Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer? - Hewlett Packard ; re trying to use an HP 9050 printer to generate some documentation that is prepared by an old DOS program. The program needs to be able to shift the printer between normal print, and compressed print. It has configuration settings ...

  1. Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer?

    re trying to use an HP 9050 printer to generate some documentation that is
    prepared by an old DOS program. The program needs to be able to shift the
    printer between normal print, and compressed print. It has configuration
    settings for the following:

    Printer init.
    Go to compressed print (I think this is the old 17 CPI)
    Return to normal (12 CPI I think)
    Got to expanded mode.

    Hp's support (which seems to have been off shored :0() doesn't even seem to
    understand the question.

    Any ideas where to look for this information?

    neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. Re: Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer?

    I can help you cast a wider net for the info. The commands you are talking
    about go way back to the ancestor PCL 4 that preceded the PCL 5 language
    implementation. So just about any PCL 4 or PCL 5 command reference will do.
    Your best bet would be to find a PCL command reference on line, if you can't get
    a paper reference.

    HP does not perceive itself competing with PostScript, which has oodles and
    oodles of on-line and printed information about printing with the language.
    Instead, HP has steadily made PCL info less and less available... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:25:24 +0000 (UTC), Stan Brown wrote:

    >re trying to use an HP 9050 printer to generate some documentation that is
    >prepared by an old DOS program. The program needs to be able to shift the
    >printer between normal print, and compressed print. It has configuration
    >settings for the following:
    >
    >Printer init.
    >Go to compressed print (I think this is the old 17 CPI)
    >Return to normal (12 CPI I think)
    >Got to expanded mode.
    >
    >Hp's support (which seems to have been off shored :0() doesn't even seem to
    >understand the question.
    >
    >Any ideas where to look for this information?

  3. Re: Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer?

    In Ben Myers writes:

    >I can help you cast a wider net for the info. The commands you are talking
    >about go way back to the ancestor PCL 4 that preceded the PCL 5 language
    >implementation. So just about any PCL 4 or PCL 5 command reference will do.
    >Your best bet would be to find a PCL command reference on line, if you can't get
    >a paper reference.

    >HP does not perceive itself competing with PostScript, which has oodles and
    >oodles of on-line and printed information about printing with the language.
    >Instead, HP has steadily made PCL info less and less available... Ben Myers

    Thnaks, that does help.

    neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer?

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > I can help you cast a wider net for the info. The commands you are talking
    > about go way back to the ancestor PCL 4 that preceded the PCL 5 language
    > implementation. So just about any PCL 4 or PCL 5 command reference will do.
    > Your best bet would be to find a PCL command reference on line, if you can't get
    > a paper reference.
    >
    > HP does not perceive itself competing with PostScript, which has oodles and
    > oodles of on-line and printed information about printing with the language.
    > Instead, HP has steadily made PCL info less and less available... Ben Myers

    Ben,

    You could try typing "PCL reference" into the search box on HP's home
    page. The information is there if you know how to use a search engine.

  5. Re: Escape sequences for HP 9050 printer?

    Why so it is! I would also expect to find a link to a PCL reference from any of
    the HP PCL printers, but no. The HP web site is not known for ease of
    navigation... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:17:30 -0600, craigm wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> I can help you cast a wider net for the info. The commands you are talking
    >> about go way back to the ancestor PCL 4 that preceded the PCL 5 language
    >> implementation. So just about any PCL 4 or PCL 5 command reference will do.
    >> Your best bet would be to find a PCL command reference on line, if you can't get
    >> a paper reference.
    >>
    >> HP does not perceive itself competing with PostScript, which has oodles and
    >> oodles of on-line and printed information about printing with the language.
    >> Instead, HP has steadily made PCL info less and less available... Ben Myers
    >>

    >Ben,
    >
    >You could try typing "PCL reference" into the search box on HP's home
    >page. The information is there if you know how to use a search engine.

+ Reply to Thread