp directory of the C: drive containing the
    result of the BIOS check (+++ for Dell BIOS found, --- for not). Several
    other files used in setup are renamed and replaced with executables that
    support this process.

  11. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> "Jez T" wrote in message

    > > [deleted]
    > >
    > > Just showing one of your more blatant misconceptions.

    > >> I do backup so no need to get insulting and make assenine
    > >> assumptions. Normal people do not backup ever day. And with an
    > >> installation CD you can cirumvent losing data that was added and
    > >> changed between backups. I would not expect you to understand
    > >> this.

    > > Your hard drived *crashed*, remember? There *is* no "data that was
    > > added and changed between backups" which you can "cirumvent losing".
    > >
    > > If you meant that the drive did not *boot* anymore (and could not be
    > > made to boot anymore), then *say* so. Using the wrong terminology and
    > > then blaming your correspondents is rather silly.
    > >
    > > Anyway, it would be nice to hear from *informed* people whether the
    > > burn-your-own restore/recovery/ CD has a "repair" mode like
    > > the supplied-with-the-system one has. If so, your comment is false for a
    > > non-booting drive as well.

    > OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not referring
    > specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the know problems and
    > limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.

    But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A restore
    CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a restore CD (*or*
    an installation CD) should *not* be used. By using it anyway YOU "will
    **** this up!", as we've repeatedly explained. Blaming anyone, including
    HP, Microsoft, - for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to put
    it mildly.

    > FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores before a final
    > crash and system files get corrupted. This is where an installation CD
    > comes in as a life saver.

    *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".

    You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt to imply
    that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original content *and
    nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and losing all user data.

    But they are *actually* called *"recovery"* disks and can *both*
    "restore" (i.e. overwrite everything) *and* "recover". This is what the
    HP website says for the dv8000t which the OP has (BTW, have you ever
    said which system *you* have?):

    Recovering from the recovery disks

    The Windows operating system (OS) can be reinstalled, using the recovery
    disks, without destroying any existing programs or user data. This
    action is normally only performed if the PC does not start properly or
    does not boot into the Windows operating system.

    So the scenario where the system does not boot, but you want save/keep
    the data ("important documents, photos, movies" is *fully covered* by
    the recovery disks.

    Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?

    Overwriting everything (and hence losing data) is actually the *last*
    resort in the mentioned procedures.

    > Got it? Get some reading comprehension.
    >
    > But I digress, I would not expect an HP tech drone to understand.

    This is so blatantly PKB that it's funny.

    We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently have,
    because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not even RTFWP
    when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid flames, childish
    name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other logical fallacies,
    etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or takes your 'advice' to heart.

  12. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    > Gonzo wrote:
    >> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > [deleted]
    >> >
    >> > Just showing one of your more blatant misconceptions.

    >> > Your hard drived *crashed*, remember? There *is* no "data that was
    >> > added and changed between backups" which you can "cirumvent losing".
    >> >
    >> > If you meant that the drive did not *boot* anymore (and could not be
    >> > made to boot anymore), then *say* so. Using the wrong terminology and
    >> > then blaming your correspondents is rather silly.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, it would be nice to hear from *informed* people whether the
    >> > burn-your-own restore/recovery/ CD has a "repair" mode like
    >> > the supplied-with-the-system one has. If so, your comment is false for
    >> > non-booting drive as well.

    >> OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not referring
    >> specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the know problems and
    >> limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.

    > But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A restore
    > CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a restore CD (*or*
    > an installation CD) should *not* be used. By using it anyway YOU "will
    > **** this up!", as we've repeatedly explained. Blaming anyone, including
    > HP, Microsoft, - for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to put
    > it mildly.

    Hey Clueless one. My point was that in those situations an Installation CD
    would be a better option than the lame ass backup CD. Get it now? Do try
    to keep up.

    >> FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores before a
    >> final
    >> crash and system files get corrupted. This is where an installation CD
    >> comes in as a life saver.

    > *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".
    >
    > You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt to imply
    > that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original content *and
    > nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and losing all user data.

    Would you like me to send you a copy of my HP customer made restore CD?
    Because that is exacly the only thing it does.

    > But they are *actually* called *"recovery"* disks and can *both*
    > "restore" (i.e. overwrite everything) *and* "recover". This is what the
    > HP website says for the dv8000t which the OP has (BTW, have you ever
    > said which system *you* have?):

    Oh but if you followed the thread and actually read what I posted you would
    know I had a d1000e. But what the **** do you care.

    > Recovering from the recovery disks
    >
    > The Windows operating system (OS) can be reinstalled, using the recovery
    > disks, without destroying any existing programs or user data. This
    > action is normally only performed if the PC does not start properly or
    > does not boot into the Windows operating system.

    Bzzzt Wrong! Not my recover CD.

    > So the scenario where the system does not boot, but you want save/keep
    > the data ("important documents, photos, movies" is *fully covered* by
    > the recovery disks.
    >
    > Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?

    You need to get your facts straight HP boy.

    > Overwriting everything (and hence losing data) is actually the *last*
    > resort in the mentioned procedures.

    No ****ing **** REALLY?!? And that is the ONLY option HP gives it's
    customers with a restore CD that erases everything. Get a ****ing clue
    aleready and take your head out of HP's ass long enough to understand what I
    keep trying to explain to your thick ass skull.

    >> Got it? Get some reading comprehension.
    >>
    >> But I digress, I would not expect an HP tech drone to understand.

    > This is so blatantly PKB that it's funny.

    It's even funnier because it's true.

    > We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently have,
    > because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not even RTFWP
    > when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid flames, childish
    > name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other logical fallacies,
    > etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or takes your 'advice' to heart.

    There is no MANUAL when you click the BUY button dumbass. What part of that
    did you not understand?

  13. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    FWIW, I emailed HP tech support on this and they basically told me to get
    ****ed.
    Even after I linked a web page with info on the settlement.

    Then they told me to order and pay for my the CDs.

    That's exactly what I expected they would do.

    "Larry Mauriello" wrote in message
    > This is the 1st I'm hearing of this. Any added info is apprec.
    >
    > "Gonzo" wrote in message
    >> OMG Mike, you are a life saver. I hope I can be part of this suit.
    >>
    >> Do you have any more information or a link?
    >>
    >> "Mike" wrote in message
    >>> Last year a suit against Hp was settled. It involved Hp not giving a set
    >>> of instillation disks. There were as best I recall eight disks involved
    >>> which included the operating system. This was for computer between
    >>> particular dates. Hp had to mail sets of the disks to all who had
    >>> purchased their products within the specified time. I don't remember
    >>> most of the details as to where it was brought. It was a class action on
    >>> behalf of customers. I know because they mailed me a set of the disks.
    >>> You guys might want to run this case down.
    >>> Mike
    >>> "Paul" wrote in message

  14. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    That does not
    > require me to EXPLAIN my choices to HP or YOU. I am the cusomer customer
    > and I have a choice. HP seems to want to limit this. Why?

    HP has identified the products they want to sell and support. The majority
    of the PC market is satisfied with MS Windows. That is the market they sell
    to.

    Some models have been sold with Linux preinstalled. (Yours was not one of
    them.)

    By selling a PC with no OS, the machine will not function out of the box. By
    allowing customers to put any OS they choose on the PC they would open
    themselves to a support nightmare. Imagine trying to do phone support for a
    PC with a unique software configuration, one that may not be able to work
    properly.

    It appears you did not fit the market that HP sells the computers to. You
    made the decision to buy what you did. You should have known that your
    options were limited just by looking at the options on the web page. If the
    options were not satisfactory, you had the choice to buy elsewhere.

    In an environment where items are produced in large quantities, the options
    are limited to keep the costs down. This is both manufacturing and support
    costs.

  15. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:

    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    >> Gonzo wrote:
    >>> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

    >>> OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not referring
    >>> specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the know problems and
    >>> limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.

    >> But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A restore
    >> CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a restore CD (*or*
    >> an installation CD) should *not* be used. By using it anyway YOU "will
    >> **** this up!", as we've repeatedly explained. Blaming anyone, including
    >> HP, Microsoft, - for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to put
    >> it mildly.

    > Hey Clueless one. My point was that in those situations an Installation
    > CD
    > would be a better option than the lame ass backup CD. Get it now? Do try
    > to keep up.
    >
    >>> FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores before a
    >>> final
    >>> crash and system files get corrupted. This is where an installation CD
    >>> comes in as a life saver.

    >> *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".
    >>
    >> You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt to imply
    >> that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original content *and
    >> nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and losing all user data.

    > Would you like me to send you a copy of my HP customer made restore CD?
    > Because that is exacly the only thing it does.

    Did you also make the recovery _tools_ CD? That provides the other
    functionality you are looking for.

    >> But they are *actually* called *"recovery"* disks and can *both*
    >> "restore" (i.e. overwrite everything) *and* "recover". This is what the
    >> HP website says for the dv8000t which the OP has (BTW, have you ever
    >> said which system *you* have?):

    > Oh but if you followed the thread and actually read what I posted you
    > would
    > know I had a d1000e. But what the **** do you care.
    >

    >> Recovering from the recovery disks
    >>
    >> The Windows operating system (OS) can be reinstalled, using the recovery
    >> disks, without destroying any existing programs or user data. This
    >> action is normally only performed if the PC does not start properly or
    >> does not boot into the Windows operating system.
    >>

    > Bzzzt Wrong! Not my recover CD.
    >
    >> So the scenario where the system does not boot, but you want save/keep
    >> the data ("important documents, photos, movies" is *fully covered* by
    >> the recovery disks.
    >>
    >> Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?

    > You need to get your facts straight HP boy.
    >
    >> Overwriting everything (and hence losing data) is actually the *last*
    >> resort in the mentioned procedures.

    > No ****ing **** REALLY?!? And that is the ONLY option HP gives it's
    > customers with a restore CD that erases everything. Get a ****ing clue
    > aleready and take your head out of HP's ass long enough to understand what
    > I keep trying to explain to your thick ass skull.

    While I don't know about your specific system, your statement is not true in
    general. There is a Tools CD that gives other recovery options. There are
    multiple recovery options depending upon what is wrong with the system.

    Also, nobody has mentioned that even if you had the MS full install CD, you
    would not necessarily have all the drivers for your system. Any hardware
    released after the MS CD was mastered will not have its drivers on the MS
    CD. For the average user this becomes a problem if there system needs to be
    completely restored. (What order to load drivers, how to answer all the
    prompts, how to handle a lost CD, etc.)

    >>> Got it? Get some reading comprehension.
    >>>
    >>> But I digress, I would not expect an HP tech drone to understand.

    >> This is so blatantly PKB that it's funny.

    > It's even funnier because it's true.
    >
    >> We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently have,
    >> because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not even RTFWP
    >> when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid flames, childish
    >> name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other logical fallacies,
    >> etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or takes your 'advice' to heart.

    > There is no MANUAL when you click the BUY button dumbass. What part of
    > that did you not understand?

    Before you click the buy button you should know what you are buying, and not
    assume what you will get. Much of the information for the computers are
    available as part of the support pages.

  16. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    For those that are interested,

    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00263190.pdf

    See the section beginning on page 6.

  17. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    > FWIW, I emailed HP tech support on this and they basically told me to get
    > ****ed.
    > Even after I linked a web page with info on the settlement.
    >
    > Then they told me to order and pay for my the CDs.

    You pay the *shipping costs*.

    > That's exactly what I expected they would do.

    And misrepresenting things, again, is exactly what we expected you
    would do.

    > "Larry Mauriello" wrote in message
    > > This is the 1st I'm hearing of this. Any added info is apprec.
    > >
    > > "Gonzo" wrote in message
    > >> OMG Mike, you are a life saver. I hope I can be part of this suit.
    > >>
    > >> Do you have any more information or a link?
    > >>
    > >> "Mike" wrote in message

    [deleted]

  18. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gonzo wrote:
    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > > Gonzo wrote:
    > >> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

    > >> OK, let me explan this to you so you can get it. Im not referring
    > >> specifically to MY situation. I was posting all the know problems and
    > >> limitations of using HPs BS restore CD.

    > > But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A restore
    > > CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a restore CD (*or*
    > > an installation CD) should *not* be used. By using it anyway YOU "will
    > > **** this up!", as we've repeatedly explained. Blaming anyone, including
    > > HP, Microsoft, - for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to put
    > > it mildly.

    > Hey Clueless one. My point was that in those situations an Installation CD
    > would be a better option than the lame ass backup CD. Get it now? Do try
    > to keep up.

    See below.

    > >> FYI, most hard drive problems show up slowly as bad sectores before
    > >> a final crash and system files get corrupted. This is where an
    > >> installation CD comes in as a life saver.

    > > *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".
    > >
    > > You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt to imply
    > > that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original content *and
    > > nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and losing all user data.

    > Would you like me to send you a copy of my HP customer made restore CD?
    > Because that is exacly the only thing it does.

    (Again,) False!

    For *your* system (which you indeed mentioned (once), albeit not
    initially):

    See the "Press R to perform a standard system recovery." function in
    the "Recovering from recovery discs" section.

    A "standard system recovery" is a *non*-destructive recovery. Even if
    you didn't know/realize that (which would be rather strange (to put it
    mildly), given that the installation disk - which you hold so dearly -
    has the exact same functionality), the "Press F to perform a destructive
    recovery." in the very next sentence is a dead give-away. I.e. 'F' is
    destructive and 'R' isn't.

    So I repeat:

    Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?

    [more of the same misconceptions deleted]

    > > We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently have,
    > > because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not even RTFWP
    > > when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid flames, childish
    > > name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other logical fallacies,
    > > etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or takes your 'advice' to heart.

    > There is no MANUAL when you click the BUY button dumbass. What part of that
    > did you not understand?

    Where on earth (in the response you quoted) did I say anything about
    the buying process? Obviously I was talking about the FM and the
    recovery WP you were pointed to in the very beginning. You know, the
    response which you 'rewarded' with "Dear Condescending Dumbass!"?

    So perhaps some reading and less whining, flaming, insulting, etc. is
    in order?

  19. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    > Gonzo wrote:
    >> FWIW, I emailed HP tech support on this and they basically told me to get
    >> ****ed.
    >> Even after I linked a web page with info on the settlement.
    >>
    >> Then they told me to order and pay for my the CDs.

    > You pay the *shipping costs*.
    >
    >> That's exactly what I expected they would do.

    > And misrepresenting things, again, is exactly what we expected you
    > would do.

    Bzzt! Wrong again.

    Did you send me the email? No, so STFU.

  20. Re: HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

    > Gonzo wrote:
    >> "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

    >> > But what *we* (not just I) have *proven* to you that your "A restore
    >> > CD will **** this up!" scenarios, are scenarios where a restore CD
    >> > (*or*
    >> > an installation CD) should *not* be used. By using it anyway YOU "will
    >> > **** this up!", as we've repeatedly explained. Blaming anyone,
    >> > including
    >> > HP, Microsoft, - for YOUR incompetence is rather silly, to
    >> > put
    >> > it mildly.

    >> Hey Clueless one. My point was that in those situations an Installation
    >> CD
    >> would be a better option than the lame ass backup CD. Get it now? Do
    >> try
    >> to keep up.

    > See below.

    >> > *and* *likewise*, the *repair* mode of the "restore CD".
    >> >
    >> > You constantly call it "restore CD", probably in some attempt to imply
    >> > that that is all it does, i.e. restore the original content *and
    >> > nothing else*, i.e. overwriting everything and losing all user data.

    >> Would you like me to send you a copy of my HP customer made restore CD?
    >> Because that is exacly the only thing it does.

    > (Again,) False!
    >
    > For *your* system (which you indeed mentioned (once), albeit not
    > initially):
    >

    > See the "Press R to perform a standard system recovery." function in
    > the "Recovering from recovery discs" section.
    >
    > A "standard system recovery" is a *non*-destructive recovery. Even if
    > you didn't know/realize that (which would be rather strange (to put it
    > mildly), given that the installation disk - which you hold so dearly -
    > has the exact same functionality), the "Press F to perform a destructive
    > recovery." in the very next sentence is a dead give-away. I.e. 'F' is
    > destructive and 'R' isn't.
    >
    > So I repeat:
    >
    > Bummer heh, when your nice rants get debunked by facts?
    >
    > [more of the same misconceptions deleted]
    >
    >> > We have no reading/comprehension problems, but you apparently have,
    >> > because you apparently can't be bothered to RTFM, and not even RTFWP
    >> > when pointed to it. Instead you respond with invalid flames, childish
    >> > name calling, straw men, non sequiturs and other logical fallacies,
    >> > etc.. It doubt that anyone is impressed or takes your 'advice' to
    >> > heart.

    >> There is no MANUAL when you click the BUY button dumbass. What part of
    >> that
    >> did you not understand?

    > Where on earth (in the response you quoted) did I say anything about
    > the buying process? Obviously I was talking about the FM and the
    > recovery WP you were pointed to in the very beginning. You know, the
    > response which you 'rewarded' with "Dear Condescending Dumbass!"?
    >
    > So perhaps some reading and less whining, flaming, insulting, etc. is
    > in order?

    No, what would be in order is for you crooks to send people what they paid
    for.

    THAT would be in order.