HP refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP refuses to provide XP installation CD - Hewlett Packard ; I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP. I paid for Windows XP and MS Office, and they refuse to send the OEM installation CD's, saying they are already installed on the computer. I have purchased OEM software before from ...

  1. HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP. I paid for Windows XP and MS
    Office, and they refuse to send the OEM installation CD's, saying they are
    already installed on the computer. I have purchased OEM software before from
    other companies and have always been given the Microsoft CD's. I am very
    unhappy about this. Does anyone know if something can be done?

    Mike Norton
    mike@tnttape.com

  2. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    lilmikey3@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP.

    Did you *purchase* it from HP or was it (obviously) just *made* by HP?

    If the latter, then why not return it to whoever you bought it from?

    > I paid for Windows XP and MS Office,

    No, you didn't. At best, the *license to use* was *included* in the
    purchase price.

    > and they refuse to send the OEM installation CD's, saying they are
    > already installed on the computer.

    [Assuming "they" means "Windows XP and MS Office", not "the OEM
    installation CD's".]

    I'm sure the system has a Recovery Partition or/and a facility to burn
    Recovery CDs, so why don't you use that?

    > I have purchased OEM software before from other companies and have
    > always been given the Microsoft CD's. I am very unhappy about this.
    > Does anyone know if something can be done?

    Ask *before* buying? Or/and move to Europe :-), where Recovery CDs
    *are* included with consumer type HP Pavilion laptops, assuming the
    dv8000t falls into that category (my (wife's) dv4205 does).

    > Mike Norton
    > mike@tnttape.com

  3. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Hp's "method" to rebuild a machine is to put a program on your hard disk to
    "restore" to the originally shipped condition. They also put a program on
    the hard disk to create a set of "restore" DVDs/CDs so that you can replace
    your hard disk with a new one and reinstall, if necessary. It's a good idea
    to make a set of these when you first get your computer. However, many
    don't. So, hp makes available on their website a set of restore CDs for your
    machine (at a small handling/shipping cost).

    What is missing is all of this is an actual MS Windows or Office
    Installation CD. You're not gonna get it from hp.

    I know this is how they do business (so do other vendors) and I won't buy an
    hp system unless I am prepared to deal with this issue, one way or another.

    Having said all that.. I also HATE it! It really pisses me off. In my
    opinion, all this type of crap came from way back when, when MS decided that
    "preloads" distributed by computer vendors were very lucrative. Remember
    when they got in big do-do with the FTC for requiring vendors to pay them a
    fee even if a computer went out without MS OS on it! Just to qualify for
    using the OEM program! Anyway, the courts struck that down (finally) but the
    issue to consumers is the same. And OEM license isn't worth a damn on
    anything other than the original computer. You might just as well accept
    that, as I have. As much as I hate it.

    -Frank

    wrote in message
    news:Lt03h.1476$Mw.1471@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com ...
    >I purchased a new dv8000t laptop from HP. I paid for Windows XP and MS
    >Office, and they refuse to send the OEM installation CD's, saying they are
    >already installed on the computer. I have purchased OEM software before
    >from other companies and have always been given the Microsoft CD's. I am
    >very unhappy about this. Does anyone know if something can be done?
    >
    > Mike Norton
    > mike@tnttape.com

  4. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Frankster wrote:
    > Hp's "method" to rebuild a machine is to put a program on your hard disk to
    > "restore" to the originally shipped condition. They also put a program on
    > the hard disk to create a set of "restore" DVDs/CDs so that you can replace
    > your hard disk with a new one and reinstall, if necessary. It's a good idea
    > to make a set of these when you first get your computer. However, many
    > don't. So, hp makes available on their website a set of restore CDs for your
    > machine (at a small handling/shipping cost).
    >
    > What is missing is all of this is an actual MS Windows or Office
    > Installation CD. You're not gonna get it from hp.
    >
    > I know this is how they do business (so do other vendors) and I won't buy an
    > hp system unless I am prepared to deal with this issue, one way or another.

    Note that this (Recovery Partition or/and program to create Recovery
    CDs/DVDs) is a *US* thing. See for example the thread "HELP: How to
    recover HP Pavillion dv5000 without disks??" of August 29 (thread start:
    ).

    It is a US thing for *HP* systems. It would be nice to hear whether or
    not it is also a US thing for *other* vendors of *consumer type* PCs.

    In these (comp.sys.hp.*) groups we often hear stories about other
    vendors being 'better' in this area (i.e. supplying Recovery CDs/DVDs),
    but no-one ever bothers to post *apples-to-apples facts*.

    > Having said all that.. I also HATE it! It really pisses me off. In my
    > opinion, all this type of crap came from way back when, when MS decided that
    > "preloads" distributed by computer vendors were very lucrative. Remember
    > when they got in big do-do with the FTC for requiring vendors to pay them a
    > fee even if a computer went out without MS OS on it! Just to qualify for
    > using the OEM program! Anyway, the courts struck that down (finally) but the
    > issue to consumers is the same. And OEM license isn't worth a damn on
    > anything other than the original computer. You might just as well accept
    > that, as I have. As much as I hate it.

    Indeed, so the real issue is whether you have to *create* your own
    Recovery CDs/DVDs *or* that they are *supplied* with the machine.

    Suppied-with is *nicer* (hence my check at purchase time), but
    create-your-own is not such a big deal that people have to get their
    knickers in a knot.

    > -Frank

  5. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > Frankster wrote:
    >> Hp's "method" to rebuild a machine is to put a program on your hard disk
    >> "restore" to the originally shipped condition. They also put a program on
    >> the hard disk to create a set of "restore" DVDs/CDs so that you can
    >> replace
    >> your hard disk with a new one and reinstall, if necessary. It's a good
    >> idea
    >> to make a set of these when you first get your computer. However, many
    >> don't. So, hp makes available on their website a set of restore CDs for
    >> your
    >> machine (at a small handling/shipping cost).
    >>
    >> What is missing is all of this is an actual MS Windows or Office
    >> Installation CD. You're not gonna get it from hp.
    >>
    >> I know this is how they do business (so do other vendors) and I won't buy
    >> an
    >> hp system unless I am prepared to deal with this issue, one way or
    >> another.

    > Note that this (Recovery Partition or/and program to create Recovery
    > CDs/DVDs) is a *US* thing. See for example the thread "HELP: How to
    > recover HP Pavillion dv5000 without disks??" of August 29 (thread start:
    > ).
    >
    > It is a US thing for *HP* systems. It would be nice to hear whether or
    > not it is also a US thing for *other* vendors of *consumer type* PCs.
    >
    > In these (comp.sys.hp.*) groups we often hear stories about other
    > vendors being 'better' in this area (i.e. supplying Recovery CDs/DVDs),
    > but no-one ever bothers to post *apples-to-apples facts*.
    >

    >> Having said all that.. I also HATE it! It really pisses me off. In my
    >> opinion, all this type of crap came from way back when, when MS decided
    >> that
    >> "preloads" distributed by computer vendors were very lucrative. Remember
    >> when they got in big do-do with the FTC for requiring vendors to pay them
    >> fee even if a computer went out without MS OS on it! Just to qualify for
    >> using the OEM program! Anyway, the courts struck that down (finally) but
    >> the
    >> issue to consumers is the same. And OEM license isn't worth a damn on
    >> anything other than the original computer. You might just as well accept
    >> that, as I have. As much as I hate it.
    >>

    > Indeed, so the real issue is whether you have to *create* your own
    > Recovery CDs/DVDs *or* that they are *supplied* with the machine.
    >
    > Suppied-with is *nicer* (hence my check at purchase time), but
    > create-your-own is not such a big deal that people have to get their
    > knickers in a knot.

    Actually the issue is bigger than that. One problem is that the "recovery"
    method will not allow recovering to include your MS and other application
    updates and such. It will basically re-write the exact condition of the
    machine when you purchased it (possibly years ago). For instance, if you
    upgraded to IE7 (shudder - hee hee) it will roll you back to whatever came
    on the machine (IE6). Also, if you have changed hardware (or added it), the
    recovery will not address those. You'll have to do all that all over again.

    As for other vendors, I can say that Dell supplies them with the machine.
    But I don't view whether or not they are supplied or you have to make them
    yourself as a really huge deal. Personally, I want the actual Install (from
    scratch) MS CD (OEM or not).

    Anyway, just my view.

    -Frank

  6. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Frankster wrote:

    > "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > > Frankster wrote:
    > >> Hp's "method" to rebuild a machine is to put a program on your hard
    > >> disk to "restore" to the originally shipped condition. They also
    > >> put a program on the hard disk to create a set of "restore"
    > >> DVDs/CDs so that you can replace your hard disk with a new one and
    > >> reinstall, if necessary. It's a good idea to make a set of these
    > >> when you first get your computer. However, many don't. So, hp makes
    > >> available on their website a set of restore CDs for your machine
    > >> (at a small handling/shipping cost).
    > >>
    > >> What is missing is all of this is an actual MS Windows or Office
    > >> Installation CD. You're not gonna get it from hp.
    > >>
    > >> I know this is how they do business (so do other vendors) and I
    > >> won't buy an hp system unless I am prepared to deal with this
    > >> issue, one way or another.

    > > Note that this (Recovery Partition or/and program to create Recovery
    > > CDs/DVDs) is a *US* thing. See for example the thread "HELP: How to
    > > recover HP Pavillion dv5000 without disks??" of August 29 (thread start:
    > > ).
    > >
    > > It is a US thing for *HP* systems. It would be nice to hear whether or
    > > not it is also a US thing for *other* vendors of *consumer type* PCs.
    > >
    > > In these (comp.sys.hp.*) groups we often hear stories about other
    > > vendors being 'better' in this area (i.e. supplying Recovery CDs/DVDs),
    > > but no-one ever bothers to post *apples-to-apples facts*.
    > >

    > >> Having said all that.. I also HATE it! It really pisses me off. In
    > >> my opinion, all this type of crap came from way back when, when MS
    > >> decided that "preloads" distributed by computer vendors were very
    > >> lucrative. Remember when they got in big do-do with the FTC for
    > >> requiring vendors to pay them a fee even if a computer went out
    > >> without MS OS on it! Just to qualify for using the OEM program!
    > >> Anyway, the courts struck that down (finally) but the issue to
    > >> consumers is the same. And OEM license isn't worth a damn on
    > >> anything other than the original computer. You might just as well
    > >> accept that, as I have. As much as I hate it.
    > >>

    > > Indeed, so the real issue is whether you have to *create* your own
    > > Recovery CDs/DVDs *or* that they are *supplied* with the machine.
    > >
    > > Suppied-with is *nicer* (hence my check at purchase time), but
    > > create-your-own is not such a big deal that people have to get their
    > > knickers in a knot.

    > Actually the issue is bigger than that. One problem is that the "recovery"
    > method will not allow recovering to include your MS and other application
    > updates and such. It will basically re-write the exact condition of the
    > machine when you purchased it (possibly years ago). For instance, if you
    > upgraded to IE7 (shudder - hee hee) it will roll you back to whatever came
    > on the machine (IE6). Also, if you have changed hardware (or added it), the
    > recovery will not address those. You'll have to do all that all over again.

    No, you'll *not* "have to do all that all over again". The concept is
    called "backup". I.e. *if* the system does not boot *and* can not be
    *made* to boot, you *recover* the - indeed original state of the -
    system, and then you *restore* the latest backup. Done.

    It's unrealistic to make anyone but oneself responsible for the lack
    of backup.

    The situation is exactly the same if you have original Installation
    CDs, also then you either have and restore the latest backup or "have to
    do all that all over again". The choice is yours. So this has nothing to
    do with having recovery media or installation media. (Actually the
    installation media case could be worse, because that might not cover all
    your initial hardware, i.e. extra MB drivers, other drivers, etc..)

    BTW, if you have added special *backup* hardware or/and software, then
    you might have to redo *that* part (after the recovery and before the
    restore, but that's not "all that all over again", and again no
    different for recovery media versus installation media.

    > As for other vendors, I can say that Dell supplies them with the machine.
    > But I don't view whether or not they are supplied or you have to make them
    > yourself as a really huge deal. Personally, I want the actual Install (from
    > scratch) MS CD (OEM or not).

    I can understand that (the latter), but very few 'boxed' (i.e. ready
    to run) *consumer type* PCs come complete with *installation* media.
    *If* they do, the software - i.e. Windows, Office, etc. - are often
    seperate (cost) line items, and you get the real retail software
    products, i.e. a box (per product) with documentation and media.

    > Anyway, just my view.

    And they are appreciated, by *this*

    > -Frank

  7. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

> [...]

    > you might have to redo *that* part (after the recovery and before the
    > restore, but that's not "all that all over again", and again no
    > different for recovery media versus installation media.
    >
    >> As for other vendors, I can say that Dell supplies them with the machine.
    >> But I don't view whether or not they are supplied or you have to make
    >> them
    >> yourself as a really huge deal. Personally, I want the actual Install
    >> (from
    >> scratch) MS CD (OEM or not).

    > I can understand that (the latter), but very few 'boxed' (i.e. ready
    > to run) *consumer type* PCs come complete with *installation* media.
    > *If* they do, the software - i.e. Windows, Office, etc. - are often
    > seperate (cost) line items, and you get the real retail software
    > products, i.e. a box (per product) with documentation and media.

    Well, as another example, if you are (re)installing a device and want the
    install to search for drivers on the OS CD, the drivers often can't be found
    on the recovery set. I've tried. Even when you know they are on the official
    (full) distribution. There often isn't any ".inf" file on the recovery CDs
    to go with the drivers that were on your original PC, since the CDs are only
    designed to "recover", not load. And.. whatever is on the recovery set is
    only what was on your original purchased PC. Not all the drivers on the MS
    CD.

    As for backups... yeah, that's a another story. However, the general
    consensus in my circles is to back up the data but not the programs. Don't
    want to get into that bucket of worms though.

    -Frank

  8. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Have a peep hear and see what you make of it...?

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357

    Sometimes the makers put a copy of the installation files on the hard
    drive and all you got to do is to burn em'.

    Don't like posting links to other forum but what the heck if it helps
    folks.

    Davy

  9. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Frankster wrote:
    [deleted]

    > Well, as another example, if you are (re)installing a device and want
    > the install to search for drivers on the OS CD, the drivers often
    > can't be found on the recovery set. I've tried. Even when you know
    > they are on the official (full) distribution. There often isn't any
    > ".inf" file on the recovery CDs to go with the drivers that were on
    > your original PC, since the CDs are only designed to "recover", not
    > load. And.. whatever is on the recovery set is only what was on your
    > original purchased PC. Not all the drivers on the MS CD.

    Interesting point. I have never encountered that situation (while I
    have no full MS CD), but I imagine it could happen. I have always found
    all drivers on my PC or on the CD supplied with new hardware. Perhaps
    the fact that I have XP Professional (not Home) makes a difference?

    > As for backups... yeah, that's a another story. However, the general
    > consensus in my circles is to back up the data but not the programs.
    > Don't want to get into that bucket of worms though.

    Yeah, I know what Joe Home-user generally does, but one either makes
    full backup or runs the risk of "You'll have to do all that all over
    again.", i.e. re-installing all newer and extra software, all
    re-configuration, all *information* needed for re-configuration, etc..
    IMO that task is way too difficult/cumbersome/time-consuming/
    for Joe, so he should make full backup. But I'm sure that when the
    excrements hit the rotating device, Joe will blame anyone but himself
    for his failure to do so.

  10. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 13:48:02 -0700, "Frankster" wrote:

    >As for other vendors, I can say that Dell supplies them with the machine.
    >But I don't view whether or not they are supplied or you have to make them
    >yourself as a really huge deal. Personally, I want the actual Install (from
    >scratch) MS CD (OEM or not).
    >
    >Anyway, just my view.
    >
    >-Frank

    Well, SOMETIMES Dell supplies the OS, driver, and utility CDs with the computer.
    Lately, you have to ask to get them for sure. And they suffer from exactly the
    same defect as burning your own CDs or using the recovery partition. In all
    cases, the OS gets restored back to more or less the condition it was in when it
    left the assembly line. In other words, the 100+ MB of Windows band-aid
    patches are not applied. Likewise any other software the owner of the computer
    may have installed. Of course, the advantage of having the OS & driver install
    CD in hand is that if the hard drive fails completely, there is enough software
    to reload the OS and drivers. People are really in a bind if a hard drive with
    a recovery partition fails. There is no way to use recovery partition on a
    failed drive... Ben Myers

  11. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "Gonzo" wrote
    > Dear Condescending Dumbass!

    That reminds me of a manager I used to work with - If you can't win an
    argument, use foul language and get personal.

  12. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Gee, we worked for the same ex-boss. Or maybe he has an evil twin? ... Ben
    Myers

    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:08:33 +0100, "Jez T"
    wrote:

    >"Gonzo" wrote
    >> Dear Condescending Dumbass!

    >That reminds me of a manager I used to work with - If you can't win an
    >argument, use foul language and get personal.

  13. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    "Jez T" wrote in message

    > "Gonzo" wrote
    >> Dear Condescending Dumbass!

    > That reminds me of a manager I used to work with - If you can't win an
    > argument, use foul language and get personal.

    The irony is that I wasn't even attempting to be foul.

    I was trying to be as accurate as possible in my description of the person I
    was replying too.

    Imagine that.

  14. Re: HP refuses to provide XP installation CD

    Davy wrote:
    > Have a peep hear and see what you make of it...?
    >
    > http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62357
    >
    > Sometimes the makers put a copy of the installation files on the hard
    > drive and all you got to do is to burn em'.
    >
    > Don't like posting links to other forum but what the heck if it helps
    > folks.
    >
    > Davy

    There are two ways: write the folder c:\windows\i386 to CD. The web has
    instructions on how to install from this folder. Also, HP usually has a
    full copy of the folder i386 somewhere on the root of the C: drive.