Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site - Hewlett Packard ; Is there always a problem downloading software from the hp site or is it just that when I try the request times out? This has happened two or three times to me over the past few months... I am currently ...

  1. Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site

    Is there always a problem downloading software from the hp site or is it
    just that when I try the request times out? This has happened two or three
    times to me over the past few months...

    I am currently trying to get hold of all the drivers for a Compaq Presario
    6000 but despite being directed to a download location, nothing appears from
    the ftp site.

    Is there anywhere else I can get hold of specific drivers??

    dc

  2. Re: Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site

    I was about to suggest an alternative for downloading software, based on the
    chipsets inside your computer. Then the HP web site turned up about 50
    different models claiming to be Presario 6000. Which exact model do you have?
    Notebook or desktop? ... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:24:51 -0000, "dc" wrote:

    >Is there always a problem downloading software from the hp site or is it
    >just that when I try the request times out? This has happened two or three
    >times to me over the past few months...
    >
    >I am currently trying to get hold of all the drivers for a Compaq Presario
    >6000 but despite being directed to a download location, nothing appears from
    >the ftp site.
    >
    >Is there anywhere else I can get hold of specific drivers??
    >
    >dc

  3. Re: Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site

    Sorry, for the delay in replying... I have solved my problem by sticking a
    new ethernet apapter in the pc.

    I spend ages bouncing emails back and forth betweem HP before it became
    apparent that this model had a modified board that wasn't documented. I
    haven't got the pc now but the board (which was marked as MS- something or
    other) was on the HP website but without the integrated ethernet card.

    HP tech support couldn't work out why I was asking for a driver for a
    feature that wasn't standard issue despite it being there as plain as the
    nose on your face..

    Thanks for replying..

    dc

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    >I was about to suggest an alternative for downloading software, based on
    >the
    > chipsets inside your computer. Then the HP web site turned up about 50
    > different models claiming to be Presario 6000. Which exact model do you
    > have?
    > Notebook or desktop? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:24:51 -0000, "dc" wrote:
    >
    >>Is there always a problem downloading software from the hp site or is it
    >>just that when I try the request times out? This has happened two or three
    >>times to me over the past few months...
    >>
    >>I am currently trying to get hold of all the drivers for a Compaq Presario
    >>6000 but despite being directed to a download location, nothing appears
    >>from
    >>the ftp site.
    >>
    >>Is there anywhere else I can get hold of specific drivers??
    >>
    >>dc

  4. Re: Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site

    An "MS-" board is a MicroStar board, i.e. one manufactured for HP by MicroStar
    to meet HP requirements. Sometimes HP (or Dell or IBM or Gateway)
    "requirements" include removal(!) of standard manufacturer options, to cut
    costs, or because HP (or other) wants to implement the feature with different
    hardware. With HP, I would not be surprised if the Ethernet adapter had a
    Realtek chip, a recent HP favorite, as HP drives its manufactured costs even
    lower.

    I have never been in love with MicroStar boards ever since a great many of them
    were manufactured with substandard capacitors on the motherboard. The
    capacitors often exploded after a time, leaving a dead motherboard. In other
    cases, the capacitors leaked their dielectric content or simply bulged. The
    results were the same, either dead or unreliable boards... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 00:24:31 -0000, "dc" wrote:

    >Sorry, for the delay in replying... I have solved my problem by sticking a
    >new ethernet apapter in the pc.
    >
    >I spend ages bouncing emails back and forth betweem HP before it became
    >apparent that this model had a modified board that wasn't documented. I
    >haven't got the pc now but the board (which was marked as MS- something or
    >other) was on the HP website but without the integrated ethernet card.
    >
    > HP tech support couldn't work out why I was asking for a driver for a
    >feature that wasn't standard issue despite it being there as plain as the
    >nose on your face..
    >
    >Thanks for replying..
    >
    >dc
    >

    >"Ben Myers" wrote in message
    >>I was about to suggest an alternative for downloading software, based on
    >>the
    >> chipsets inside your computer. Then the HP web site turned up about 50
    >> different models claiming to be Presario 6000. Which exact model do you
    >> have?
    >> Notebook or desktop? ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:24:51 -0000, "dc" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there always a problem downloading software from the hp site or is it
    >>>just that when I try the request times out? This has happened two or three
    >>>times to me over the past few months...
    >>>
    >>>I am currently trying to get hold of all the drivers for a Compaq Presario
    >>>6000 but despite being directed to a download location, nothing appears
    >>>from
    >>>the ftp site.
    >>>
    >>>Is there anywhere else I can get hold of specific drivers??
    >>>
    >>>dc

  5. Re: Problem Downloading Drivers from HP Site

    I've never thought much of ms boards from Microstar, either. I know HP ship
    a awful lot of pc's but they really should be able to keep a record of what
    machines use what parts, don't you think?

    Incidentally, over the past 5 years I've installed a fair few motherboards
    and despite the hype of IT magazine writers for the latest (and expensive)
    models, I've had great reliability with boards from Elite and Asrock. They
    are certainly at the budget end of the market and may lack some advanced
    features (which I'm guessing, 99% of users never even know exist...).

    Ignoring overclocking features, what sort of performance gain could you
    expect from buying a board costing 4 or 5 times the cost of a budget option,
    (all things being equal)?

    dc

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    > An "MS-" board is a MicroStar board, i.e. one manufactured for HP by
    > MicroStar
    > to meet HP requirements. Sometimes HP (or Dell or IBM or Gateway)
    > "requirements" include removal(!) of standard manufacturer options, to cut
    > costs, or because HP (or other) wants to implement the feature with
    > different
    > hardware. With HP, I would not be surprised if the Ethernet adapter had a
    > Realtek chip, a recent HP favorite, as HP drives its manufactured costs
    > even
    > lower.
    >
    > I have never been in love with MicroStar boards ever since a great many of
    > them
    > were manufactured with substandard capacitors on the motherboard. The
    > capacitors often exploded after a time, leaving a dead motherboard. In
    > other
    > cases, the capacitors leaked their dielectric content or simply bulged.
    > The
    > results were the same, either dead or unreliable boards... Ben Myers

+ Reply to Thread