Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs. - Hewlett Packard ; Hewlett Packard has discontinued all shipments of their printer models psc1610, psc 2355 as well as other models that use the 95,96 cartridges. why? Because they've been replaced with new models that use cartrides with 5ml of ink. the 96 ...

  1. Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs.

    Hewlett Packard has discontinued all shipments of their printer models
    psc1610, psc 2355 as well as other models that use the 95,96
    cartridges.

    why?

    Because they've been replaced with new models that use cartrides with
    5ml of ink. the 96 cartridges had 11ml of ink and yielded hundreds of
    copies. The new cartridges will yield less than half, before needing
    replaced.

    They were already making a fortune off these $20 dollar cartridges and
    now, they want to double these profits.

  2. Re: Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs.

    Is anybody really surprised? HP, Lexmark, Canon, Epson. They're all doing
    everything possible to shortchange customers on ink cartridges, especially for
    printers at the low end. In other words, the low-priced CHEAP printers.

    Nobody has the guts to compare life cycle costs, say, over just one year to see
    what these printers truly cost, and make this information public. In the
    meantime, people complain a little bit, then open up their billfolds, pull out
    cash or credit card, and pay, pay, pay.

    Everyone is so much in love with color printing, especially photos. And the
    cost is astronomical. People get what they pay for. Look before you leap?
    Caveat emptor?

    Me? I do not have a color printer here. I use an older HP LaserJet 5M with
    network card, PostScript and maximum memory for inexpensive and reliable B&W
    printing... Ben Myers

    On 31 Aug 2006 16:43:16 -0700, "Fact Attack" wrote:

    >Hewlett Packard has discontinued all shipments of their printer models
    >psc1610, psc 2355 as well as other models that use the 95,96
    >cartridges.
    >
    >why?
    >
    >Because they've been replaced with new models that use cartrides with
    >5ml of ink. the 96 cartridges had 11ml of ink and yielded hundreds of
    >copies. The new cartridges will yield less than half, before needing
    >replaced.
    >
    >They were already making a fortune off these $20 dollar cartridges and
    >now, they want to double these profits.

  3. Re: Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs.

    all doing
    especially for
    printers.

    yes, Hewlett packard was , before this move, charging about half per
    page than lexmark, canon, and epson.

    which sort of wreaks of some kind of price fixing. Like the damn
    battery industry, ****ing duracell and energizer, tell me they aren't
    fixing the price of these damn batteries that are half charged.

    yet, Hewlett packard still are the best quality printers, consumer
    reports gives the hewlett packard printers the only 'excellent' rating
    for graphics quality, they don't give out that rating lightly. I've
    printed with one and the graphics quality is quite stunning, even
    better than the thousand dollar printers.

  4. Re: Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs.

    Fact Attack wrote:
    > Hewlett Packard has discontinued all shipments of their printer models
    > psc1610, psc 2355 as well as other models that use the 95,96
    > cartridges.
    >
    > why?
    >
    > Because they've been replaced with new models that use cartrides with
    > 5ml of ink. the 96 cartridges had 11ml of ink and yielded hundreds of
    > copies. The new cartridges will yield less than half, before needing
    > replaced.
    >
    > They were already making a fortune off these $20 dollar cartridges and
    > now, they want to double these profits.

    The 1610 is still listed for sale on the HP website, but it is an
    somewhat old model so it wouldn't be surprizing if it got discontinued.
    The 2355 is old news - when was that last sold?

    Anyway, these models are not equivelant to the el cheapo ones that take
    the small cartrides. The 1610 is $130 and the brand new unit that
    probably will replace it and for now costs $5 more (but as much as 20
    more depending on whether they're offering rebates) is the C4180. By
    the time the C4180 gets as old as the 1610, no doubt its price will
    fall so it ends up about the same, but the big gain is in performance:
    it prints 30% faster and has twice the scan resolution.

    So what about the half the ink and twice the profits for HP claim you
    make? The C4180 takes the black #98 which has a cost / page of 5
    cents, or 4.5 if you buy the twinpacks. The 1610's #94 has a cost /
    page of 4.4 cents or 4 cents for the twinpack. The difference is
    greater with the colour: the #97 costs 7.7 cents /page vs 9.6 for the
    #95.

    So, yes the new model is somewhat more expensive to run, especially for
    the colour printing, but nothing like what you claim.

    Plus, for an extra $50-60 you can get a C5180 with built-in Ethernet
    and colour printing that is almost as fast as black at 31 ppm, and
    which uses the new 02 cartridges, costing around 3.75 / 3.4 cents /
    page.

  5. Re: Consumer Report: Hewlett Packard goes for the consumer's throat on ink costs.

    > Hewlett Packard has discontinued all shipments of their printer models
    > psc1610, psc 2355 as well as other models that use the 95,96
    > cartridges.
    >
    > why?
    >
    > Because they've been replaced with new models that use cartrides with
    > 5ml of ink. the 96 cartridges had 11ml of ink and yielded hundreds of
    > copies. The new cartridges will yield less than half, before needing
    > replaced.
    >
    > They were already making a fortune off these $20 dollar cartridges and
    > now, they want to double these profits.

    ---------
    I haven't done the comparison but I wonder what the difference in cost
    would be to taking your camera's flash card or CD to Kinko's or Costco. I'm
    guessing it would be more.
    ---------

+ Reply to Thread