HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes with new, quiter, ATX units. The problem is it looks like the Kayaks have proprietary 24 pin power connectors on their motherboards. I have ...

  1. HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion

    Hi,

    I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes
    with new, quiter, ATX units. The problem is it looks like the Kayaks
    have proprietary 24 pin power connectors on their motherboards.

    I have actually tried hooking up an ATX power supply using a generic 20
    pin to 24 pin converter with no luck. When I tried this I simply got an
    orange power light but no other life to the machine.

    Two things that would help in this case are:

    1) Real HP 24 pin type to ATX 20 pin type converter.
    2) The pin out schematics for the 24 pin motherboard connector.

    Has anyone had any luck with this sort of conversion?

    Googling and news searches have come up pretty dry.

    Thanks,

    Stephen

  2. Re: HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:43:04 -0700, s wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes
    >with new, quiter, ATX units. The problem is it looks like the Kayaks
    >have proprietary 24 pin power connectors on their motherboards.
    >
    >I have actually tried hooking up an ATX power supply using a generic 20
    >pin to 24 pin converter with no luck. When I tried this I simply got an
    >orange power light but no other life to the machine.
    >
    >Two things that would help in this case are:
    >
    >1) Real HP 24 pin type to ATX 20 pin type converter.
    >2) The pin out schematics for the 24 pin motherboard connector.
    >
    >Has anyone had any luck with this sort of conversion?
    >
    >Googling and news searches have come up pretty dry.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Stephen

    I assume you don't want to simply replace the power supplies with HP-type
    units, so the fact that these are available on eBay for $25 won't help you?

    If so, sorry; I can't give you any information on the conversion.

  3. Re: HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion

    * s:

    > I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes
    > with new, quiter, ATX units.

    Why going through all the hazzle and not replacing just the PSU fan?
    Probably much easier and also much cheaper...

    BTW: The PSU fan usually is the smallest noise source in typical Kayaks...

    Benjamin, with Kayak XU

  4. Re: HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * s:
    >
    >> I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes
    >> with new, quiter, ATX units.

    > Why going through all the hazzle and not replacing just the PSU fan?
    > Probably much easier and also much cheaper...
    >
    > BTW: The PSU fan usually is the smallest noise source in typical Kayaks...
    >
    > Benjamin, with Kayak XU

    Thanks everyone, I took Benjamins advice and replaced the fan with a
    new panaflow unit which did the trick nicely. Total cost was about $10.

  5. Re: HP Kayak XAs ATX power supply conversion

    s wrote:
    > Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >
    >> * s:
    >>
    >>> I want to replace the noisy power supplies in my 3 HP Kayak XAs boxes
    >>> with new, quiter, ATX units.

    >> Why going through all the hazzle and not replacing just the PSU fan?
    >> Probably much easier and also much cheaper...
    >>
    >> BTW: The PSU fan usually is the smallest noise source in typical
    >> Kayaks...
    >>
    >> Benjamin, with Kayak XU

    > Thanks everyone, I took Benjamins advice and replaced the fan with a
    > new panaflow unit which did the trick nicely. Total cost was about $10.

    I forgot to mention that I had already replaced the CPU and case fans
    with panaflow units. In all there were three 80mm fans and one 92mm fan
    replaced in these cases. Now the loudest part of the box are the old
    IDE drives that are due for replacement soon.

    Thanks again,

    Stephen

+ Reply to Thread