:( Broke my laptop - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on :( Broke my laptop - Hewlett Packard ; So I was typing on my HP laptop with it on my lap, and when I got up (holding my laptop), it somehow slipped out of my hand. I instinctively tried to grab it before it fell on the ground ...

  1. :( Broke my laptop

    So I was typing on my HP laptop with it on my lap, and when I got up
    (holding my laptop), it somehow slipped out of my hand. I instinctively
    tried to grab it before it fell on the ground but I ended up yanking
    the wire. Anyway, I don't know how to describe it, but the little tiny
    stick thing (on the computer) where you plug in your AC plug to charge
    the computer is broken. Obviously, the computer worked for a while
    because the battery was full, but now I can't charge it. Can I fix this
    if I take it to some service shop? Most importantly, how much will it
    cost?

    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: :( Broke my laptop

    I would send it back to HP (coordinate first and get an RMA). Even if not
    under warranty, they should fix it for you at a reasonable cost.

    -Frank

    wrote in message
    news:1162387332.749280.177200@k70g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > So I was typing on my HP laptop with it on my lap, and when I got up
    > (holding my laptop), it somehow slipped out of my hand. I instinctively
    > tried to grab it before it fell on the ground but I ended up yanking
    > the wire. Anyway, I don't know how to describe it, but the little tiny
    > stick thing (on the computer) where you plug in your AC plug to charge
    > the computer is broken. Obviously, the computer worked for a while
    > because the battery was full, but now I can't charge it. Can I fix this
    > if I take it to some service shop? Most importantly, how much will it
    > cost?
    >
    > thanks in advance.

  3. Re: :( Broke my laptop

    On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:11:26 -0700, "Frankster"
    wrote:

    >I would send it back to HP (coordinate first and get an RMA). Even if not
    >under warranty, they should fix it for you at a reasonable cost.

    Define reasonable first. HP tried to charge me almost $400 for a worn
    rollers in HP Laserjet 4. I ended up elsewhere and found the new set
    of HP rollers for under $20 and easy instruction on repairing it.

    It's the labor charge that can kill your wallet.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

  4. Re: :( Broke my laptop

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:11:26 -0700, "Frankster"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would send it back to HP (coordinate first and get an RMA). Even if not
    >> under warranty, they should fix it for you at a reasonable cost.

    > Define reasonable first. HP tried to charge me almost $400 for a worn
    > rollers in HP Laserjet 4. I ended up elsewhere and found the new set
    > of HP rollers for under $20 and easy instruction on repairing it.
    >
    > It's the labor charge that can kill your wallet.

    IN every case with HP where I have had a broken power input plug, HP's
    solution is to replace the entire mainboard at a cost of $350-500 US.
    There are repair shops that can repair this for $75-90. It is expensive
    because the laptop has to be COMPLETELY disassembled and the mainboard
    removed to do this repair. I can assure you that HP will tell you this
    is NOT covered under any kind of standard warranty.

  5. Re: :( Broke my laptop

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:11:26 -0700, "Frankster"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would send it back to HP (coordinate first and get an RMA). Even if not
    >> under warranty, they should fix it for you at a reasonable cost.

    > Define reasonable first. HP tried to charge me almost $400 for a worn
    > rollers in HP Laserjet 4. I ended up elsewhere and found the new set
    > of HP rollers for under $20 and easy instruction on repairing it.
    >
    > It's the labor charge that can kill your wallet.

    You can forget having HP fix this under warranty unless you purchased an
    additional warranty protection for accidental damage. Under the standard
    warranty, a broken power jack is user abuse and will not be repaired
    free. Expect $300 to $500 for a new mainboard (motherboard)! Check out
    some of the laptop repair facilities on the Internet. They can generally
    repair your broken power jack for $75 to $100. It is expensive because
    the laptop has to be TOTALLY disassembled to affect repairs.

  6. Re: :( Broke my laptop

    Check out the thread on faulty power jacks too. Its got a ton of
    various fixes for power jacks that have broken, although most of
    those broke because of shoddy manufacturing and design rather than
    accident.
    Sending the laptop to HP to repair would most likely result in the
    expensive mobo replacement charge.
    In any case, if you're fairly comfortable with taking apart
    electronics, can get a hold of a service manual for disassembly
    instructions, and can solder things, you can buy a replacement jack
    online for like $10 and fix it yourself. If you don't think you can
    or don't have the time, send it to a repair shop, they'll fix it for
    at most half the price that HP would charge.

+ Reply to Thread