Upgrading ZV5000 notebook memory/mainboard - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Upgrading ZV5000 notebook memory/mainboard - Hewlett Packard ; I had my laptop apart to the bolts last night (pray that if a part on your ZV goes, it is not the soundcard, as that appears to be the most buried piece of hardware...). Anyway, I had the machine ...

  1. Upgrading ZV5000 notebook memory/mainboard

    I had my laptop apart to the bolts last night (pray that if a part on
    your ZV goes, it is not the soundcard, as that appears to be the most
    buried piece of hardware...). Anyway, I had the machine apart and I am
    now stuck on the idea of upgrading the video.

    The laptop is currently running a GeForce4Go! (or something like that;
    64mb I believe, I am not at home). I know that newer ZV models have
    128m Radeon x200 or better. I am reasonably certain that I cannot
    seperate the mobo from the video adapter (though I would love to be
    corrected on that if mistaken), but i would be willing to swap out the
    entire mainboard to get what I want.

    Does anyone know, or know a way to find out, if other ZV-series mobos
    can swap in cleanly? For example, I have seen zv6000 series boards in
    the $300 range, but the form factor looks a bit different -- the cut of
    the PCB is obviously different, but I am not certain that will keep me
    from swapping it in. I guess I am looking for an HP repair guy who has
    seen all the guts, or some website that covers laptop opgrading
    compatibilities/techniques... or something. Even if someone knows a
    good source for junk parts, I'd be willing to open the thing up again
    and try to mount a fried mobo just to see if it goes in.

    Thanks in advance for any info!
    -m

  2. Re: Upgrading ZV5000 notebook memory/mainboard

    err... I meant Video, not memory... apologies.

  3. Re: Upgrading ZV5000 notebook memory/mainboard

    ZV's have an integrated Video chipset and you better leave well enoug
    alone. You cannot change this w/out a BGA remount staion cost of 5
    used. What exactly is the problem ou are having? If its working leav
    it be,it cannot be upgraded unless you are equipped to do BGA.. There
    no pint in going to a 128 M Vid chipset board unless you are doin
    X-treme graphics prog's..

+ Reply to Thread